1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SS-Scharfuhrer "Wiking" Division

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Feb 27, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've gone over the folds and took some of them down quite a bit. I have to give more attention to the back of the leg yet. I need to give the trousers more of a bloused effect where they tuck into the boots, so far so good, they do not look as baggy now. I used files and scotchbrite (great tip Gordy) to refine and smooth out all the work. The scotchbrite worked better than the fine steel wool as it does not deteriorate as you work with it, and the fine steel wool can get a bit messy. The work continues.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A frontal view. Note the small creases in the upper left of the pelvis area, a few even more defined creases will be added.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The back of the leg, needs more work.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    One for the road.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    (y)
    looks great, i really like the swag to it

the crinkles below the waist nice touch -
    garments are so oftenly portrayed as "freshly pressed" or ironed that they look like "scuba suits" (given that they aren't gabardeen [polyester])

duck, linen and cotton are among the worst offenders of wrinkles
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Gary:

Is this sculpey too? Doesn't look like it to me but I'm interested in the steel wool approach to sanding. Never used it myself.

Colin
  7. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Gary.
    I like it very much.
    Hope to paint a copy of it some day
    cheers
    jaume
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Colin,It's Magicsculpt, which though it's great stuff I prefer a medium (like sculpey) with and extended working time. I like the fine steel wool, but it gets a bit messy as the steel wool deteriorates as you polish with it. I also wash the figure off when I'm done as the stuff leaves a grayish residue.

Jaume, I'd love to see you paint something I've done.~Gary
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gary, looking very nice, excellent drapery on the trousers (y)
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the roughed in right leg before working in the intial folds. After looking at a few more photos of reenactors and actual pictures, I find that a lot of them are going to have to be radically altered to replicate the look of these trousers. I think the next figure will be mostly made of sculpey.~Gary
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the back.
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

Thanks for sharing the in prog pics. Thats excactly what it looks like when I first start out with something. Looking forward to see your progress.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    So Gary - is that rough putty dry? If so then I presume that you are a carver/sander/grinder? I would HAVE to rough in the major folds in the wet putty if I was doing it - it never would have occurred to me to work on dry putty from scratch.

I'll look forward to watching this devlop and to learning something. The figure looks to me like its going to be to the highest professional standard.

Cheers

Colin
  14. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I dont know about you Gary, but for me that is the hardest part.. getting the right amount of mass/volume matching an already done leg/arm!
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Colin,The putty had just been added to the leg. I smoothed this out by wetting my finger and running it all over the leg. I have to take a new set of photos showing the folds as the ones I took did not look that great.

Gordy, I managed to get about the same volume of material on the leg,now I have to refine the folds.~Gary
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree Gordy! It is really hard to match something that you've already done. Any tips how to make it easier?

Looking forward to your new pic Gary :)
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the roughed in right pant leg. I'm going to bring in the hips a bit as they look just a bit wide, following that I'll refine the folds on the tousers. The next step will be to prepare the torso and insert pins for the arms and head.
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Back view.
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    One more showing the overall project thus far.
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

That is looking great so far! Are you using files and sand paper to refine the folds?