1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Strange Fruit

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Jan 15, 2006.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    1. I thought that this whas the case. Indeed in wood it looks much better.

2. At this point you did that job.

3.You did that. Looks very convincing without stereotype.

4.And that is what is coming up in this diorama.

I really looking forward to this diorama Bob. It is always great to see a diorama tells a trough story, even it is the unbelieveble history of America. After the disaster with the Native American's i thought they had to know better. But history repeats itself as they say.
    In my opinion you are doing a great job on the history, you let the people see the history that will be forgotten after decade's.
    So for me this diorama is a contribution to keep the history alive.

Chapeau

Marc
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, To answer your question, I feel you have. Then again, when depicting an event that was just plain brutal sometimes you have to show it the way it was/is. In my opinion none of the figures appear to be a stereotype of the subject presented. I really like Benton's work and I can see the influence there in the construction and painting of the figures. Great stuff, from an artistic standpoint that is.~Gary
  4. nagashino New Member

Hello Bob

You have a masterful way of encapsulating the oft-times grim reality of history into your dios. This isn't a period of US history that we over here would have much knowledge of, more's the pity maybe. That said, we have a few skeletons in our own cupboard too, not entirely in the colonies either.

Thanks for posting this Bob. It brings home to one just how important racial tolerance is to this world.

Best regards

Phil
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    If you notice in just about all of Benton's work the clothes have no patterning on them. They are just plain colors rendered in an exaggerated and flowing 3D style. So I consciously did not put any patterning in the clothes except the old man with the pinstripe pants. I also tried to receate that flowing style without going too far astray of reality into the impressionistic realm. The oveall coloration fo the scene I am trying to keep within the Benton palette as well. I think he is one of the better American painters and as the subject is so American he seemed to be the perfect influence.
  6. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Bob !
    That's an EXCELLENT JOB on a REALLY TOUGH subject matter (y) (y) (y) !!!! I,too,would have to agree with the others that you have handled the subject matter really well here. WELL DONE !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  7. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Bob - All I can say is "Wow!"

I think you have treated the subject with respect - yet accurately. It's apt to be controversial, especially in some areas of the US, but I think you are brave for tackling it. Keep up the great work.Looking forward to seeing this one completed and in person. Done by MFCA - I hope??
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Here is the truck reworked to fit the scene:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Probably.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Bob,

This is modelling. Woww, what a great reworked diecast car.
    It fits so naturaly in the scene.
    Yes, i must say something: the frontlights need some weathering.
    Further: GREAT. (great and long yell )

Marc
  11. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Bob,

since I saw your Diorama for the first time I had a lots of thoughts about it. I´m not sure how I can tell you what I think about it, because I don`t want to be misunderstood.

Part One: I think your Diorama is very well done. Great sculpting and painting and the setting is perfect. The truck you showed at last is absolutly great. The whole thing is coming along very well....

Part Two:...but I can not say, that I like what I see. Always when I have a look on this piece I have horrible feelings. There is so much pain on this scene... But I think it is exactly what you want to let the viewer feel. As you said before, it is a part of history and it is a part of history wich I will never understand...it is like the holocaust...unbelievable what mankind is able to do to each other.... Such things always make me sad.

The best wishes,
    Markus
  12. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Marc. you don't miss a trick, do you? ;)

I will dust up the headlights with pastels to stay in keeping with the dustiness of the rest of the vehicle.

I have been pretty impressed with die-cast cars as they come in 1/32, cover an extensive period of time, and have decent variety of types of vehicles. When they are modified they can yield decent results and as I am always on the hunt for period vehicles they fit the bill perfectly.
  13. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Markus,

I think you said it very well and I do understand. There are many things in history that successive generations wish to forget because they are too painful or so beyond belief they defy understanding. I wanted only to remind people that history, in all of its fascination, elegance and warts, is a great teacher if we are willing to learn and never forget.
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, The truck weathered up really well. It will be interesting to hear what viewers have to say, if anything when you display this piece.~Gary
  15. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    As a non-American I've held off posting on this thread whilst I thought hard about my words.
    Artistically, and from a modelling point of view I can't fault your work - it's excellent. Idealistically this subject must rate with the holocaust & POW camps / prisoner massacre as topics that become very emotive and hard to view objectively.
    I feel that you have captured a moment from American history that will be distasteful to many viewers, but a moment that in it's own way will have helped to shape the nation that you have today.
    From this point of view I reckon that you're correct to have built this piece and that you've used the right amount of interaction between the factions portrayed - a piece of history captured in miniature and so well modelled.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    O yes, i missed alot.
    But the more you look to something beautifull that is building up there is always a little thing that the man/woman who building it looks over.
    That's why i always look with a positive critism to pieces. It is always mean as constructive critism. And i now very sure that you can have it. So that's why i wrote it.
    Keep going with this piece, because how awefull this period off history was, you do justice to this.
    Artwork.

Marc
  17. btavis Active Member

United-States
    That's very true.
  18. btavis Active Member

United-States
    This morbid little scene is almost completed. It needs molding and a name plaque. All figures are in position and aside from some touch up here and there this is pretty much what it looks like.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Bob,

:eek: :eek: (y)

It is simply amazing what you can do. GREAT GREAT WORK.

Marc
  20. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello Bob!

I'm glad you got it finished! It must have been a very difficult job, and maybe it is not "pleasant" to look at for everybody, but I think you truly did the history behind it justice. My hat of to you!

Marijn