1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SS NCO - Blitzkrieg era

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dani A., Sep 4, 2006.

1. Dani A. New Member

Hi,

Here you can see some photos of my latest conversion work.

The figure I chose as a base was one of the Dragon’s G2 “Hohenstaufen” set – specifically, the NCO.

[IMG]

First thing you will notice on assembling the figure, is that whoever does the original scale figure masters is unable to “translate” Ron Volstad’s always competent box illustrations into succesful 3-D models. This is apparent when you assemble the figure out of the box. So, Dragon’s figures poses frequently look dull and interesting, when not stiff. This characteristic was also apparent in earlier “G1” figures; the fact that the newer G2 are not better in this respect shows that even if they have a lot more pieces, the designer has no flair as far as design of poses is concerned.

Here is the figure, out of the box, as it appears in Dragon’s photographs. I was not very happy with this... On dry-fitting the figure, it was obvious some improvement work had to be done.

[IMG]

In order to get a more natural pose, I assembled the figure with some readjustments at the knees, crotch and waist, varying the axis and angles of the various articulations. I also substituted the boots; those in the box are far too small, I used a pair from the spares box. Ankle areas had to be readjusted too.

I wanted a more appealing pose, so, besides the above corrections, I coverted both arms. Right arm came from this same figure; left arm began life as the right arm of another figure in the same box, in a signaling stance. Both required heavy remodelling to suit my purposes, in fact I rebuilt almost the entire surface to suit my needs, both in posing and in coherence of folds pattern. This way I could also portray the characteristic bulky sleeves of the smock. Hands came from the spares box, as did the head, a Hornet item.

In my opinion, the body language is now more fluid, and the pose more attractive.

I decided to further convert the figure to an early war appearance. With this in mind, I “backdated” the smock, removing the foliage loops and relocating the waist elastic band to a lower position.

A common fault with Dragon’s German infantry equipment is that it is usually too small. I substituted the bread bag, water bottle and gas mask canister by better, more substantial examples from other sources. I adapted the diverse items to the underlying surfaces, and added the corresponding slings, tabs, etc.

The equipment the figure carries is in harmony with the “early war” idea: a helmet without cover, and a second-rate SMG – the MP 28, which I obtained fron Dragon’s “Germania” Regiment set. The accompanying magazine pouch being too small, I scratchbuilt a new one (not visible in the present images).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The remodelling work was done with “Magic Sculp” putty. This is slightly translucid, so I mix a little plasticine with it, green in this case, to enhance its definition. You can appreciate the rework I did by the different colour, contrasting with the grey plastic.

Now, the figure is ready to prime. This way any flaws (which are very probable to appear) will be revealed and taken care of, before painting.

I will then pass the figure to my friend Jaume Ortiz, whose able hands will no doubt get the most of this canvas!

Regards,

Dani
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dani, very nice transformation, I think it looks great.
    I'm sure Jaume will do an excellent job in painting this figure.
    Would love to see photos of the painted figure.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Conversion looks great Daniel,can't wait to see this finished!
    regards
    christos