1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Spartan Warrior 200mm ~ Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Reddo, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    I have finished this bust (my first in this scale) to as good as I think I can get it. I'm happy with the end result, and the model was a joy to build and paint - well done Pegaso. The hardest parts to do were the checks and the white stitching - but with enough time I got there eventually.

I went for a dark red colour scheme using vallejo black red to vermillion. And a dark bluegray to silvergray for the 'white'. Th bronze is vallejo bronze with old gold highlights.

I applied a few enamel and acrylic washes at various stages.

link to stages in the build http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45157

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    What an awesome bust Peter. Superb painting for your first attempt at a large scale bust. I hope you'll do many more
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Let me tell you,your work on that helmet looks amazing.
    (y)(y)(y)
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice work on the crest Pete, I know how tough painting those red\white checks can be ;-)
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Pete(changed from Steve!!!!!) ,

Thanks for posting this is a great bust and your first as well , lovely treatment of the metallics and the checkered area , the stitching looks really good as well ..all credit to you .(y)(y)

If I might offer a suggestion , most of us "bust" modellers finish off the undersides (ie the arm lower and underneath area's) with a black (I use GW Chaos Black) , for me anyway this really tidys up the finish .

Looking forward to seeing more from you

Nap
    Reddo likes this.
  6. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Thanks everyone for your kind appraisal . However, I'm not sure how I became known as Steve - my names Pete.

Good idea to stump the arms black - I may do this later.
  7. meizi Active Member

China
    Wow, it's amazing! Perfect paintjob indeed.(y)(y)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Really nice paintjob Steve.
    I think you have shaded the red with black :mad:, and therefore it looks a muddy red to my opinion.
    Too shade red you use better with green, not black. (In the RGB they tell you to shade with magenta).
    The deeper folds, you can paint into the deepest with black but that's all.
    The metallics are top, and the white can use some more highlight to.
    Sorry for being so hard to you.

Marc
    Reddo likes this.
  9. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Marc, I didn't use black to shade interestingly - however, it does look like I did in the photos and on the model. I used a red/brown enamel wash and am not really sure what happened. The darkest paint I used was vallejo redblack for the darkest shadows - in hindsight perhaps I should have gone for burnt cadmium - and next time I will. I also thought the white could be highlighted more as you suggest, but this colour seemed to me to fit with the dark red black colour I ended up with - so I left it in the end, but I see your points.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice finish Steve. Oops! Pete.;) I don't know if you wanted a sheen to the reds? If you didn't, a touch of Tamiya X21 in your water would have gotten rid of it. I use green to shade red, and a very slight touch of black for the deepest shadows.
    Look forwards to seeing more of your work,
    Carl.
    Reddo likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England