1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Spartan Warrior, Pegaso Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Tony,
    You have really caught the menacing look with this angry b****r. I am an advocate of the catch light and you have nailed this one Mate
    Watching how you get on with the faded red, I am trying to get the same look on my current piece. Good luck with the rest of this piece.

Cheers,
    Keith
    tonydawe likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Keith, thanks for your comments mate. Glad you like the catchlight.

As promised, I've taken a few more update pics last night to show my progress. Still haven't started on the checkerboard pattern on the helmet mantle though. Too chicken I guess!!

Attached Files:

NickM and tiberius57 like this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Just about finished now. The much feared chequer pattern on the crest of the helmet has been painted (not very well). It definitely still requires some touches ups now that I've seen the photos up close, and a bit more work is required on the helmet and the hair, but otherwise just about done.

If you have any comments or suggestions, now is the time to make them because pretty soon this bloke is going in the display case and I'm moving on!
    IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0487.JPG
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Been following this with interest , really like what you have done in particularly those eyes are great .

Like the "repairs" on the armour with different colours , a good pattern on the cuirass and the helmet as well ...I would shade the helmet a bit more but thats my preference ...the faded reds look good as well , particularly the sleeves , like the highlighting .

How did you find this bust goes together and what a shame you loose all the flesh work as well under the helmet !!!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. Mark S Guest

Looks great Tony, well done. Beautiful result.
    The eyes are great and I love the faded weave in the sleeves, excellent piece.

These pics are quite good, but some bigger ones would be nice....cheers.
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Looks pretty darn good Tony, Like Mark above, I love the weave in his sleeves, the shading is perfect. I also think the helmet needs a bit of shading as all his other parts of his uniform is either faded or has had repairs. Cant wait to see this one live!!!!!
    Ben
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is some excellent painting there. The checks are even done on both sides. Great work.
    Gells
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nap, thank very much for all your comments mate, I really appreciate them. The bust went together very well, although you do need to paint it in sub sections as the hair at the back fits above the cloak and under the helmet. I found it easier to paint the cloak, head and face first, then paint and glue on the hair and then add the helmet last. Yes, the helmet needs more shading, I agree. Some more pin washes of sepia and black oils should do the job. It's a pity that the flesh is covered by the helmet, but I know it's there and that's all that matters.

Hi Mark, you're a funny bugger. These pics are at least 10 x larger than the actual bust, so they do show up every little flaw in my painting. I'm operating at the limits of both my artistic and photographic capabilities mate. Thanks once again for your kind comments, I'm glad you like him.

Cheers Ben, yes more shading on the helmet is on the cards for sure. You probably wont see this bloke until WASMEx now. Thanks once again for your comments. Looking forward to catching up with you and Nick on Friday.

Hi Gells, thanks for your support and encouragement on this bust. Nice to know I didn't bottle it on the checks on the helmet crest, although looking at these latest pics they could do with some tidying up.