1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SS Major

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Instructorrob, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi there,

This is my first posting over here. A good test to find out how to post on this forum, I guess.
    I would truly appreciate to get your feedback as I want to improve my figures. Though not a true figure painter, I spend as much time on my figures as I spent on the other elements of my dioramas.

Anyway, here's one of the figures of my current project. A Jaguar figure from their "Last Stand at Stalingrad"figure set. He's actually a general, demoted by me to the rank of major :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Thanks for looking

Robert
  2. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Robert
    Welcome, I like your work, maybe a bit clean for Stalingrad but hey majors know how look after themselfs.
    Pete
  3. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi Pete,

thanks for the comment.
    Forget to tell you that he isn't finished yet. Gotta roll 'em through some dirt still.
    Also have to tone down that shine on the coat and boots.

Robert
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Good work, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers
    Roc
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Robert,
    first of all....WELCOME to the Planet! Secondly, very admireable work. I think the flesh tones look fantastic. I would sugest maybe going a bit further with your contrasts, especially on the coat, but good work over all. Keep 'em comin'!

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Welcome aboard Robert! That's a pretty darn good first posting. Overall, I agree with Jay. Just a little further in your contrast with your highlights and shadows. In fact, you may just want to take your shadows a bit further. Other than that, it looks just fine. Keep us posted with your progress.

JIm Patrick
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Robert,
    very nice work.I like the fleshtones most!
    best regards
    christos
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very beautiful pose
  9. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Robert !

Welcome !

Good job that you've made ! You've made a little mistake, it's a jaguar figure, not a Warrior one. Will you make the complete set together ?

Laurent
  10. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Oops,

Laurent, you're so right. The figure set's from Jaguar.

No I won't be using the other two figures from the set. I'll save 'em for another project.

For the dio I have used an Mini Art tanker with a Tamiya head (just for the challenge, to make something out of it) and two figures from Jaguar again, from the set "a helping hand".
    However, since the dio is set in winter, and these two figs are not dressed for it, I decided to mess up these two perfectly sculpted figures and sculpt great coats for them. Nightmare..............and a deadly slow process. But I won't give up.

Here some images of the other figures
    The SPG commander in action
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The two messed up Jaguar figures in the process of sculpting
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The dio in progress
    [IMG]

and as it stands today (not finished yet)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

But since this is figure forum, I'll try to stick to the figures as much as possible guys. Don't worry . Thanks for looking

Robert
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Robert, yes this is a figure forum but we are certianly appreciative of nice work. Even if there is armor on it (I started out in armor and still go back to it now and then). Your groundwork is outstanding and we'd love to know more about how you did it. For instance, what are all those blue bricks made from? It certianly looks like a much cheaper alternative to buying a "bag-o-bricks" for each project. Showing your armor in more than OK when you show it in the whole context (yes, I saw your pics of it over on ML). So, by all means show us your dioramas.

Jim Patrick
  12. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for your kind words Jim.
    To answer your question, the blue bricks were made of High Density Styrofoam. Not the easiest stuff to work with unfortunately, as it absorbs a lot of moisture.
    I have followed Calvin Tan's method, as described in his Osprey publication. Basically comes down to covering the bricks with thin plaster.
    I didn't do that on the structure though, just spend a lot of primer to get it covered :)

If you like to see more steps of the dio you may look at this link:
    http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?t=9462

Text is all in Dutch, but pictures paint a thousand words, right?

To everybody else, thanks for the comments. I'm doubting to add more contrast, as in real life the contrast looks stronger than what you can see on the images I posted. Nevertheless, I'll consider your suggestions before I finish off this project.

I have done this figure's coat in oils by the way. Base color of the coat was a mixture of Vallejo's but highlights and shades were done in oils.
    I have tried to use Stefan Herdemertens-Müller's method of letting each succesive step dry first before doing another. I suppose this would be called wet-on-dry. I found it to be an improvement for me over the usual wet-on-wet blending method.

Best,

Robert