1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Spartan bust by Young

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I just finished this bust by Young the other day. I tried some different techniques on the flesh by layering the skin on one thin coat at a time. I used oils on the flesh and acrylic on the cape. everything else is undercoated with acrylic and topped/aged with oils. As always your input (good or bad) is of great value to me. Thanks for looking at him.

SPARTAN3.jpg spartan1-1.JPG

SPARTAN2.jpg SPARTAN4.jpg
  2. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Really nice piece Mike...like the shading and the metal work looks first class...be proud of this one mate....SRP
    gordy likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Those metals are very well done Mike, all in all a great bit of painting.
    Carl.
  4. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    WOOOOW !! Mike what a great work , you are painting better and better ... great metals and the skin tones are superb !! many compliments !

cheers

stefano
  5. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Mike he looks great. The metals are especially well painted. Also like your fleshtones. Congrats on a very demanding bust.
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice

Great stuff. The flesh on the body looks like it's bruised and battered. The metals are amazing. Great work.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Mike.
    The pink cape??? Its something different.

Marc
  8. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks guys for the kind comments. Yes his body is bruised and has abrasions from battle. Marc;The cape tends more to red than maroon but not as light/pink as it shows in the photo's. I think the overcast day played with the turner acrylics I used for the cape. The Turners are amazing how they appear differently under different colors of light sometimes even 3D. It is however a very hot red that could use another looking at when I get home. Thank you for bringing it up.

Thank you again I really appreciate your comments.
  9. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    Greetings! The bust in your execution very was pleasant! An accurate and entertainment painying! Realistic metal helmet and a good job with the body! My congratulations and an applause!
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Mike! Love the bruising, very convincing. The weathered helmet is a nice touch!

Jay H.
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent! (y)
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Sergey, Jay & Gordy. Thank you very much for your kind words. I am adding this photo below since it is bigger than the others and can be blown up when clicked on. I still can't figure this picture thing out even with a thread dedicated to it.

sp.JPG
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike,

Very good painting mate. The metals look very goodand I like the bruised and battered look of his body. He looks like a warrior, not a body builder.
  14. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    It's gorgeous, Mike!
  15. winston Active Member

France
    Great paint Mike... I like your style!!!
  16. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Mike,
    Several realism in flesh and very good at painting helmet.
    Bravo!!

Alexandros
  17. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Well done Mike, a very good rendition - I feel the skin tone is a tad pale for my liking, but the metals are very good indeed, and the cape is nicely blended.(y)
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Wow, you were quick to finish this one!!! As with everyone else, I love the way you have handled the helmet and the realistic bruising, great touch indeed. My only query would be the flesh colour, it may be the photo but it looks a bit light for a fellow who would spend most of the time outside, but it definately shows off the bruising well.
    Ben
  19. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Very well done Mike!

cheers,
    Marcel.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic finish Mike. The skin tones as well as the metals are all exceptionally done.