1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Soviet scout WW2 - Reedoak 3D print - 1:32nd - Completed

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Completed this a few weeks ago, but didn't get round to photographing and posting it until now.

For those who missed the WIP thread: This figure is a 3D printed figure from new company Reedoak. The company makes 3D scans of re-enactors and then 3D prints them in a range of scales. The figure you paint is an actual 3D print, not a resin copy of it, although the material is very resin-like.
    Their figures are incredibly realistic and it is something special to paint one. I warmly recommend trying this for yourself!

This figure depicts a 2nd world war era Soviet scout in 'amoeba' camouflage suit. I painted the 1:32nd scale version; it's also available in other scales up to 1/24th scale.

Painting is done with Vallejo acrylics on Humbrol basecoat.

Hope you like it.

Regards,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Grenh3, Mike Stevens, Joe55 and 24 others like this.
  2. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Lovely work, the 1/24 version is waiting in my grey army!(y)
    Cheers,
    Piet
  3. Edward A Fixture

England
    Excellent as usual!
  4. Krest063 Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Oh , very good job !
    Andrey
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Lovely work, as always Adrian! (y)
  6. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    A gorgeously detailed figure to be sure, but I'm convinced that your painting could make a lump of coal look awesome Adrian - fantastic job sir!

Cheers,
    Brian
  7. Adrien Campbell Active Member

Adrian, brilliant results. Camoflauge well balanced/spaced.

How were the printing lines on the figure? Did you remove them? I have purchased 3D printed items before and have struggled with removing the evidence, so any advice would be most welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Adrien
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Excellent painting in this scale, look's superb.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb Adrian.(y)
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Very nicely done.
    Cheers
    John
  11. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Great work Adrian, very nicely done.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for commenting and liking guys!

@Piet: I would have liked to do this in 1/24 because some of the details are quite difficult to paint in smaller scales, with my eyes at least, but that one has only recently become available. Have fun painting it!

@Andrey, Nick, Edward: Thanks!

@Brian: Well, thanks very much for the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure if I'm any good painting blacks...! ;-)

@Adrien: Thanks. On careful inspection, using stray light and magnification, print lines are indeed noticable. Without help, I could not see them. Strangely, but luckily, they are more evident on places where they are easier to correct. For example, they can not be seen on small detail such as the barrel of the rifle, but are visible on parts of the uniform. I solved that by applying a slightly thicker basecoat (by brush) on those areas.
    So, yes, lines can be noticed, but one needs to look very very closely and they can largely be hidden by spending a bit more attention on the basecoat.
    Interestingly, these 3D prints do not have seam lines and need no assembly, like traditional cast figures, so even with this extra effort needed on the basecoat, preparation time is still shorter than with normal figures.

@Carl, John, John and Bob: Thanks a lot!

Rgards,
    Adrian
    Krest063 likes this.
  13. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Brilliant all around.
    Green Devil in all his glory.
    There is a great Russian movie about them "Zvezda".
    Krest063 likes this.
  14. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Excelent work indeed. Bravo Adrian!!!

Cheers Borek
  15. Pavka Well-Known Member

Poland
    Superb! I love the face and especially the way you made shaved hair!
    Cheers
    Pawel
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very accomplished painting Adrian.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very nice paint as usual Adrian.(y)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Some sharp brush work there Adrian (y)! Super realistic especially with this new type of figure!

Joe