1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

WIP Critique Start Of Something Big

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

As my next forray into the world of sculpting, I've decided to stick my head in the lion's mouth... a large diorama with multiple figures, foot and mounted, a cannon and copious groundwork.
    The figs and horses will be scratchbuilt/heavily converted 54mm, by the end of the project, I count about 9 figs and one gun. I really need to have my head read!!!!

I'll be using Hornet 54mm heads and hands and feet from various plastic kits (like Historex and Airfix) and weapons, equipment and uniform details from Historex as well as bits and pieces from the "bits box". For instance, the Russian kiwer shako will start as a Historex French "late model" shako with the top dished out and flared and the appropriate furnishings cobbled from the Historex shako sprue.

The diorama itself is a snapshot of the Great Redoubt during Borodino, 1812. In the scene, Russian Infantry and Artillerymen are defending their guns in the redoubt from a French cavalry attack. So far, I've started 3 Russians... one casualty propped against the gun and one infantryman and one gunner who are in the act of taking on a Cuirassier. I scraped down Historex torsos, glued pairs of legs and cut of the pelvis and feet to get the mannequin started, then wire limbs and the first layer of putty to flesh out. I will also try starting from scratch as well and see what works best for me.

Once the horses show up this week, I'll mock up all the figs and lay out the scene with all the elements in place. Until then, the ball is rolling.

If anyone has any ideas or hints that might make this go easier... I'm all ears!!!

Cheers

Colin

IMGP0158.jpg IMGP0152.jpg IMGP0153.jpg IMGP0154.jpg IMGP0155.jpg IMGP0157.jpg IMGP0159.jpg IMGP0160.jpg
  2. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Colin

You're a very brave man to start on this interesting venture. I wish you all the best of luck and I look extremely forward to see this project materialize.

J;)han
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, This looks very interesting. Are you working from a photograph, or are you just winging it? Looks like your off to a great start. Best of luck with its progress. Regards, SG(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Go for it. I guess its the only way to get into it. I myself is gathering courage to make the plunge you so galantly alreade have.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    What a great 2013 start!!! Not easy indeed... You gonna need a lot of heart! Good luck with this new project; and keep posting the evolution.
    Waiting to see the result!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    WOW!!
    I will follow this project with great interest.
    Regards,
    Andrea
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cant wait to see this one mate, the battle itself is of great interest to me. Best of luck bud.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks very promising Colin, looking forward to seeing this one develop as it has great potential as a diorama.

Who does the cannon ?

All the best

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Falo Member

Spain
    It´s a wonderful begening. Good luck
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Wow Colin, i love this project of yours.
    I am glad you decided to sculpt and the subject is very interesting. Perhaps take a look at some paintings and arwork to get ideas for your diorama ,try mark churms or one of those.
    I'll be following this one (y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    This is a great idea and a great start, my friend! (y)
    An idea is to define the composition, first. With the focal point and action of the dio established in detail, you can dedicate yourself to finishing the details on each figurine. But first, you need all the actors in a skatch form, exactly as you presented them. Working on the composition and analyzing all the alternatives will give you new ideas. It's fun.
    Keep up the good work, Colin! I will follow closely.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  12. housecarl Forum Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Ambitious, should be good.
    Carl.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very promissing...

Pedro.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for all the support everyone!
    I am using this painting as my inspiration (replace Lancers with Cuirassiers). I've picked out a few of the figs... NOT all of them :LOL:

Great Redoubt Diorama.jpg
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  15. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    great start and great courage... it will be a long run...

I'm here to see it
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I will follow this closely. Your a brave man Colin.
    It's a dream for me to create something by myself.....do I not saying that for ages...

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    Wow Colin you're a glutton for punishment mate but bravo (y) hope this goes as well as the Lemmy sculpt, did you make the cannon too or is it a kit ?

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Very interesting Projekt, Colin. I will follow with great interest!

Good luck!

Cheers
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I was going to ask you about the cannon too, is it a 54mm? from?
    I think that painting looks interesting, another question: you prefer cuirassiers rather than polish Lancers??
    ChaosCossack likes this.