1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Spartan Warrior, Pegaso Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 24, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted anything new on my VBench, but I can asure you I've been busy.

I've just started painting Pegaso's 1/10th scale Spartan warrior bust and so far I'm really enjoying the reds. I recently switched from Vallejo acrylics to Josonja acrylics, and I must say the Josonja's are awesome.

The Josonja range of colours is limited by comparison to Vallejo, however this is more than compensated for by the smooth, flat finish you get from the Josonja's. First time I've ever painted red in acrylics and got a dead flat finish - Wow!

I've also been experimenting in my laboratory lately - using an airbrush for the first time in 20 years and liking it!!!:D .

Been building a tank too (AFV Club 1/35th scale Centurion Mk 5/1 Australian version in Vietnam) - first tank I've built in 20 years.

Now I'm learning how to make casting moulds and cast in resin thanks to my mates at the Scale Model Club of Western Australia. I'm pleased to say that after 40 years in this hobby, I'm still learning new tricks and still finding new ways to get excited about my hobby.

Attached are a very WIP pic of my Spartan and although it really doesn't belong on Planet Figure, a pic of my Centurion Tank.

Attached Files:

2. Mark S Guest

Great work, Tony. It can be very restorative and refreshing to do a little non figure modelling between pieces I find.
    Nice tank. well done.
    Mat Lambert and tonydawe like this.
  3. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hey Tony, coming along well mate. Love the Centurion too!
    Some of the 1/35 Callsign diggers would complete it nicely ;)
    tonydawe likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great start on the Spartan and the Centurion looks very good Tony.
    Well done Mate looking forward to the next installment.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good start. I love the amour btw.
    Gells
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Are you diluting the Jo Sonjas and applying in thin layers ?
    Must say the Tank looks good (y) does this mean you are going over to the dark side:D:eek:

Ron
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent start on the Spartan.
    Can't beat a bit of armour now and again.
    Carl.(y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments guys. Always appreciated and welcome.

Ron, I started out as an armour modeller back in the 1970's before I saw the light and became a figure modeller. Every so often I build a tank just for a bit of fun. Going over to the dark side helps me appreciate figure modelling all the more.
  9. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Tony, Great start to your Spartan, and Centurian. I agree with you about the Jo Sonja paints, they cover great, and are dead flat. I found mixing them with Vallejo, helps to make the Vallejo more flat in its coverage. Like you, I started out in modeling building AFV's back in the early 70's. It started to get quite expensive with the price of kits, photo-etch, ect. That is when I switched mainly to figures. I only use small vehicles, motorcycles, jeeps, ect. or wedgies to compliment my figures. I do miss building a tank from time to time though. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and times past. Am I really that old?:( Regards, SG;):)(y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think most of us started with AVF's and stumbled on to the righteous path;) a little wander off now and then just shows how strong the force is :D
    My last AFV was an American half track diorama in 1977, I v'e been clean ever since :ROFLMAO:

Ron
    tonydawe, Helm and Funky50 like this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Back on the path of righteousness and purity.:love: You make me feel dirty Ron!!:censored:

Latest progress pics after a furious session last night.

Extreme close up image taken with iPhone shows just how much work still to be done.:whistle:

Seems a pity that all this work will be lost when his helmet goes on!!:cry:

Attached Files:

Jamie Stokes likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Tony,
    If I may. The red seems on my screen nearly orange. So I think you overpainted the red into the highlights.
    But that's only my opinion.

Marc
    tonydawe likes this.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments. Yes the tunic is very orange at the moment because its only a base coat. I haven't done any highlighting or shading yet.

I intend to shade and highlight this into a faded red colour withn a slightly orange hue.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Sorry, i speak before my turn.
    I'm looking forward to the next serie of pictures.

Marc
    tonydawe likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc,

Just for you;) , I sat down last night to get the shading and highlighting underway.

It still looks orange, but that's OK. I'm going for a faded red look.(y)

Attached Files:

16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking good Tony!!
    The suntanned look with the faded red- orange effect on the cloak & tunic looks good so far, and will add to the 'sun bleached mediterranean' look, I feel.

Good to see you using Jo Sonja for this project, I'm looking at using this brand too...

Cheers

Jamie
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jamie, yeah I was going for that swarthy look (minus the gold chains and the chest hair)

We had a long weekend in WA so I've spent a fair bit of time at the workbench over the past 3 days.

Here are the latest pics. The last one is the best!

Attached Files:

Mark S and NickM like this.
  18. Mark S Guest

Looks great Tony. The piercing expression in the eye in that last pic is very dramatic and dynamic! Well done mate.
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good mate. Great work on the eyes especially..he looks like he's not to be messed with.
    Gells
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark, I'll be doing more on this bloke tonight and should have some updated pics for you tomorrow.;)

Thanks Gells, the eyes were very pleasing. I decided to go with a catchlight given that the eyes are really the only part of the face that are cleasrly visible under the helmet. Not looking forward to the checkboard pattern on the mantle of the helmet though:nailbiting:
    Wings5797 likes this.