1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Spartans, Prepare For Glory", Yedharo 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, May 28, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

My latest figure is Gerard Butler as Leonidas in "300", in 54mm white metal by Yedharo. Despte the many historical inaccuracies and Hollywood moments, I love this movie and get a buzz every time I watch it on DVD.:D

Still a lot of work to do but it's starting to come together. I haven't added the scabbard yet.

Painted in Vallejo acrylics, but I will accent the flesh areas with a wash of oils mixed with white spirits.;)

Sorry for the poor pics but my camera can't focus very well and I'm not much of a photographer:eek:

Your comments are always welcome.(y)

Attached Files:

2. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Nice start Tony and an interesting figure. I would suggest a bit more blending at the shadows cause he looks as if his muscles were cut with a knife and i know that this is in part due to the deep carving of the sculpture itself.
  3. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work for starters. As Dimitris said try to soften the sharp sculpted muscle structure and u will be better. Also add some highlights on the top of the cloack as the distance from neck to feet justifies this !

Best regards

Costas
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Tony,
    looking great allready. You can give him a nice sixpack instead a four pack.
    As suggested above some feathering on the shadowlines on the muscles will look more natural.

Marc
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Beautiful Tony, the flesh and the cloak are superb(y):eek:
    Try to take another pictures please!:(
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your helpful feedback guys.

I agree with your comments about blending the shadows better on the flesh, and yes Costas, I will also add some highlights to the cloak. Thanks mate.

That's why I will be applying dilute glazes of oil paint over the flesh areas and building up the flesh shadow colours in very thin layers. I find that Vallejo acrylics don't look particularly realistic on their own and the oils help give more depth to skin tones.

Marc, I'll make sure he has a six pack, not a four pack.

My youngest son just said that I don't have a six pack, I have a keg.

He's now in his room contemplating the meaning of life. Cheeky bugger. I wonder who he gets that from???
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Good start Tony, I am sure it will look a lot better after you get to work with the oils.

Cheers David
  8. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work indeed Tony! I think you've handled the flesh tones very well, and it will look even better with the suggestions people here have offered. Have you considered some shadows and highlights on the shield? It might be hard for me to tell because of the angle of the photos and lighting. In any case, should be a great addition to the collection.
  9. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Tony
    Yes I think oil paint should give the skin the oiled sheen of the figures in the film.
    Pete
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Nice start to this figure.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    That is SPARTA!!!!!!

(couldn't resist)

My goodness, is that a token bit of beefcake for Mrs Dawe to admire?

Always good to see your work,

cheers
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi David, Glenn, Pete, John and Jamie,

Thanks for your comments guys. I always appreciate getting feedback and suggestions from you, and do my best to act upon your advice. Glenn, I haven't started on the shield yet, this is just a base coat.

Tonight I started the proces of layering my oil glazes over the flesh areas; mixing equal amounts of Burnt Sienna and Spectrum Vermillion with white spirits to make a very dilute wash/ glaze. In addition to smoothly blending the shaded areas of the skin, the oil glaze also adds a sun burnt colour and sheen to the skin that is deeper and more natural than I can achieve with acrylics alone.

I started by concentrating on the areas I'd already shaded with acrylics and then gradually extended the washes over the flesh areas. Most of the glaze goes over the shaded areas with the highlighted areas given a very light glaze coat to help ensure the skin colour looks uniform.

If you compare these latest pics with the ones I started this thread with, you can see the difference the oil glazes make.

I'll repeat this process of the next few nights until I'm satisfied that the blending is smooth and the skin tones look right.

Attached Files:

13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It looks like you're off to a great start Tony.
    Carl.
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, great painting and will follow with interest.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    Excellent progress!
    I think branding of oil paints is effective in the skin tone.
    It's very beautiful about a cloack!
    I'm looking forward to completion of your work very much.

Mitsutaka
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Almost finished

Hi Carl, Ken and Mitsutaka,

Thank you for your comments and for following my progress.

I've been concentrating on getting the blending of the oils and acrylics on the flesh looking right.

After several viewings of "300", I also did more work on the red cape.

I hope you like my progress.

Attached Files:

17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    All in all a great job Tony. The flesh turned out well.
    Carl.
  18. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great work Tony(y)
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Carl and Pedro,

A few more days and this figure will be finished. I don't like the shine so I'll dust with pastels before spraying with Dull coat.
  20. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Tony he already looks much much better. As for the shine i think its spot on for the fleshtones considering the movie!