1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Stormtroopers Coldstream Guard Waterloo 1815 120m

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by taff edwards, May 23, 2014.

1. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys
    I have been looking at this for a while finally got it and its a gem sculpted by Moz ,I am sure many of you are familiar with the figure , I am going to do bit of a step by step paint ,I am not going to run through the history you are all pretty familiar with the get together Wellington and Napoleon had .
    It obviously depicts the "British Redcoat " of that period

" We gave them one volley and three cheers - three distinct cheers . then all was still as death .They came upon us crying and shouting , to the very point of our bayonets "
    Captain Thomas Pococke at Vimiero 1808

image.jpg

"The men are very proud of [officers] who are brave in the field and kind and considerate to the soldiers under them .... I know from experience that in our army the men liked best to be officered by gentleman "
    Rifleman Harris .. Recollections 1808

"The English remained quite and silent with shouldered arms , and from there steadiness they appeared to be a long red wall ...they began to fire .The enemy's steady, concentrated volleys swept our ranks.
    Thomas Bougeaud FRench Infantry officer in the Peninsular War.

image.jpg

" I don't know what effect these men will have on the enemy , but by god they terrify me .
    Duke of Wellington Peninsular War 1809

Well to the figure it is a super sculpt with beautiful clean crisp detail again a figure that begs to be painted
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I started painting the figure today as I had been a good boy and had gone shopping in the morning lol
    I have used Valaggio and Scale 75 I have just purchased the red set which I used a combination for the base coat Vall/ Light sand for the x celts which be filtered with off white .
    The tunic will have filters for the shadows and highlights to follow the Shako and its cover is a filter of black built up and infilled ,with stronger mixes , I will use a mixture of satin coat when all the highlight are done to give the suggestion of oil skin or may use oils .
    Have only done base coat on face and whites of eyes .

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I wanted the small haversack to look worn so have gone for a more darker colour

All feed back always appreciated
    Work tomorrow back at it on Monday ,have a great weekend all ...to be continued .
    Cheers Chris
    Fransab, Paul Kernan, Grod and 13 others like this.
  2. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Chris really like how you started this with the photo reference in the background looking forward to seeing more

Cheers

Neil
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Neil
    Yea it's a lovely fig to paint thanks for the the feed back , bloody work it don't half get in the way lol
    Cheers Chris
    kilsh likes this.
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Good start Chris,I was going to buy this at euro last year but changed my mind,looking forward to seeing this one progress

Brian
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I'm liking this, so I'll be watching :)!

Joe
  6. Mjølner PlanetFigure Supporter

Denmark
    Me too :happy:
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Chris.
    Looking forward to this one progressing Mate.
    Keith
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Coming along nicely Chrus. I like you style if photographing the assembly on a relevant book backdrop. Also like the way this is turning out.

Colin
  9. swralph A Fixture

Looking nice
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Chris... very solid bases for your colours. What paints are you using for the bases?
    At the best of times, work gets in the way of that which we enjoy... Ironically we must work in order to fund that which we enjoy:mad:

Rock>:inpain:<Hard place

Colin
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Chris (y)

As a matter of interest, what is the reference material you're using as a background, and also on the roman eagle bearer you did recently?

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Chris will be following with interest.
    Quite surprised that you appear not to be pinning the arms and head.
    Cheers
    Derek
  13. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rock Billy Del

Rock it's a mixture do scale 75 and Vallejo leaning more to Scale 75 they really are nice and it will be great when they sell them individually.
    I know Dell bit ass about face just had a bit of a do body first day lol , an I was able to get at the parts I won't be able to get to with the arms on ,and being the base coat it sort of works ,having said that it will go T-Ts up lol .... I curse you Del lol
    bIlly the book was a great find in one of the discount stores in Wells Somerset its by DK publishers isbn number
    978-1-40532231-7 forward by Col Tim COllins its called
    "Soldier" a visual history of the fighting man besides the large rf pics great written info I paid £8.99 for it

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and Eludia like this.
  14. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry del I will pin them I normally do ,thanks for reminding me , senior moment I for get these days lol
    Cheers Frank .....whose Frank ...ah that's me Chris ...confused so am I lol
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Chris (y)

(Toddles off to Amazon) ;)

Billy
  16. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ordered (y)

They wanted 46 quid for a new copy. After I cleaned the tea spray from the wall I ordered a second hand one for £7.06 including postage ;)

Cheers,
    Billy
  17. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was in Wales today and went into water stones they have two books by DK publishers one is on weapons from invention to present day the same set up as the the book I have and one solely on the 1st World War truly magnificent books that I will be getting off amazon as they were £25 each but are super
    Good deal Billy, you need to check them out
    Cheers Chris
  18. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi billy both books on Internet strangely the weapons one on the water stones site £7.99 and the one on the first WW £12.00 free P&P as opposed to £25 each
    Cheers Chris
  19. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I spotted those too but not bothering for now. There's also a decent looking one about swords.

Cheers,
    Billy
  20. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom