1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stormtrooper, Battle of Somme, 1916 - Young Miniatures Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    YM1820
    "Stormtrooper", Battle of Somme, 1916

1/10th scale resin - 10 resin parts
    Sculpted by - Young B. Song
    Painted by - Sang Eon Lee

Somme 01.jpg

Young Miniature's March release is a bust of a German Stormtrooper at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. We haven't seen too many WWI releases from Young and I hope there will be more in the future.

Sculpted by Young and painted by the talented Sang Eon Lee this 10 part bust I am sure will be seen in many of the galleries on the many web-sites.

[ continued in next posting ]

Dan Morton likes this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Somme 02.JPG

Somme 03.JPG

Packaged in Young's traditional heavy cardboard box with a clear plastic sleeve around the box to keep it closed the parts are sandwiched between layers of foam with the small parts sealed in a zip-lok bag to ensure against loss during shipping.

Somme 04.JPG Somme 05.JPG

Somme 06.JPG Somme 07.JPG

Somme 08.JPG Somme 09.JPG

Above you see various sides and angles of the separate cast head. The head fits tightly down into the neck cavity of the chest.

Somme 10.JPG Somme 11.JPG

Somme 12.JPG Somme 13.JPG

Above are the four sides of the German helmet.

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Somme 14.JPG Somme 15.JPG

Somme 16.JPG Somme 17.JPG

Above is the main part of the kit showing the attention to detail Young is noted for. Casting blocks on the underside will need to be removed.

Somme 18.JPG Somme 19.JPG

Somme 20.JPG Somme 21.JPG

Above you see the head dry-fitted down into the neck cavity of the shoulders.

Somme 22.JPG

Somme 23.JPG Somme 24.JPG

Somme 25.JPG Somme 26.JPG

Above you see the helmet, head and chest dry-fitted together after removing the casting blocks from the underside of the helmet and the top of the head.

4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This is a stunner. Nice review.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've gone off busts, but I maybe tempted.
    Carl.
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Somme 27.JPG Somme 28.JPG

Somme 29.JPG Somme 30.JPG

Above are the small parts that came sealed in a zip-lok bag.

Somme 31.JPG

Above is the bust plinth that fits into a pre-drilled hole underneath the chest.

Additional Box Art Photos
    Painted by Sang Eon Lee

Somme 32.jpg Somme 33.jpg

Somme 34.jpg Somme 35.jpg

Somme 36.jpg Somme 37.jpg

Somme 38.jpg

Somme 39.jpg Somme 40.jpg

Conclusion:
    An excellent kit by Young Miniatures. Clean crisp detail with just the casting blocks to remove. Highly recommended.

Young Miniatures web-site
    click here

R426

7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wow! Superb in every detail!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Have placed my belated order for it. Been waiting for this review. Many thanks for taking the trouble!

Just where is the limit to Young's face scupting? Again and again he betters himself and redefines "impressive". This is beyond me.

Interestingly Young chose to cast the helmet in one piece. Andrea's older bust of storm trooper cast the two protruding bolts seperately in white metal, giving it that distinctive WW1 look and feel. The bolts here are not as protruding. I wonder which version is more accurate, or just a matter of slightly different helmets in reality.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy,
    This is gonna end also on my shelf.

Marc
  10. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the review Guy, this is one I will have to get for sure.

Cheers
    Tommi
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Michael; I took the helmet to a place that has a real WWI stormtrooper helmet to compare and get details for when I paint it. It is exact, the bolts are dead on. Everything about the helmet and rivets match exactly, it was pretty impressive to see.
  12. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Ha, Mike, you beat me to the bust...

Then again I cant complain. Burn a big hole in my wallet for Max Schreck Nosferatu and had to postpone the purchase of this and previous releases of Young. Will buy both very soon!
  13. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Well I fought temptation for a while, but finally gave in & ordered this bust today. I can't wait for it to arrive, when I get round to painting it I fancy giving it a bit of colour by painting the Stahlhelm in dazzle camouflage, as per some of the examples in the Imperial War Museum collection.
    The bust is a stunning piece of work, congratulations to Young Miniatures for another winner!
  14. flart1943 Active Member

England
    This is a must have. Thanks for the review Guy.
    Pete
  15. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Just paid for this and last release of Young. In for a double-German treat!