1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Starting 95th Rifles

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marne Rock Star, May 14, 2020.

1. Marne Rock Star Active Member

Hi All.

I am starting a 95th Rifles 120mm figure. I work in oils. Does anybody have a favorite mix for the uniform colors? Highlight and shadow? I have a couple of dark greens - WN Olive Green and Old Holland Green Umber. It's annoying not being able to go to the art store, but maybe soon.

I'm also about to start a German Light Horse Cavalry - I love that salmon pink look.

I think both will be set in Spain. I'd like to put one under a tree but in 120mm that might be an issue for me. I've made 1/35 trees but 1/16... hmm. I think the other I will put with a roadside shrine.

All the best.

Bob

IMG_3128.jpg IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3122.jpg
    Oda, MCPWilk, KenBoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bob

Nice looking pieces ...thus might help , Rifle Green from what I have seen is very dark green but this might help

https://www.planetfigure.com/posts/892433/

There are reenactors who are very accurate in the uniforms might be worth googling

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    zane666 likes this.
  3. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hello Bod

Nice figures, have you any other info on them ?

As for green I would try Cobalt Chrome Green, with a smidge of black and Gamblin cold wax for a base then adjust for highlights and shadow.
    Nap likes this.
  4. Marne Rock Star Active Member

Thanks. The 95th is Mili-Men. The other guy is Verlinden. I’ve slightly converted a 2nd matching Verlinden figure for a vignette. One will be a trooper and one a trumpeter. I thought it would show a nice contrast.
    Nap likes this.
  5. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    8f2332b7e9fc4f2b733a7ed575909da2.jpg

Found this, hope it maybe of help.
    Marne Rock Star likes this.
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Bob. Don’t know if it will be of use if you’re not sorted already but I use a green mix made up from Cadmium yellow/Indigo/Mars yellow shaded with the addition of more Indigo and a touch of black and highlights with Naples Yellow. I picked it up from an old Phil Kessling article in Military Modelling. I like to keep it quite thinly mixed as it can tend to dry with a sheen from time to time.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  7. Marne Rock Star Active Member

Nice! I have all those colors! I’ll guve it a try.
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bob

Great response from members

Look forwArd to seeing more updates

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  9. Marne Rock Star Active Member

10. Terry Mason New Member

Hi Bob,

I use oils over an enamel undercoat. The undercoat is either Humbol 76 or Humbrol 80 which are a dark green

The oils I use are a mix of WN Olive Green and WN Terre Verte.

A mix of roughly 60/40 Olive Green.

I like to show a fairly well worn campaign look and so add a touch of yellow ochre, raw umber and white to tone it down.

For shadow tones I add a mix of raw umber and black for the initial tone, and a touch more black for deeper shadow.

For highlights I add yellow ochre and white.

For a really dirty worn look, I use a brown earth tone enamel on areas that are going to get dirty such as knees, elbows, trouser bottoms etc. With the oils being fairly transparent the colours will show through.

Hope that helps

Terry

Attached Files:

malc and Marne Rock Star like this.
  11. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I found this on another web site some while back and put it in my files. It is a discussion of painting French Dragoon Green. May be applicable for you. Good luck!

Kevin

"I use Vallejos mostly. I usually vary the colors I use just because I like to play with mixes, but I usually like to use Black Green with a bit of Pale Green as a mid tone, Black Green/Black as a shadow, and Black Green/More Pale Green + just a touch of Flesh or Sunny Skintone for highlights.

Hit the deepest shadows with Black/Black Green mixed with a touch of gloss ( a little gloss goes a long way). The flesh color grays out the bright green a bit - don't use too much or it will go too gray.

Hope this helps."