1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Steve Warrilow - German Wex Flammenwerfer 1918

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Richie, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I had the pleasure of bumping into Steve and having a chat at the White Rose event in Leeds recently. He was late in due to the M62, but brought a box of some of his latest work and WOW some fantastic WW1 stuff in various scales.
    Due to being a newbie I was unaware of Steve previous extensive range until he enlightened me. He told me he had been doing a revamp of some of his range in resin.
    When I had a look they were all fantastic models, but two just grabbed me straight away, he had these built and undercoated.
    They were so good I broke my own promise to stick to the Zulu War and bought two. Here's the first one.

The Fusilier's - WW1 German Wex Flammenwerfer 1918 in 1/24 scale.

The kit comes packaged in a plastic sleeve with Steve's company livery card. The parts are all secured again in internal plastic bags, in the reverse of the sleeve is an instruction sheet, with parts list and painting instructions
    CIMG5334.JPG CIMG5335.JPG CIMG5336.JPG CIMG5338.JPG CIMG5339.JPG

The kit comprises of 19 parts cast in light grey resin. The quality of the sculpt and casting is superb, with minimal clean up and the usual casting blocks.

To be continued.

Filipe likes this.
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

The Main Body.

CIMG5341.JPG CIMG5343.JPG CIMG5345.JPG CIMG5346.JPG CIMG5347.JPG

The head, helmet and gas mask are all cast in separate parts. You can then choose which combination you want to portray the figure.

CIMG5385.JPG CIMG5386.JPG CIMG5387.JPG CIMG5388.JPG
    crf, NickM and Filipe like this.
  3. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    OW! :eek:

Very nice! Doesnt The Fusilier have a website? I´ve tried to find, but no result...
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

The Head Set.
    As previously stated cast in 3 parts.
    CIMG5349.JPG CIMG5350.JPG CIMG5351.JPG CIMG5352.JPG CIMG5353.JPG CIMG5354.JPG CIMG5355.JPG CIMG5357.JPG CIMG5358.JPG CIMG5360.JPG CIMG5361.JPG CIMG5362.JPG CIMG5363.JPG

The Equipment and right arm. - Holster, helmet strap, knife, gasmask container, water bottle, haversack and right arm.
    CIMG5364.JPG CIMG5365.JPG CIMG5366.JPG CIMG5367.JPG CIMG5368.JPG CIMG5369.JPG CIMG5348.JPG CIMG5370.JPG

To be continued.

Attached Files:

Filipe likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

The Flame Thrower - made up of 8 separate parts, the hands are sculpted on to the lance. The parts are lance, hose, cradle, handles, fuel pipe, W Wex stand, L bracket, Wex fuel tank.

CIMG5372.JPG CIMG5373.JPG CIMG5374.JPG CIMG5375.JPG CIMG5376.JPG CIMG5378.JPG CIMG5379.JPG CIMG5380.JPG CIMG5381.JPG CIMG5382.JPG CIMG5383.JPG CIMG5384.JPG

The Base.

CIMG5340.JPG

The Whole Kit.

CIMG5390.JPG CIMG5391.JPG

I have contacted Steve and if he gets back soon I will post the images of the completed kit as I first saw it.

In Conclusion.

There has been a great revival in WW1 sculps lately and these are some of the best I've seen. For me to go out of my comfort zone of the Zulu War which is my passion, break my promise and buy these figures then they must be good. The last thing I expected at the White Rose was to walk out with these and I am so glad I did. Top job Steve, a pleasure to meet you and a very satisfied customer.
    I would certainly recommend these to anyone. All his other stuff in various scales I viewed is just as good. I will review another Fusilier figure soon.
    The only downside is Steve has no website link on his information.
    Hope you enjoyed a look at this figure as much as I did.
    cheers
    Richie
    offo and Filipe like this.
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great to Steve trading again. This looks like a particularly good way to get back nto the gsme
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I picked up a couple of his WWI pilot figures. They blow the mind, they are THAT good.

- Steve
  8. jasmils Active Member

Australia
    Oh the memories of opening one of his kits.
    His Australian range was fantastic. Years ago I was commissioned by Sgt Mess of a unit here to do a going away present for the CO using 3 of Steve's figures.
    I still have 5 of his kits sitting in a box.
    Good to see them back again. And looking forward to more.

Cheers Jason
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent scupting and casting. Steve will own Grat War in 75mm.

Colin
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Great to hear and to see that Steve is back again.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Briliant review of a great piece Richie.
    Many thanks for posting it.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  12. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Ut Oh, getting that tingling feeling again, :stop: must resist...:eek:
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Thanks for looking in, I do hope Steve jumps in on this thread so he can expand on his full range for you all. Just reviewed his Trooper/Lancer, why not take a look.

Hi Mark - That's how these grabbed me, I was the last person expecting to walk out with these.
    cheers
    Richie
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Riche ,

Another great review and this is a great subject from Steve (just how do we order fom the range he has ?)

Love the flamethrower ad can well imagine how horrific it must have ben both using and being on the receiving end ,

Hope they do some busts ;)

Nap
  15. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Along with Steve (Babelfish) I also bought some of these figs at WR and they are superb and a steal for the price. Coupled to this, one of the figs had a small missing part and a quick email to Steve (Warrilow) resulted in a replacement part sent to me that arrived within 48 hours; an unbeatable product with a matching after sales service. Buy with 100% confidence and satisfaction.
    Gary