1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Stalingrad vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jjgurk, May 12, 2005.

1. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Here are some test shots from my latest vignette. The base itself including the water tank/boiler is from scratch. It is nowhere close to being finished, but I wanted to overspray it to see how all of the rubble tied in. The figures are DML with various resin heads. I'm going to re-sculpt the hands on each figure in order to get the proper 'grip' on weaponry. I've re-done all the straps from putty. Wish I could make more progress, but I've been notoriously slow of late. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

John

Attached Files:

2. jjgurk Member

United-States
    2nd shot.

Attached Files:

3. jjgurk Member

United-States
    3rd shot.

Attached Files:

4. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    WOW ! Very impressive......and industrial :) i wait for next step!
    Congratulations and regards

Jacek
  5. arthur Member

Canada
    John,
    Very well done! Great faces and a great painting job on the "not always well detailed" DML torsos.
    Reshaping the webbing straps paid off :)
    I usually use modified DMLers in my dios as well but lack of undercuts makes them a lot harder to paint than the resin figs.
    Out of curiosity do you remember which sets they come from?
    Cheers,
    A.
  6. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding work my friend. Looks like I will have to have you teach me to paint faces those are great. I showed the guys and they say that is some darn fine work. Keep it up. Brock
  7. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Great Great work, I can't wait to see it finish....
    ER
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is definately great!

I love Stalingrad subjects, and I am looking forward to see this one take shape. I love the grouping and the base it self. Beautiful painting as well!
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is great John.

When it is finishid i am pretty shure that it is a big hit.
    Beautifull painting and a great setting.
    Looking forward to see it when it s finished.

Marc
  10. Calvin Member

It looks simply fantastic and the weathering on the figure (aside the painting) is excellent.
    If I can advice about something, is about the main wall. Its texture (the space between the bricks) seems a little out of scale (don't know how to express it, but seeing the picture, it does not fit with the excellent groundwork and ruins).
    Really nice.
  11. LCoote New Member

Australia
    John, this should be great vignette when it's done, great atmosphere, even without Stalingrad in the title, the whole scene just cries out Stalingrad. Well done!
  12. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Many thanks for the kind words and compliments everyone. As Brock can attest to, the Stalingrad battle has always held great interest for me. Luca, I'm glad you pointed out the brick wall as I too did not think that it fit in all that well and I'll have to re-work it.

John
  13. Calvin Member

I consider you as a 'supporter' of mine, so I was sure you don't take it as a criticism. About bricks, I'm working on a column (no pics by now but if you want I can take one) and I find that the best method is to make them one by one.
    Take (or cut) a strip of evergreen (0,5 mm thickness and 2/3 mm height) and cut it into small pieces (4/5 mm or as you want, depending on the scale). Glue that bricks over the structure used for the wall and when dry work it with a cutter. Next, a light coat of liquid poly, spreaded with a strong brush to simulate the texture, and when dry, if you like it, a tiny coat of magic sculpt to simulate the plaster (such epoxy putty is very soft, the best for this kind of works). The only thing you need is a lot of patience...
  14. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    awesome job John. I'm actually working on a Stalingrad scene as well except its alot bigger. I'm doing the internals of the chemical factory and its really involved. I used some of those pics you e-mailed me for reference as they were of great help. Anyways, great work and keep us posted!
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work John. Not really a WWII fan, but I really like your style, this looks very well composed, I look forward to the final product. Very well done.
  16. Calvin Member

Hello again John, this is what I'm referring to, hope it helps.

Attached Files:

17. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Arthur, the DML figure sets that I am using are:
    6122 Approach to Stalingrad
    6153 German Infantry(Ukraine, Summer 1943)

John
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice vignette, John. Impressively painted and composed.

all the best,
    Dan
  19. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Many thanks guys for the compliments.
    Luca, after seeing how you did the wall, I might have to give it a go myself. It looks great!
    Dan, I'm glad those pics helped you and I'm looking forward to seeing your "interpretation" of the battle!

John
  20. arthur Member

Canada
    John,
    Thanks a lot . That's what I needed :)
    Cheers,
    A.