1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stephen Báthory

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Piotr Czyz, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Stephen Báthory (Hungarian: Báthory István, Lithuanian: Steponas Batoras, Romanian: Ştefan Báthory, Polish: Stefan Batory, Russian: Стефан Баторий) (27 September 1533 – 12 December 1586) was a Hungarian noble Prince of Transylvania (1571-1586), then King consort of Poland (1576-1586) and Duke consort of Lithuania (1576-1586) to Anna Jagiellon. He was a member of the Somlyo branch of the noble Hungarian Báthory family. Many historians consider him to be one of the greatest of the elected Kings of Poland.

Thanks go to Tomek W. and Maciek P. for inspiration and discusion

I would like to present my uncompleted bust.
    [IMG]

There is still at least 40% of work to do.

My inspiration, one of Matejko paintings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pskov)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jan_Matejko-Batory_pod_Pskowem.jpg
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Hope you will like it! Regards, Piotr
    Sokol, gforceman, NickM and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Piotr,

Great work so far, superb detail, look forward to seeing the finished bust!
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Bathory

Piotr,
    This is a great start , beautiful detailing on the armour , look forward to seeing the headdress as well , the plume/feathers are going to be really fine , no doubt you wiil make a cracking job .Is this a release from you ?

Nap
  4. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Tecumsea - thank you for your kind words!
    Napoleonpeart - yes, probably I will issue it. Luckily I returned to the sculpting hobby lately, so I hope I will finish it soon.

Still I have to add to the bust :
    a) many rivets
    b) coat
    c) I'm going to add three possible hats: fur hat, magiar type hat, or a fancy helmet (which is part of the armour).

One remark - the face was inspired by painting from Batory's era (http://artyzm.com/obrazy/kober-batory.jpg) not the Matejko's painting (which presents idealized version of the king).

Regards, Piotr

P.S. Scale is 1/9
    captnenglish likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is gonna be a stunning bust.
    The painting must be a joy. Is it gonna be commercial??

Marc
  6. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Amaizing job sofar. I like this. How did you do texture on armour? stamped(?)
  7. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent work sofar Piotr!

Marcel.
  8. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    megroot - thank you - yes I will problably issue a small batch (e.g. 25 pieces)
    MikkoH - thank you! yes, the texture was stamped.
    Marcel - thank you very much :)
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Stephen Bathory

Piotr ,
    Glad you have returned , you are a talented sculptor , have you an outlet in UK , as I would love to review this one , certainly be interested in obtaining one .

You have the coat to add ...as per the picture I presume ...hopefully it will be separate to aid us lesser mortals !!!!
    Love the idea of the choice of 3 hats , really looking forward to seeing this post progress and hopefully get one of the run .

Best wishes and keep posting

Regards Nap
  10. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Piotr,

looks very good already! The face has character and the subject makes it a must have for me! :D

Thanks, look forward to see the progress!
    Denes
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Piotr, very nice work so far. Possibly your best to date! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece!

Jay H.
    OKc
  12. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Amazing work Piotr, please can you let me know how you sculpt the scrolling design in the boarder of the chest plate?
    Cheers
    Tommi
  13. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    napoleonpeart - thank you! I'm still a real beginner in the figure's area.

dinovision79 -> :) Lengyel, magyar – két jó barát, együtt harcol, s issza borát
    Our nations had and still have good relations :)

Sambaman -> thank you. I'm happy that the progress is visible.

tommi -> there is no magic in it. Since I'm an engineer (IT area) I built 'Do-It-Yourself' the cnc machine (the photo story is here -> http://figurki.org/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,144/topic,637.0) and I drew the design in CorelDraw and I next milled the scrolling design. It took me a while to achieve the desired result.

Regards, Piotr
  14. Roman Active Member

United-States
    Wspaniała robota. Tak Trzymać!

What a great start. The detail is superb. I also sculpt and do the best I can with all those details needed on figures and busts but never achieved such a result. Great job. Can't wait to see your bust finished.
  15. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Congratulations Piotr!

It will be a great work. I think István Báthory wasn't a handsome man - as you has written it right. But so ugly like on this picture he was just as old men. ;)

I'm looking forward the finished work.

Cheers,
    Balázs
    PS: +info: this armour was made in 1565 and it is now in Vienna in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, where are great collection of "Rüstungen"
    see here:http://www.khm.at/de/neue-burg/sammlungen/hofjagd-und-ruestkammer/

Attached Files:

16. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    WOW ..... the details of armor is Fantastic ....
    (How you made them? by the addition or subtraction?)
    Good Continue ;)

MAB :)
  17. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Another come back after many years of absence within this hobby... :)
    Please note, that this figure is still in progress phase, so please forgive its quality or shape...

There will be two heads options (slightly changed eyes lips) + 3 hats options as below.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    captnenglish likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Piotrec ,

Thanks for posting the updates , he is really coming along , like the face as well , the armour is as others have said amazing and will really come to life when being painted .

More please from your table

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    Fantastic stuff indeed , if only you could add the arms with the sword to the bust (Yes I'm a greedy sod! :sneaky: ) but I'd definitly be interested in getting one of these myself (y)

Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  20. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Napoleonpeart - thanks, I will try to finish it asap... let's hope it won't take me another 4 years ;).

Helm, thank you! This is going to be rather a simple bust - adding hands, then sword, then maybe legs... and again we will land in 2018 ;)... My personal goal is to finish it ;D in the predicable future...
    Helm likes this.