1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soviet Officer bust - TGB

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Mongo Mel, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Here's my version of the TGB Soviet Officer bust.
    Tried some new techniques on this one.
    Primed in black and the original method I was shown for painting the face.
    Burnt Sienna all over, wiped off and then blending up to the highlights with other colors.
    Plus, I really tried pushing my contrasts (although the photos may now show this too well).
    Really appreciate any constructive criticism here.
    Thanks.
    Craig
    Soviet bust 035.JPG Soviet bust 036.JPG
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Craig!
    I like very much. The transitions are very well done IMHO and the flesh tones are great for me.
    My only criticism is the right eye seems bigger than the left.
    Great work Craig!

Cheers,
    Pedro
  3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Pedro,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment here.
    You're right, the right eye does look bigger than the left.
    I have difficulty getting the eyes balanced.
    Especially when the sculpt of the eyes makes the openings different sizes.
    After several tries, this was the best I was able to manage.
    Thanks again :)
    Craig
    Noel Walker likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

nicely painted bust
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think you have done a great job on this! lovely tones and feel to it (y) .. I would not worry to much about the eye! ... as, I would assess that most, 'Russian Officers', needed at least one eye with a, 360 degree field of vision! to keep a watch on the, NKVD! which where behind them!:D.. I bloody would have!!!

Regards,

Mark
    Mongo Mel likes this.
  6. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nicely done. Strangely enough I was watching a film the other day and the main character had eyes of different sizes and because I took note of this I have been looking closely at other actors on television and videos and different size eyes are more common than I had previously noted.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Craig.

Marc
  8. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Nice one Mark :)

Bagelman....interesting observation there. I think I'm going to obsessed with looking at peoples eyes for the next few days :joyful:

Thank you all for the kind comments. Much appreciated. (y)
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, that my be your best piece to date, very well executed. I particularly like your choice of bases.
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Matthew. Very kind of you to say that.
    Funny thing about that base.....It's the exact same as the basic black bases that Ken Thomas makes and sells. He just tried painting it a different color.
    When I saw him again the next year at MFCA, he had several of these on sale at a reduced price. Said they just didn't sell. So I scooped them up quick. What I can't figure out is, even if people didn't like the color, they could have just sprayed them black. Personally, I really like the color. Sort of looks metallic to me. Oh well...their loss, my gain.
    Thanks again :happy:
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Really nice Craig. Especially given a black prime...I don't know how you guys can paint over black. My only comment for improvement is his cross belt. Perhaps add a little wear at the edges and/or shine it up a bit. It looks a wee bit lifeless to me.

Colin
  12. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Excelent work. I really like it, great for me. But I agree with Colin, good to add a little patina - dirt, wear, damage ... Cheers Borek
  13. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  14. Osvald Active Member

Latvia
    I'm sorry, I do not see on the chase, who he rank? If Major, a star on the pursuit to be transferred to the center of the ring.
    Sorry for my english.

Прошу прощения, я не совсем вижу на погонах, кто он по званию? Если майор, то звезда на погоне должна быть почти по центру погона, два просвета согласно цветам родов войск , и эмблема войск должна быть обязательно на погоне.
  15. Noel Walker Active Member

Man I tell you I have the same problem, a lot of times the eye openings on the castings are not consistent with each other oh well
  16. Noel Walker Active Member

I find the eye openings being different quite frequent on castings, you just try and do what you can