1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SS-Scharfuhrer "Wiking" Division

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Feb 19, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well, I've taken the plunge and decided to try a WW2 figure. I love this Ron Volstad illustration so decided to do a figure based on that. I have the legs roughed in and the ankle boots are almost done, I almost left some detail off of them. I managed to do this while waiting for stuff on the Marine to dry. Any and all comments are welcome.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is actually the second armature I've done. The first one did not match the pose the way I wanted it to. I think this one is about as close as I'll get. He's made from Magicsculpt and I really like this stuff. One plus is it carves very easily once cured. Oh, almost forgot, the size is 1/16 scale.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I hope to add a rough torso soon. the head will be done with Sculpey.
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gary

You've been saying you've been wanting to do something WW2 related, and this looks like an excellent start!

Is this for yourself, or possible kit? I ask as the armature stops at the waist!

Scale??

Mr Volstad does do an exceedingly good illustration.

(y) (y)

Rob

PS. I wish your pictures could be a tad larger!!
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Thanks a lot. Yes, Mr. Volstad does do a mean iillustration. I normally built a figure for possible production, and that is my intention with this. As a matter of fact I've corresponded with him on this and I have the green light to copy his illustration and do this for production.I will more than likely do the torso separate from the legs. Enjoy the larger pictures.~Gary
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Looking forward to it Gary!

-jim cox
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I'm gald to see your feeding your WW2 interest. Can't wait to see more

Jason
  8. Patrick Kirk New Member

Excellent start Gary...am sure this will be like all other that you have done, superb!
    Can't wait to see you bring him to life...
    Btw, will you be able to make MFCA this year?

All the best my friend

Patrick
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    [BGuys, thanks for the kind words. All of the encouragement really does help believe me. When ever I've gone off and tried something "different" it has turned out better than I thought, so my fingers are crossed on this one.

Patrick, So far MFCA is a go. I can't wait to see your stuff again, it's been awhile. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the 'Planet Figureteers" that attend this year's show.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is where I'm at on this figure. I now have the first of 2-3 applications of putty that will make up the roughed-in torso.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    As I want the torso and the legs to be separate and fit together so they look like one piece, I did the following. I drilled out two holes to accomodate the U-shaped pin (see photo below) that will support and hold the torso in place. I put a very light film of vaseline over the area where the top of the hips and bottom of the torso meet. When the time comes, these two pieces will come apart and easily join back together.
  12. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to this piece, I am growing to like WW2 for subject matter again.

Robin
  13. johnbrewer New Member

As always I am blown away by the high quality of sculpting, oh how I wish I could produce as half as good. Perhaps one day
  14. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm grabbin' my seat for this one too :)

(y)
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ditto, this is going to be a gem! Been talking to Gary on the messenger quite a bit and I know he is burning to get this one on the bench. This is going to be good :)
  16. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Oh yeah!!

Bring on the comfy Chair!

It just dawned on me, Gary. No armature?, or is there wire in them legs?

Rob
  17. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Aha, interesting, an sbs on how to sculpt from scratch, by a very good sculptor! I'm going to ask Gordy how I can "mark" this thread, so that I can easily follow it day by day! What scale is it , Gary? Well, this is going to be a good one, judging by the 1836 marine you did before. (y)

This sort of contributions is what makes Planetfigure the greatest forum (y)
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I second Johan's comments WW II Germans has always been a favourite subject of mine before I started on all my recent projects,so I'll definitely be watching this thread closely too.Bring it on,Gary !
    Kenneth
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, I decided to start the trousers and will be doing them in Magicsculpt. Sculpey would have benn easier, affording me time to really work the folds and creases into the clothing. I had to sculpt this thing in my mind before I did it. What you see here is not finished,I have worked in all the major folds and some smaller ones.I'm going to go in now and clean things up by refining, removing or filing/carving other folds or creases in. The trouser leg is a bit baggy so I'm going to take them down just enough. Baggy clothing is probably more difficult to loook convincing, more so than something form fitting. I'm open, as always to any comments suggestions.~Gary
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    another view.