1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stormtroopers Sergeant Masterson

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ST120/16 Sergeant Masterson, 87th Regiment, Barrosa 1811. Please note the figure doesn’t have the white plume as depicted. The scale of the figure is 120mm.

masterson01.jpg masterson02.jpg

masterson03.jpg masterson04.jpg

masterson05.jpg

This is one of the latest releases from Stormtroopers. The figure represents Sergeant Masterson, 87th Regiment, Barrosa 1811. Sculpted by Maurice Corry and box art painting by Sang Eon Lee.

IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg

The parts are supplied in a sturdy cardboard box well protected with bubble wrap. The kit is cast in eleven light grey resin parts and is supplied with two lengths of brass rods to accommodate the standard and the spear. There is an A4 sheet of painting instructions included.

IMG3.jpg IMG4.jpg

We can see the main body from front and rear which has been cast in one section. A close inspection shows outstanding detail with minimal cleanup and removal of the mould blocks.

IMG5.jpg

The tree angles on the head show the excellent detail that Maurice has sculpted into the face and the hat insignia.

IMG6.jpg

The Arms are cast without the hands, good detail and quality casing is shown in the cuff and arm insignia.

IMG7.jpg

Detail of the back pack.

IMG8.jpg

Finley detail sword and scabbard with only a few mould blocks to remove and wafer thin flashing from the casting process.

IMG9.jpg

The hands are cast separately and have the holes to hold the supplied brass rods.

IMG10.jpg

A close up of the standard eagle and spear head which attach to the supplied brass rods.

Conclusion:
    Another fine release from Stormtroopers, Maurice has done a wonderful job on the sculpting of this figure and the casting and detail are exceptional. Highly recommended.
    Availability:

Availability:

Stormtroopers: http://www.stormtrooperminiatures.co.uk/
    S.K.Miniatures: http://www.skminiatures.co.uk/
    El Greco Miniatures: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/
    BestSoldiers: http://www.bestsoldiershop.com/
    Soga Miniatures: http://www.soga-miniatures.com/

Cheers
    Tommi
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    great review on a great looking figure Tommi ! (y)
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    An Englishman standing on the body of a dead Frenchman. Well, that's quite a bold statement. I'm not sure this will sell well in France, but I'm sure English Napoleonic fans will love it.

The figure itself is great (and beautifully painted - although the tunic does seem a little orange to me), but I'm not too keen on the partial corpse and the triumphant pose.

Thanks for the great review Tommi.
  4. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A close up of the base

base.jpg

Tommi
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just out of interest Tony, Masterson was Irish as was his regiment. :)

It's a very nice figure but personally I would leave out the dead Frenchman.

Thanks for the review Tommi.

Roger.

Just found this illustration that might be of interest. Not sure of it's date at the moment.

Attached Files:

6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work. Like this very much.
    Real History in miniature......
    Thanks for the revieuw Tommi.

Marc
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger,

I can see where the inspiration for the figure came from now that I've seen that pic. It makes more sense now, but like you, I would have left the dead Frenchy out of the kit.

I suppose if you don't like the dead Frenchy you can always leave him out and put a log or a piece of raised ground under the foot.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'd probably do the same Tony.

What would worry me now is, was Masterson in the Grenadier Company, as in the kit or a Centre Company as in the illustration. Is this going too far? :)

Roger
  9. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the review tommi.

As far as I can gather he was a sergeant of the grenadier company, the information for this comes from wellingtons peninsular regiments by osprey.

The picture from which the inspiration was taken was published in london by dighton only 2 months after the event and is considered the most accurate.

I found the pose and idea so good I got moz to sculpt it as this is what he does best.

The base can be left out if you dont like dead bodies, but why you would put your foot up on a rock to celebrate is a bit daft.

This was the first eagle to be captured by a british regiment and as such was a prized and momentous moment at the time.

Stuart
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the additional info Stuart. Maurice has done an excellent job. This has got to be a must for any fan of British Napoleonic subjects.

Roger.
  11. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    [IMG]

Yes, this is definitely a "must and soon" for me. Of course, Dighton was living in London at the time of Barrosa and would have only heard of the event. Hamilton Smith's painting, also made within months of the event is seriously in error, as noted before. A third version, from British Battles and unattributed, is shown here.
    As Stuart mentions, the best readily available source is Osprey's Wellington's Peninsular Regiments Vol 1, by Mike Chappell
  12. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    He was in No 5 company, a centre company.

Melanie
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Oh dear Melanie... let's see who hacks off those shoulder wings :D

Roger.
    clubcat likes this.
  14. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Don't believe all you read in the Osprey's....don't get me wrong they are excellent books but they are not infallible. There are 3 often displayed illustrations but sadly they all have some element or other which is incorrect.
    I may be terribly anal in this but I am in the midst of researching Mr Masterson and will be publishing a paper on him in the near future, hopefully before his bicentenary of the action. Primarily I'm doing this because I found so little information on him and the little there is is somewhat contradictory. Actually it's been great fun.

Melanie
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That sounds an interesting project Melanie. I find it interesting to research uniform details and make my figures as accurate as possible but in this case I don't think it detracts from what is a very well sculpted and painted figure. I haven't painted a Napoleonic figure in years but this one would tempt me.

Anyway just saying it is Sgt. Masterson as depicted in a Dighton print of 180? would cover it :D

Roger.
  16. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree, this is an outstanding figure. I bought one at euro. An excellent tribute to a gallant figure from history.

Melanie
  17. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Stuart, I assume Maurice is casting these ? Any idea when you might have the production castings in hand and ready to ship ?

TIA
  18. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Thanks For posting Tommie - yes a lovely sculpt and paint by Sang Eon, the dead combatant I would exchange for a large flat stone though.:)
  19. chailey Active Member

England
    superb figure, another one for my 'wish list', ( I'm not too sure about the cut off corpse either....)
  20. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A good review of a good figure Tommy. I like this one on so many different levels.

And I don't mind dead blokes.

As long as it ain't me.......