1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Stampede

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin64, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    While professional duties are still consuming a lot of my time I had recently the chance to get a project started. The preparation for painting is completed and so I hope that the brushes and paints will still do what I expect...
    Here is where I am at the moment:
    IMG_8891.JPG

Historical notes:
    Although the time of the large cattle drives to the train stations at Kansas and then the slaughter houses at Chicago lasted just for about 20 years it created the myth of the cowboy as a part of the Western legend. Artists like Remington and Russell eternalized the life on the open range before the barbed wire and fences put an end to it.
    Driving cattle meant hard work and handling the wild Longhorns was at times quite dangerous. When the herd panicked the dreaded stampede had to be stopped by making the herd running in a circle and finally calm them down. Getting in the way of the Longhorns at a stampede could mean death if your horse went down or if you were thrown off.

The kit:
    The model is from the line of Frank Miniatures
    http://shop.frank-miniatures.com/Figuren-Frank-Miniatures/75-mm-38/Stampede-51.html

While I was not too crazy about the head and face I conducted a minor conversion by replacing it and changed the bandana a bit.

The kit itself shows wonderful animation and obviously a lot of thought has gone into the tooling to give the models a strong joint. The Longhorns and the rider/cowhand are connected by thick brass rods and the legs of the animals touching the ground are as well supported by brass rods that were cast into their body halfes.
    About the weaknesses I will be brief:
    It will take a long time to prepare the models for painting. Gaps need to be filled, a lot of hairlines have to be removed and tool marks as well as several fingerprints of the sculptor need to be smoothed out - some in hard to reach cavities of the model. I think that the final finishing of the parts we are accustomed to was missed and left to the modeller. Not to speak about casting imperfections and air bubbles that would make some recasts look really good in comparison.

Everybody has to make up his mind if the retail price reflects the value you get - for me the dynamic scene and the theme - inspired by paintings of Remington and Russell - overruled the drawbacks but I have to admit that at times while smoothing out another fingerprint I was about to break into a stampede in my hobby-room.
    Let`s hope that painting it up will be more rewarding.

Finally some more pics from different angles:

IMG_8869.JPG IMG_8888.JPG IMG_8885.JPG IMG_8884.JPG

Hobbyrelated critique is welcome!
    Cheers, Martin
    DaddyO, zane666, patmaquette and 25 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Wonderful sculpt
    Keith
    Martin64 likes this.
  3. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I love this kit but still haven’t picked it up. I will be watching this thread with much interest.
    Gerald
    Martin64 likes this.
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wow Martin, looks like your cleanup and preparation was very successful. I love the sculpt but the painting will be quite a challenge. I'm sure you are up to it and I look forward to your progress. Makes my current project of two 28mm mounted western figures look like a walk in the park. :)

Ken
    Oda and Martin64 like this.
  5. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    very nice sculpts and great dynamic scene. I look forward to your paiting touches :). It wil be an amazing vignette!

Cheers Borek
    Martin64 likes this.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A very dynamic sculpt that will be a challenge to paint. Looking to seeing some paint on it.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Like the idea of switching out the head, its a nice touch. I too am looking forward to seeing this cool vignette done up!

Joe
    Martin64 likes this.
  8. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    It is laying in my grey army too and so I will follow with interest :):D
    Martin64 likes this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Good to see you back at the modelling desk and posting projects Martin!

I've always liked this sculpt and you are off to a great start. Will be following this!

Cheers
    Adrian
    Martin64 likes this.
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've fancied doing this piece for years... so shall follow this one avidly.... most exciting !
    Martin64 likes this.
  11. misfit151 A Fixture

Looking great Martin.....will need some carefully planned painting...well done(y) Mike
    Martin64 likes this.
  12. Manfred Active Member

The hard work lies behind, now the fun will start ... I hope :) .
    Martin64 likes this.
  13. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks to everybody for the encouraging comments and likes.
    After another day in the man cave I present my current stage of the project.
    Colors were taken from the Scale 75 line. So far I did not try their skin tones but I like this first result.
    Further progress will be delayed due to job obligations but I will hang on!
    Comments welcome!
    Cheers, Martin
    IMG_8905.JPG
    IMG_8907.JPG IMG_8902.JPG IMG_8901.JPG
  14. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice vignette, but wow, lots of weight riding on only two legs, yikes!
    Martin64 likes this.
  15. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Yep, it looks as if it could not last long but I can assure you that the construction is sturdy thanks to the brass rods. The kit itself is made of resin so that I am quite sure that the weight won`t be too much for the rods in contrast to some white metal kits.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Good deal, incredible action displayed too, btw.

Cheers, Ski.
    Martin64 likes this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Let me start by saying that this must be one of the most dramatic and vividly posed miniatures I have ever seen.I myself am one of those modellers that do not care for perfect casting and finishing provided that the subject theme inspires me so I am totally on your side when it comes to your decision to bypass all the imperfections of this piece and take a shot at it.Your starting brushwork is really promising.All in all this is most probaly going to end up as a fantastic showpiece that will stun us all.Eager to see more of it(especially how you are going to tackle the longhorns' colour patterns).Extremely interesting work on all accounts.

Oda.
    patmaquette, clrsgt, balder and 3 others like this.
  18. Huw63 A Fixture

Looks terrific. Looking forward to seeing more. I think Oda has summed up my thoughts very nicely.

Cheers

Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    clrsgt, Oda and Martin64 like this.
  19. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Apart from the general quality of the castings, ( all your work has clearly sorted those issues ) one of the other
    things that put me off buying this one was the head - it was decidedly 'iffy' You mentioned in an earlier post that
    you replaced it. With what I wonder ... something from another kit, or did you rustle one up (no pun intended)
    from Milliput or something ?
    Martin64 likes this.
  20. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Very dynamic sculpt and it looks like you're making some great progress with it. Looking forward to seeing more (y)
    Phil