1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Spartacus

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Happy New Year folks (y)

I made a start on this little fella today, I know he's very rough at the minute but its still early days. I actually slapped some paint on him about a month ago but decided to make a new start for the new year so he paid a visit to the Power Spray booth.

It was also an excuse to try out my new camera, I realise I still have loads to learn but I'm chuffed with the results so far.

Comments welcome as always :)

Spartacus 001.JPG Spartacus 002.JPG Spartacus 003.JPG Spartacus 004.JPG Spartacus 005.JPG
    garyhiggins and Chris Mortimer like this.
  2. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi, going well Billy. Clearly the Andy Whitfield Spartacus, great actor gone too soon.

John
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi John, indeed it is based on Andy Whitfields character, well spotted.

The model is from Scale75 and it was a lovely sculpt till I got my hands on it ;) I managed to flatten his nose and also snapped off a sword blade so had to rebuild both from a 50/50 mix of Greenstuff and Milliput.
    baronband likes this.
  4. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    ARRRRGH been there mate! Looking good so far. Great pose!
    Eludia likes this.
  5. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Been there too Billy, I don't think I have had a rifle bayonet that has survived yet! They seem to clear the desk when they escape too, leaving me to look like I'm on my knees praying, feeling around the floor for the escapee.

John
    Eludia and tomifune like this.
  6. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    Great effort so far! I really enjoyed painting this guy. The face has some of the best detail I've ever come across in 75mm
    Eludia likes this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I did a bit more work on some of the flesh areas tonight. Just initial wet-on-wet shadows and highlights on his head, torso and left arm but I'm fairly happy with progress so far. The oils are still wet so there is a bit of shine on the pics, hopefully a night in the hot box will matt it down a little (a big thank you to Ron Clark (kagemusha) for the photography tips)

Let me know what you think (good or bad)

Spartacus 005.JPG Spartacus 006.JPG Spartacus 007.JPG Spartacus 008.JPG
    Macca G and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,

I returned to Spartacus after a break for a couple of weeks (building an Airfix Spitfire, which was a lot of fun tbh). I made a bit more progress with the painting, photography is still a bit rubbish but slowly, slowly catchy monkey ;)

Comments welcome, as always.

DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Same photos but with some fill-light to brighten them up a little:

DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG
    Macca G likes this.
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom