1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Stormtroopers 120mm Grenadier Guard Inkerman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Jun 3, 2010.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The reds have turned out really well, great job Mark.
    Carl.
  2. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lookin Gooood mark, red is not an easy colour for a WW2 fan, you have really nailed it though. Good job

Stu
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice work Mark!
    The red is very vibrant; looking very good!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  5. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Guardsman

Wow Mark, you're making him come alive! Great figure, great painting, well done.

Rob
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl ... Thanks mate :)

Stu ... :) thanks

Adrian ... many Thanks! :)

Steve ... Thank you! :)

Rob ... Again thnks :)

Great Coat!.....

Sprayed the greatcoat today and have started adding sharper edges and shadows etc with a hairy brush :)

Based with AV German Grey, low base with a drop of AV Black, high with GW codex grey and GW Shadow grey 1:1 and if I need a lighter highlight I'll add a touch of AV White :)

[IMG]
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Clean and attractive!

Looks like a good idea to use an airbrush/hair brush combo. Too bad the AB gives so much overhead in setting up and cleaning....

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Somewhere i missed this absolutely great figure. Excellent paintwork.
    Gonna save some money to buy it at Euro.

marc
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I'm glad I checked in on your progress Mark, as I was curious as to how you were going to mask your finished work before applying a new colour with the Air Brush. What kind of putty did you use? Excellent work so far, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff blu tack isn't it Mark? Looking good.
    Carl.
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    looking great so far Mark and your reds looks very nice.

Steve(y)
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mark,

Lovelywork mate. I enjoy seeing how you prepare your figure by masking it with plastic and blutak before spraying. The results are excellent. I can't wait to see the finished product.
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Adrian ... many thanks :) The AB is actually pretty quick once you get the hang of a set-up! A good mate who's really into them gave me a quick walk through and it ain't so bad :)

Marc ... Hi! and hope to see you at Euro :)

Glenn .... Thanks :) and as Carl pointed out it is Blu-Tack and cling-film used as masks

Carl ... Blu-Tack is damn useful stuff ( I keep small lumps of it Under my shelves above my work bench ) "We've Got LUmps of It Out the Back!" ;)

Steve ... Hi! and thanks :)

Tony ... Many many thanks :)

De-tailed coat.....

Worked some more on the coat and finally have fixed the head in place!

added more mud around the hem of the trousers and coat ( AV plastic putty and AV Flat Earth ) by stippling it on and building the layers up a bit ( hopefully not over done it :) )

[IMG]

And my AB set-up

( that is a lump of 2x2 taped to the shelf with 2 plastic coated mug hooks bent to shape as the stand :) )

[IMG]
  14. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mark.
    AWESOME Painting!
    Very beautiful.
    I'm looking forward to completion.

Mitsutaka
  15. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    He is really looking good Mark. I am liking your treatment of the gold and on the reds. Looking forward to the finished product.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great paintwork with the AB. Like it.
    And yes, i'll be at Euro again this year (it is the 25 anniversary) and it is special this year.

marc
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi mate,

everything perfect as usual(y):)
  18. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mitsutaka ... Many thanks :)

Mike ... Thank you! :)

Marc ... Thanks and hope to see you there :)

Pedro :) ... Far from perfect but Thank You! :)

Slow progress as we finish these things :)

Bread Bag is mostly done, bit of finenessing to get it right and working on the fittings of the jacket....

Also been preparing the base ( clad it in wood veneer and made a plinth ( pics on completion ))

[IMG]

Blu-tack is used for finger rests :)
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mark,

Great progress mate, but I'm not sure if the eyes look right. Perhaps its just the angle you took the photos from but the pupils don't seem to be the same shape? If I'm wrong, I apologise but its better to mention these things now while you can still do someting about it, than after you've finished and moved on. Any chance of a close up on the face?
  20. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony ... thanks for the comment about the eyes! I double checked and it must be the angle, at least they look okay to me, please say if they aren't :)

Mark

[IMG]