1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Spion Kop, Deeds That Thrill The Empire

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Tommy's War, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm delighted to announce my latest range of figures: Deeds that thrill the Empire.

The first offering shows a diorama of Spion Kop January 24th 1900.

Sculpted by Steve Warrilow the diorama shows four men of the Lancashire Fusiliers and one of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry depicted in the famous battle.

Scale: 54mm (1:32 scale)
    Includes: 5 figures and diorama base all in grey resin

Price: £75.00

Available to purchase at www.fireflymodels.co.uk and at Euro Militaire

My apologies for the poor photography, the figures only came in yesterday:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Unfortunately, I've not got the diorama painted for box art, but I hope you get an idea of how it could look.

The diorama is attractively boxed with all five figures, five rifles and five sets of photo-etch rifle slings, the base is also supplied and is cast in grey resin. An 8 page full colour booklet is also included, this provides a brief background of the battle, history of the regiments included in the diorama and uniform references.

What you get in the box:

[IMG]

A closer look at the branding itself:

[IMG]

Available to buy at www.fireflymodels.co.uk

I will be at Euro Militaire next week and the set will be available to buy on the day, only 50 sets have been cast at this stage.

Kind regards

Darren
    tbolt7, LVM, Trep and 4 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Oh wow nice one (y) Are you going to stick with the Boer war or other deeds from that era ?

Steve
    Steve likes this.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW! Good luck with the new line I know I am interested.
  4. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm a bit nervous as its a new concept having so many figures on a small base (I meant to put the base size on my original post - its 80mm demo x 100mm wide)

I will see what the reaction is to this one, but I would love to do more, covering the battles and campaigns of the British empire, probably all 19th century
  5. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice, will you be distributing this kit in the US after Euro?
  6. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think Chuck at Red Lancers is taking some back with him!
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks fine to me Darren I like all the small details like the guy using his forearm to aim as his hand is wounded stuff like that. It's too small scale for my old eyes but can't see you having any trouble shifting them as fast as you can cast them

Steve
  8. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... purchased one ! Voilà . ;)

what a great little "instant-diorama à la carte" à la Bill Horan. Look forward to purchasing more deeds (y) Cheers Darren !
  9. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It looks at tad "crowded" on that base but I look forward to seeing this at Euro, and great to see something so different. I'm not aware of ANY other figures from the Boer War in any scale (of course that's not to say that none exist).

- Steve
    Redcap likes this.
  11. Dennis Active Member

England
    Darren, brilliant concept I can see it being a winner. It is good to see Steve Warrilow back in harness so to speak, I seem to remember he actually served in the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers many years ago. Looking forward to seeing this at Euro.
    Dennis
  12. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An excellent addition to your range.
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work.
    Maybe something WW 1 into a shell hole. ;).
    The battle at the Somme, and Passchendale there where alot of shellhole's filled with water and threestomps.
    Looking forward to that also

Marc
    captnenglish likes this.
  14. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Brilliant...I look forward to seeing what comes next!!!!!
  15. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Darren very nice mate, a great idea for a new range and certainly something a bit different and hope it does well.

Cheers Ken
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice but DON'T lose traction on Tommy's War. That being said I think I could totally expand my interest inot the Boer War.

Good luck.

Colin
  17. steve j Active Member

England
    wow this looks great can't wait to see one painted
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Good to see Steve Warrilows work again. As a miniature I dont think the scene looks crowded, its a bit like painting on canvas you need to arrange figures for the viewer and as often as not 'real' space wouldn't work and would jar the viewer.
    Cheers
    Derek
  19. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Yup, there it is, a grand conspiracy to dupe us Yanks out of our hard earned greenbacks......., er I mean I'll be calling him for this while I'm checking on my Maurice Corry Rifle Officer and Stormtroopers SGT. McCabe figs he was saying he would bring back.
    Great set, looking forward to more in the series - Scott
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent piece of work from Steve.
    Should do well for you Darren.
    Carl.(y)