1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Steady Lad"

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Richie, May 10, 2015.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Very nice piece indeed. What scale is it??. It very much reminds me of the Private and drummer boy putting out range markers in Zulu Dawn. If this ever went into production it would be a winner.

Mick 3272
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mick,
    Your the winner:)(y), that was the original inspiration for this piece. The scale is 90mm mate.
    cheers
    Richie
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Richie,

I like the repositioned figures much better.
    Richie likes this.
  4. Mark S Guest

Hi Richie, to me that looks a lot better, once the elbow is lowered of course. As you say the boy is brought in closer and the gesture of the hand on the boy's shoulder suggests a more protective attitude toward the boy.
    This will be a very dynamic and emotive piece........well done, mate.
    Eludia and Richie like this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks to you, Mark and the others for the change. It's always nice to get critique and look at something through others eyes, because changes can be made for the better. Thanks again.
    cheers
    Richie(y)
  6. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great piece Richie - both figures work really well together, superb faces and the sergeant conveys professional steadfastness very well against the worry of the drummer boy. Agree this reminded me of the Zulu Dawn scene but the sarg is reminiscent of Bourne from Zulu film too. Shame this isn't commercial , it would be a real seller!
    Cheers
    Mat
    Richie and Wings5797 like this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    A little late coming to the party on this beauty.
    I really like the look of these two figures. The repositioned arm is a lot better but I think that the elbow, forearm and hand need to be lower and become a part of the lads back and shoulder. I am sure with your skills this will be a cakewalk for you.
    Waiting with baited breath for the next edition.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith
    Richie likes this.
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Looks great Richie (y) Nice one mate!
    Cheers
    Jim
    Richie likes this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mat,
    Thank you mate, it may get a release yet.;)

Hi Keith,
    Your not late at all my mate, yes I need to re-sculpt a new arm in the correct position. Off to mix some putty.:)

Hi Jim,
    Thank you mate.
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie

Sorry I am late to the party, just read the thread.

L arm - make sure you get the folds and volumes differently. Sleeve needs to be thicker and folds to follow tension lines.

I would put his hand on boys right shoulder, it would look less of a cuddle. It would add dynamism as if the soldier grabs him in mid motion (ideally could add slight tilt to soldier's torso as boy's momentum pulls him) - you can see boys shoulder is already pushed back - I would move boy slightly forward and place soldiers arm on his shoulder.

Just a thought. Message me if you need a diagram and I will get crayons.
    napoleonpeart and Richie like this.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie, this is looking good, mate!

I am inclined to agree with Gaudin's comments above - I think it would convey that Victorian stoicism really well in this vignette. Personally, I liked the original pose, but with the soldier's hand on the boys' right shoulder (but what do I know?!)

(y)
    Wings5797 and Richie like this.
  12. Foxwood Figures Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello Richie,
    Super piece of a super period - just great to see how the figures are being developed.
    Really envious it is not one of ours!

Jackie
    Foxwood Figures
  13. Carlos Figure Art Active Member

Hi Richie,

It's cool to see this develop and the thinking you have behind it, your passion for this period is evident and wanting to get it correct, I'm sure you'll do your mate proud ; ) I prefer the amended arm on the shoulder and sure the new one will look great. I admire you sculptors, if only I could be so good/confident with it ..
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking much more reassuring but I would drop the elbow a touch.

Mike
  15. Funky50 Guest

Have to agree about the hand Richie resting on the boys back or shoulder for me gives a more reassuring feel to the piece great concept by the way......Kevin
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi D & Steve,
    Thank you lads, you two have given me more food for thought so I've messing with a new piece of wire for the arm in various positions, but it will changed. I think I'll change the left arm too. I have another idea but need to wire it up to see if it's feasible.

Hi Jackie
    Thank you and it's still being developed thanks to all the very useful feedback.

Hi Carlos,
    Thank you mate and thanks for the vote of confidence, it's very good for me putting things up early as I'm still learning and have loads of good input.

Hi Mike,
    I agree the elbow needs dropping, I just quickly changed the position to give an impression of what people preferred to see.

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you mate, initially I must have subconsciously been thinking about my Dad when I was a kid, when he used to open doors for ladies, I would go to walk through and he put his hand on my head and move me back saying ladies first. Now I always open doors for others first.

I planning on putting the detail on the soldier today and messing about with various arm positions, thank you all again very valuable input for me.(y)

cheers
    Richie
    Scotty, MCPWilk and Funky50 like this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Had a good couple of days in and this is the state of play so far. I changed the left arm to put the hand on the boys shoulder as suggested and I have also moved the position of the right hand holding the Martini Henry. I have done this to move the Martini Henry across the boys chest and so to block him off. All the equipment is done and the soldier is complete other than the left arm and a small bit of clean up, might add some stripes? (must remember to put super glue on with a needle rather than a banana:facepalm:). All the bits are only blue tacked on so some positions may look a bit odd.

The boy soldier still needs the hands doing and a bit of clean up, so getting there. Apologies for the poor photo's but you should know me by now.:D Hope you like the changes, please feel free to comment.
    cheers
    Richie

CIMG8700.JPG CIMG8701.JPG CIMG8702.JPG CIMG8704.JPG CIMG8705.JPG CIMG8706.JPG CIMG8707.JPG CIMG8708.JPG
    J.A.Hidalgo, Mark S, MCPWilk and 5 others like this.
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is looking good Ritchie, nice interaction between the two.
    Bob
    Richie likes this.
  19. mick3272 A Fixture

Looks very good indeed. Stop while your ahead don't think you will get it any better, unless they grow an extra 30mm

mick3272
    Scotty and Richie like this.
  20. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie that looks much better mate more dramatic and tells the story much better. it's more intimate looking piece that's just my thoughts mate. it's an all round great job.

Cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Richie likes this.