1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Standard Bearer around 1800

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by kenb, Mar 1, 2006.

1. kenb Member

STILL TRYING TO GET IMAGES RIGHT

MIGHT NEED SOME ADVICE

Attached Files:

2. kenb Member

SUCCESS I ;) THINK

iVE MANAGED TO MAKE A START ON THE HEAD

THOUGH IT SEEMS SOMWHAT OUT OF SCALE SURPRISING WHAT THE LENS CAN PICK UP
    CHEERS KEN

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ken, The sculpting is good. The only problem is the head is too big. I think if you remove material from the top and back of the head and take a little off of the nick it should be at least closer to scale. The hands are also a little big. What is the subject?~Gary

Attached Files:

4. kenb Member

SORRY FOR REPOSTING SAME IMAGES

Attached Files:

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Your size is close on this one Ken. I reduced another you had made of Nelson.

Sculpting looks good. The head might be a lil too large tho.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ken, That Nelson vignette is awesome! I know I've seen your work before. Did you do a portrait figure of Nelson sitting in a chair too? If so I think it was on MMHQ when it was still around.~Gary
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ken, Though I've already commented, you might just save yourself some time and completely redo the head. The figure is really nice, that head is just too big. I'm looking forward to further updates on this.~Gary
  8. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Not sure of what your asking, but for info. the Royal Warrant of 1768 gives the measurements of British Infantry Colors, both the Kings color and the Regt. Color, as 6 feet 6 " horizontal by 6 feet vertical on a ash wood pole 9 feet 10" high with a metal gilt fretted spear point top. Two gilt corded tassels would be fixed to the top of the staff, below the spear point, and would be about 4 feet long. The painted and/or embroided silk color would be folded round the staff and fixed by gilt nails, that part nailed would usually, but not always be heavy red silk

This remained in effect until 1858 so it would cover the period your asking about.

The Colors would _always_ be carried first by the junior officers ( Ensigns ) Even with very heavy losses among the Officers, in battle, it would be unusual for the colors to be carried by enlisted men or NCO`s for any period of time.

A decent book on the subject is "British Infantry Colors" by Almark Pub., somewhat hard to find. Osprey also has some books on British Colors.

Hope this helps.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice looking sculpt there! The clothing is looking great.

I dont know why ya'll comment on the head that its too big as its obviously not even close to being finished (or even started however you look at it) , but rather look like a blob of putty to start carving from.

Looking forward to the next installment!
  10. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Ken, Gary and others...

I merged these 2 topics and when I did, the posts to the original post were deleted. Anders, maybe this explains it a little better. I'm not one to comment on sculpting anything, much less the head however, in it's current state, it does appear to be a little large. The rest of the figure does not suffer from any of this and is rather nice. Good job Ken (y)

Jim Patrick
  11. kenb Member

hi gary

yeah the last letter

re head scale the skull casting I used is a touch on the large size and somwhat roughed out whichsomes up my approch to sculpting I find it very difficult to to focus on one part ie a hand and compleatly finish it as a result my work is finished hard I slowly very slowly refine the figure as a whole

Im trying to develop my method to finishing as much as posible soft
    which means much more planning rather than crashing streight in
    But old habits die hard especially when I tend to take the lazy approach

Many thanks for the info and coments guys

will update when theres been more progress somtime in 2008 I would guess
    cheers ken
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I don't recall saying it was finished, but it did look large. I did first suggest that removing some of the material could possibly make it all come together. Though I suggested completely starting the head over, it would appear Ken has things well in hand.~Gary