1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Steve by Steve by Steve

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Helm, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    Thanks folks especially Tony I'll take those points on board and re visit it, Carl is always nagging me about highlights and shadows :cautious: I tend to shy away from them as I'm not a fan of the high contrast look so tend to go to the other extreme
    Steve
    housecarl likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Steve

At the risk of being seen to be publicly agreeing with Carl :arghh: , I do think there's some merit in increasing the general level of contrast by a few notches. I'm not suggesting you go extreme levels of contrast, but I think you'll find a slightly higher level of contrast will look better.
    housecarl and Helm like this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Again thanks for your advice Tony
    Steve
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    In case anybody wanted it, the colours used in the DPM are Games Workshop acrylics in order of use Tallarn Sand, Loren Forest and Dryad Bark, the black lightning are Revell Tank Grey. Another tip (From Carl) is mix a small amount of the base with the other colours to help them blend together.
    Steve
    housecarl likes this.
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Did a little more last worked on the shading/pattern as per Tony's ideas started on the webbing and carrying frame for the 320, and got the face somewhere like I want, hopefully it looks cold and tired. Please keep the advice coming folks it's invaluable
    Steve
    CAM00042.jpg CAM00043.jpg CAM00044.jpg
    ChaosCossack and billyturnip like this.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good progress mate, I see you have added the brass to the smock pockets press studs (y) think zip was brass also but would have to check and confirm that. Nice touch adding the lighter shade to the trim on the resi pouches, really brings them out now.

Cheers
    Steve
  7. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    This is coming along really well.

John
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Steve and John as I remembered it Steve it was a brass zip painted gloss black which I have tried to show see if I can get a decent pic of it
    Steve
    CAM00045.jpg
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just checked the two smocks I have and both show the teeth of the zip are fully brass with green zip cloth holding it together.... does that make sense :confused:... not sure it does to me :D
    Here's picture I found on the internet which explains better :)

Attached Files:

10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Found this one which has a brass zip but a black whatever the hell it's called that works the zip!
    [IMG]
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Added the left arm and left ammo pouch, as well as the carrying frame. I've used cotton wool strands for steam but I ain't convinced it's worked, honest opinions welcome if you think it sucks say so :eek: It's easy enough to remove. The arm has yet to be weathered in like the smock so it does look a bit brighter, also added a bit more cam cream grubbiness to the face again thoughts appreciated on it, as Jimmy pointed out we were a pretty scruffy lot :cautious:
    Steve
    CAM00067.jpg CAM00068.jpg CAM00069.jpg CAM00070.jpg CAM00066.jpg
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This is looking very good now Steve. A couple of things jar with me though and draw focus away from the whole figure.
    Firstly I think you need to tone down the white in the eyes by quite some way. I'd also go for a mid grey eye colour with a very slightly darker edge. As it stands he looks a bit hypnotized.
    Secondly the sheen on the beret, might be the lighting but if its not you could try Testors Dulcote lightly stippled on, might even give a sense of texture.
    Tat being said a bit of thought and context on the base and groundwork and you will have an impressive figure. I'd leave the 'steam' until the piece is fully finished and then decide. (y)
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Del the beret is down to bad photography the uhhh light yeah that's it the light :shifty: In all serious it is dead matt as per the first pics. Good call on the eyes (y) I knew there was something not right, I used my usual eye white mix of white with a dab of blue will try a more off white colour. As to the base got one coming from Ron will keep it simple I do have a cap badge so might either have no ground work just the badge or very minimal groundwork as frankly there wasn't really anything striking about the ground down south
    Steve
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice progress mate, frame looks good fitted in place and a good shade of dark green which fit the bill nicely, looking forward to seeing the 320 fitted.
    Steam looks OK to me but like Del says wait till the end and then decided for sure.
    Cheers
    Steve
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Steve, yeah the steam is one of those niggly things I look at it one minute and think it looks good, then next time I think it doesn't :facepalm:
    Steve
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have
    I have the same issue when looking in the mirror each morning :eek:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Ditto :unsure: actually no on second thoughts it never looks well
    1969 likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I would agree with Derek about the eyes Steve, however on previous photo's they looked ok. You're probably the best judge of that as the figure is in front of you, if it looks fine to you with the naked eye then it is. Same goes for the steam from the wet :)playful: couldn't help that, none of that Percy Pongo brew malarky around here..) it looks good in the photo but how it looks to you or the viewer in real life is what matters.... unless you're thinking of publishing a book of course. :D
    Hope this helps and you're doing a cracking job, keep it up mate.
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Rog I have just added a slightly greyer white to the eyes and will see how that goes. I see everybody is fence sitting on the steam :sneaky: myself included
    Steve
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    As I said Steve the steam looks good in the pic but we don't all make models for photo's.... your call but don't do anything rash, plenty of time to make up your mind. It might be an idea to ask an independent "expert" and we all know who she is, mine is a very harsh critic with no thought to my feelings whatsoever, if it's s**t I get told. :(