1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Stormtroopers Inniskilling Dragoon Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by WarhammerAdjacent, Mar 21, 2024.

1. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Another WIP, I got a great deal on this OOP bust and when it arrived I couldn't resist making a start. It's a lovely sculpt and I'm really looking forward to getting started in earnest.

IMG_8178.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

You were lucky to get that ,nice 1/12th Scale

Following with interest

If I may this version was painted by Trev Long ( seen on P n’ P ) ...might be of some use as reference (click on for larger images )

Happy benchtime

Nap

3B74D987-899E-46D4-91FD-606028DF9D23.jpeg B8D1F693-17D5-476F-A54A-2632C7966904.jpeg 67D1188F-4321-4073-BF8D-9EC887ECE5DF.jpeg
  3. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Very nice choice to paint. Looking forward to seeing future updates.

Malc
    Waterlooman likes this.
  4. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps. I have seen that one Nap, it’s really beautiful isn’t? I think I might have a bash at NMM for the braid. I’ve definitely learned a lesson from my last project and will be painting the yellow directly onto the white (or maybe over a pink base coat)
    Briggsy and Waterlooman like this.
  5. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

I made a little progress tonight. Reading through my copy of the figure FAQ book I spotted the bit about using military colours for the eyes as they are a little desaturated, it was a bit of a revelation and I managed to match the colours of my sons brown eyes with Vallejo British uniform.

I’m also pretty happy with the yellow, a colour I normally struggle with.

IMG_8200.jpeg

Plus a little time this morning to put some colour in his cheeks. I’m using the scale75 artist colour skin tone set which is great, I feel like I’m learning more about mixing (add green to brown for a deep shadow? Who’d have thought?) I wonder whether adding a touch of blue to the brown would give a good tone for shadows around the jaw in the same way.

IMG_8200.jpeg
    KenBoyle, Scotty, Przeborz and 5 others like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

Good work on flesh and the facings , looks like your enjoying this piece ......wish I still had mine !

Thanks for the updates

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Waterlooman likes this.
  7. Briggsy A Fixture

Lovely face and hand, maybe a catchlight on the eyeball would be good. What yellow did you use? As you say not an easy colour for anybody.

Cheers Simon
    Waterlooman and Nap like this.
  8. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks, I used the Scale75 artist colour set, this is just the yellow base (a mix of ochre yellow and intense yellow) over the white primer. I'm definitely going to switch to a lighter primer for future projects.
    Waterlooman and Nap like this.
  9. NigelR A Fixture

That's a really nice start. Keep going!
    Waterlooman likes this.
  10. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

I have t had much time this weekend but I hit some red on his jacket. I am using the scale75 artist colour set again, it’s interesting because the paints behave more like a thick glaze than I’m used to. I feel like I’m learning a lot about layers and mixing. They aren’t ideal for when you want to get straight to a particular colour in a couple of coats.

I think I’ll need to go over the highlights again tomorrow. I will probably also have a bash at his hair, I’m wondering about using oils over acrylics for that job when it comes round.

6685B6DD-D73F-4868-A31A-7EFC38581E90.jpeg E91DDB72-0EEE-466C-A2E1-1950D031CD15.jpeg 79472E6D-B4C2-4E69-B37F-84BDF14AB476.jpeg
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

Good start on the red , face is looking good as well

Have fun @ the bench

Nap
  12. Briggsy A Fixture

He's looking really good what colour did you use to block in around the collar in the first picture?

Cheers Simon
  13. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

I think it's just called 'purple', I think if I'd done a better job of wet blending into the red it would have led to a nice, subtle shadow.
    Briggsy likes this.
  14. Briggsy A Fixture

I was always told there is purple in every shadow, though the best shade for red is a touch of green. Couple more coats of both colours before you need to worry too much about blending imo.

Cheers Simon
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good from here;)
  16. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks all. A little more progress today. I didn’t like the way the highlights were going so I’ve tried to push them into ‘bright red’ rather than orange or faded red, I also enhanced the shadows a bit more. I think I should probably try to do the braid now so I can adjust the whole jacket as needed.

IMG_8245.jpeg
    Martin64, malc, NigelR and 4 others like this.
  17. Briggsy A Fixture

Some nice project, red is an awkward colour to highlight so going bright is a great way to achieve nice highlights.

Cheers Simon
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stefan

Your getting there with this , I would at least basecoat the lacework , to give it definition then look at the scarlet coat

Have fun and enjoy the benchtime

Nap
  19. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps. One thing I'm finding interesting/challenging here is painting order, trying to find a route that minimises the amount of cleanup required at each stage. I think starting with the yellow then the red made sense. I've now based the braid and started outlining, I can then 'cut in' with the red and grey. I think I'll then use lighter shades of grey, possibly stippling to give a nmm silver braid effect. Honestly it looks like such a mess right now, I'm a little worried I've messed it up. That said, trust the process and keep going. At least the face is looking ok.

IMG_8246.jpeg
    Martin64, NigelR and Briggsy like this.
  20. Briggsy A Fixture

Very nice progress, I agree though getting the sequence right helps a lot, another good tip is trying to paint the first coats as neat as the last, never been able to manage that though. The stippling on the silver lace sounds interesting, not a technique I'm familiar with so will watch with interest.

Cheers Simon