1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Stalingrad Winter 1943, Street By Street

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dr Force, Dec 29, 2010.

1. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello yes agree now it has the drama and look of an shock moment
    cheers
  2. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for all your comments guys.

The constructive critique is the only way I can improve and I am certainly prepared to re-paint/sculp to get the scene right.

It's nice and dry this morning so will clean up and paint again before posting more pics.

Thanks
    Dave
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I can appreciate that Dave, it still would have been nice to have a look. Although I know what a pain it is to take stuff to shows,
    Carl.
  4. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A bit more weekend progres.

Ready to start the belts and ammo pouches now on figure 2, you can see I upgraded the helmet with makeshift vent holes and a helmet strap (yet to paint) and gave the smock one last tidy up.

I have the end of March as a completion date so right on track now:-

Attached Files:

5. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

Not far away now, I just need to finish the painting on the figure by the wall add the snow to the whole scene and then finish with a nice aluminium title plate.

This has so far taken 3 months to get this far, so although I have indicated a scratch build Pak, I am going to start something a little less labour intensive in the interim.

Once it is 100% complete I will get better photo's:-

Attached Files:

gordy, billyturnip and unknown01 like this.
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Indeed the wonderful scene!:eek:
    A very dramatic expression is successful.
    Indeed there is a field to the top in your base.
    I was moved.
    I congratulate it in completion truth.;)

Mitsutaka.:)
  7. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Misutaka your comments and encouragement mean alot.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I like the first picture with the lighting looks really atmospheric (y)
  9. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think the top right picture, where you can see the closeup of the grenade guys face, and the other guy shouting in the background, is really cool.
    One minor point( I alway have something, eh?) for future work. The guy looking around the corner, I would have his eyes looking to his right a bit more, and not straight ahead. When there is something far enough out of our lateral vision that we have to turn our heads to see it, our eyes generally go in that direction as well.
    Nice to see the update, looking forward to the grand finale.
    Cheers
    Jason
  10. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I like this a lot ! Your hard work has paid off
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you are steaming along with this project now mate, I like what you have done so far mate, looking very good.

All the best mate

Steve
  12. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all

First and foremost I would like to thank you all for your comments, encouragement and guidance from inception to the final hurdles. I am not a seasoned model maker or painter and this has been a big challenge but also great fun.

It's by no means perfect and there are always things to improve, however by striving for it to be as good as I can get it, I feelihave actually created something that provides the viewer with a glimpse of the circumstances faced by the German army in those dark cold days in the battle of Stalingrad.

The sprinkling of snow will help to convey the bitter atmosphere experienced in the winter.

Jay
    Many thanks for your critical input in this project, I have appreciated your guidance and taken everything on board........you have been a great help.
    As for the eyes, well I considered the direction of the eyes but thought ( rightly or wrongly) to have him give the impression of something else catching his eye as he is about to chuck said grenade.

Anyway the sprinkling of snow and final painting will be done by Sunday and I can finally move on to the next project which as a clue is a youngs miniature conversion.

Cheers
    Dave
  13. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Phew.............all done

I have had great fun building it, painting it and finishing it, I hope you like it and see you shortly for my next project.

Dave

Attached Files:

gordy and billyturnip like this.
  14. Ferris A Fixture

Turned out great David, congrats.
    The dead guy looks really...well...dead. Scary.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  15. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian

thanks for your comments.

I am glad the dead guy gives the right feeling/impression as it's the key to the whole scene.
    I wanted to avoid deep snow so a frosty sprinkling was my intention. The second figure has ended up holding the cable from the reel as this heled bring the "laying demolition cable" a bit more in to the story.

Thanks
    Dave
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cracking job mate, I think you have done well to accomplish such a project without being a seasoned model builder, plenty would have started it but not managed to get to the final finish.

Looking forward to seeing more of your projects mate

Steve
    Dr Force likes this.
  17. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Yeah, man, thats about the deadest looking dead dude I have seen in miniature. He is D-E-A-D, dead! I think the one eye open and one closed is just perfect. Well done!
    Cheers
    Jason
    Dr Force likes this.
  18. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great job all around David.
    The KIA German his very impressive.(y)
    Dr Force likes this.
  19. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    David, have been following your progress from day one and enjoyed your updates when you posted. This project of yours has turned out brilliantly and you have certainly captured the feeling of the cold weather and sense of urgency of the situation the troops have found themselves in. The dead figure works really well and the whole piece tells the story of what has just happened. Look forward to your next work.

Barrie.
    Dr Force likes this.
  20. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Hi Dave,
    One last thing you might want to add, and it won't require you change anything you've already done. Neither Mr. Dead or Yelling Guy is armed... give the poor chaps a rifle or something, eh??? :D