1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stormtroopers

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Robin, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Dear All,

Here at stormtroopers we would like to publically thank some people who answered our plea for painters.

So a special thanks goes to the following people, Richard Evans,Anders Heintz, Patrick Kirk,Rob Herring,David Oswalt,Terry Martin and Joe Hudson. Thanks alot guys we are truly gratefull for everything that you all have done.

If you ever see us at a show come and see us we would love to met you all.

we would also like to thank all the painters that mailed us in the end it was 17 people.

Thanks

The Stormtroopers Team
  2. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I also thought I would post the painted figures as they come back.

This is the Nelson Painted By Richard Evans
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Well done Richard.....exceptional work.

Guy (y)
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Richard,

Nice work. This looks like a very nice figure. Looking forward to seeing more of them painted.

Joe
  5. Richard E New Member

Thanks for the comments guys, it was an really nice figure to paint thanks to the sculpting by Alan Ball, (and the casting - easy to remove gates and minor flash)

and being a bit of a departure from anything Russian and medieval, was a nice change in that you can't go wrong becaue it can only be painted one way.
  6. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is figure number two By Anders Heintz
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

Looks like a nice job with the bust. Thanks Robin for posting them.

Joe
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Rob and Joe :)

Thanks for posting pic, was a lot of fun to paint, I'll post some more larger pics in a while. Thanks Joe, looking forward to see your figure :)
  9. Richard E New Member

Hi Anders

Lovely work, I'm painting that one myself at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. It's gpoing to be interesting to see what everybody has done when Robin posts them all.
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Richard!

Im anxious to see your interpretation of this nice little bust. Good work on the Nelson figure, what medium do you paint in?
  11. Richard E New Member

Hi Anders, thanks.

I paint in watercolour and inks as a rule, but have been known to use tube acrylics when I need raised detail.

I'll take some progress shots of the bust and post.

Richard
  12. MSzwarc New Member

Richard,

When you say watercolors, do you mean artists watercolors, or guache, or are you referring to liquid acrylics such as Vallejo or Andrea? I've read of others using watercolors, but it's never been entirely clear to me what type of paint is being referred to .

Mike
  13. Richard E New Member

Hi Mike,

I tend to favour Windsor & Newton watercolour and gauche.

that is the tube watercolours (as opposed to the blocks of colour you can buy), I only use watercolour because it is a medium I am happy with, and use it in another life as an illustrator, and I only favour W&N because a good range is stocked by my local supplier. When I use acrylic I am happy with the Daler & Rowney System 3 tubes, because they are creamier than W&N, and Liquitex tends to leave a sheen.

Hope this answers your question.

Richard
  14. MSzwarc New Member

Thanks for the info, Richard,

Now I have some more questions. Do you use the watercolors straight from the tube, or dilute them? How do you go about shading and highlighting? And finally, do you need to protect the paint with a clearcoat of some kind, or does the watercolor dry hard and permanent?

I've been trying water-soluble oils, but I'm not especially happy with them. I've dabbled in watercolors (on paper) over the years, and I like the look of them. I'd be interested in hearing more about the techniques you use.

Mike
  15. Richard E New Member

Hi Mike

I dilute them always, I basically paint in a series of washes, building up the colour gradually. This allows me to make changes to the tint as I go if I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. I have to say that the flesh is the only place where I'll use watercolour exclusively as I think it gives a more translucent effect.

Guache is a bit more opaque so that is what I use for cloth basecoats, and highlights, then watercolour for the shadows, again in thin washes, building up the layers light to dark (as you would on paper).

Flesh is done as a wet on wet technique, and cloth is wet on dry.

If I need to create raised detail (such as a damask cloth) or need to pick out detail like insignia, then I'll use the tube acrylics.

I have been known to use varnishes, but more as a tool for creating an effect rather than to seal in.

Hope that keeps you going for now, but please ask more if you need to.

Richard
  16. MSzwarc New Member

Richard,
    Thanks again. I appreciate the info :) .

Mike
  17. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all

And here come no3 from Patrick Kirk, a stunning Job.

Robin