1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Spartan 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roland Meng, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    After one year break, I try to paint again. I painted with oils on acrylic. I hope you like it Guys!

8B96180A-210D-42AB-A5CC-22D159BF7B3D.jpeg
    Perseas, Ferris, Martin64 and 11 others like this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great start Roland-love the face!

Keith
    Roland Meng and winfield like this.
  3. Fantomas Well-Known Member

Canada
    Very nice start, Roland. And, yes, the face is very well done! Oils?
    Roland Meng and winfield like this.
  4. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Alexandro’s ?
    Roland Meng likes this.
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I love those skin tones. A super start, looks like the break did you good!
    Roland Meng likes this.
  6. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Roland

Like those tones on the fleshwork ...good to have you back painting here

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap

Like grasshopper would also be interested in who makes this
    Roland Meng and grasshopper like this.
  7. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Indeed, am looking for more metal this year, resin is causing some health issues in spite of masks...this sculpt and casting looks sweet stuff...
    Roland Meng likes this.
  8. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Thank you for the nice comments, yes i used oils on acrylic, and sorry for the picture, on my phone when i was uploading it,everything was straight. The figure is from Alexandros and the sculpt is amazing, the cast is not perfect, you must clean it, and carve some parts,but still a beauty.
  9. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Roland..metal is always imperfect, but how do do rate vs the old Poste Militaire, or Pegaso? Am try9ng to reduce some allergic reactions to dust..resin kills me, metal less severe and Dan manage the filings better than electrostatic resin bits
  10. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Well i would say Pegaso it’s much accurater, for me on a list from 1-10, Pegaso has 10, than Alexandros has 8 points. I think, and this is my oppinion only. The sculpt of the face , the features, the character it’s amazing!! This is defenetly not my last figure from this brand.
    grasshopper likes this.
  11. Redcap Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant start Roland and the face is tremendous. I love this Alexandros figure but I know from a couple who have built it, that it can be challenging to assemble and then paint. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Gary
    Roland Meng likes this.
  12. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks gents..I don’t get to see the stuff in the flash, or bare metal..so always a lottery. The Koreans cast resin amazingly well, but limited subjects. ...
    Roland Meng likes this.
  13. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    it is challenging..... The cap of him and the shield, first it was really hard for me to realize how to assemble it, because there are some dead spots.. and to paint it, is another Task! But we will see...
    I love resin because the weight,but sometimes i must clean the figure and start over,and toothbrush destroyed for me sometimes some fine details, and i prefer metals over resin.
  14. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Hey Guys,
    A little progress on the armor! I painted the base with Vallejo bronze, and after I washed it with a mix of burnt umbra and black! I removed the excess with a large brush, this steps give a little texture to the armor! This is not noticeable on the pics, because I’m not a good photographer!:( I let it dry 24 hours and I painted the final shadows! Lights are not painted yet.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

Borek, Oda, b00gie and 1 other person like this.
  15. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Like it a lot..am always pleased to seem”simple” pieces rendered with care and detail...done right, as you are, it shows skill and artistic eye..
    Roland Meng and Oda like this.
  16. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Grasshopper thank you for kind words, im happy you like it
    Thanks
  17. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Keep showing progress..I found a couple of Andrea metal 77mm pieces that I’ve ordered..to see how I feel about the workflow for metal...I find resin insidious ..in spite of detail that can be achieved...I find the look of Alexandro’s pieces a bit more pleasant than Pegaso..which sometimes is a bit over dramatic unless used in a vignette...Andrea may be past their best before date, but ordered what was close to see how I feel..
  18. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    Hey Grasshopper,
    I will continue the progress but first I must organize some time! What kind of figures has you ordered?:)
    Cheers
  19. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Just a couple of Andrea 75mm...a samurai, a templar
    Roland Meng likes this.