1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Stormtroopers Exclusive 200mm 12th SS MG 42 Gunner

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, May 3, 2012.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all!

As part of Stuarts range of Exclusives this beauty arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago. It's a Maurice Corry sculpt and it is awesome!

It will be released soon! Very soon :)

[IMG]

We needed a primer shot for the initial box art so once unpacked I started clean-up and fully pinned the figure.

[IMG]

After a full dry assembly I washed all the parts and sprayed them with Automotive primer and re assembled the piece.

[IMG]

The only part that needs to be made is the sling, but the fittings at either end are supplied. I used standard office printer paper to make it using lots of water to get it to conform to the shape required.

[IMG]

I ended up freezing the arm and gun together with thick super glue to add the sling. A squirt of primer got it looking the part.

[IMG]

Once the shots needed for the box art were " in the can " ( ;) ) I got started on the face ....

first here ....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Another session on the face ended here ....

[IMG]

Update soonest :)

Attached Files:

jimmyoc, tiger111, pmfs and 6 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi mark,
    A billiant sculpture from Maurice.......yet again. The super-detailing and pose are just amazing, and he seems to be producing so many figures?
    Great face Mate can't wait to see what you do with so many small bits and bobs, especially the cotton thread on the four hole buttons.;) Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  3. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Dancap will love this Bad Boy! Right up his alley.:)
  4. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Day one purchase for me, what a combo, Mark's painting on a MC sculpt!!
  5. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Following naturally,,,,,, my alltime favorite figgie brought to life. The sculpt is truley awesome , cheers Moz

Oh yesss,

Stuart
  6. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Another bust-buy for me! :)
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Will follow this intently

Ken
  8. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Top class figure. It will look great when complete. I think Moz based it on a contemporary photo taken after a failed counter attack by 12th SS near Caen 1944.
    Gordon
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    this should prove popular Stu, Moz has done an excellent job on it and with marks painting it should be stunning.

All the best

Steve
  10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Found on Flickr via Google

[IMG]

Caption reads
    "SS-Schütze Klaus Schuh (KIA 26.06.1944) and SS-Unterscharführer Koslowski, of SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 25, 12. SS-Panzerdivision 'Hitlerjugend' after the fierce fightings in Norrey-en-Bessin. Rots, northwest at Caen, Normandy. 9 June 1944."
    kaz6120 likes this.
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looks like the one Mark a great picture. Superb sculpting and looking forward to following .

Cheers Ken
  12. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great start Mark, will be following with interest!

I've looked into the famous set of photos taken in an alley in Rots. There is doubt about this photo showing Klaus Schuh, as another photo of him (being awarded an EK) shows he was quite short with a distinctive nose.

The sequence was taken after a bit of a mauling by the Canadians at Norrey, and they have retired to Villeneuve/Rots. The alleyway is still there, have a look on Google maps, near number 11 Route de Caen at Rots. The most famous guy in the photo sequence was Otto Funk (Google Otto and see what comes up).

I recommend 'Les Canadiens Face a La Hitlerjugend' by Geroges Bernage if you'd like to know more about this engagement, and like all Heimdal books (my favourites!) it's well illustrated. Bit difficult to find though, but book.jpg
    one at Fortress Books for 25 Euros. You could also get a copy of 'D-Day Then and Now' from your local library, volume 2 pages 494-499 has a lot of photos.

All the best,
    Jon.
    Dr Force likes this.
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This looks a great figure and definately one i will paint,look forward to seeing what you do with this (y)

Brian
  14. Ungarn1945 New Member

Canada
    excellent figure!. Cant wait to go back to the little villages in the Beachhead area. Myself a Canadian had a Grandfather whom fought against men like him. Ill be buying this gem.
  15. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Oh yes !!! what a figure !!! :eek: :) this will be finding its way into the stash ...

More fun camo (y)

Nice start ... Ive met Otto Funk many years ago
  16. moz A Fixture

England
    This is an MG section , pics taken in Norrey en Bessin, here a few more
    . norrey.jpg
    norrey 2.jpg
    norrey3.jpg
  17. moz A Fixture

England
    and heres the alley Jonathan is on about
    thealley.jpg
  18. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great photos Moz, and a stunningly excellent sculpt!

In the first photo the section moves off towards Route de Bayeux , the mg gunner standing in front of what is now the 'Boulanger Patissier' in Rots. All 3 phots were taken on June 9th 1944 during the fighting to capture Caen.

The second photo was taken from the end of the alley looking across the road to a garage (recommend going on Google maps to street level and having a look around - you'll see the garage). According to Georges Bernage the chap on the right of the photo is Wilhelm Boigk. The Panther tank in the background was Friedrich Eisemann's '326'. It was part of the attack by Rudolh von Ribbentrop's (son of the foreign minister) 3 kompanie, of Max Wunsche's SS-Pz-Regt-12. The attack was bloodily repulsed by Canadian Shermans, and of the 12 Panthers only 5 returned. Eisemann was standing in his turret when he was cut in half by a shell. In the photo you see Gerd Krieger cleaning off the blood from the turret of '326'. It's no wonder they all look so glum.

The third photo shows Otto Funk carring an ammo box over his shoulder. Nice modern comparison photo Moz. It's a shame the original wall has gone and is now concrete blocks.

Are you going to paint this fella in Italian camo like the photo Mark?

Cheers,
    Jon.
  19. Ungarn1945 New Member

Canada
    When the figure is released,what is the preferred site to buy it?:)
  20. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great start Mark! Looking forward to the paintwork from the rest of the figure.

Cheers,
    Marcel.