1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Soviet cossacks Zvezda 1/35

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Venko, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Hi,
    This is a commission work for a fellow modeller, and I will enjoy showing the process of painting these nice figures from Zvezda. Very dynamic poses, I like the horses and their musculature-very nice for 1/35. Of course some filling and sanding was needed, but the parts fit well. The sabres are very fragile, I will paint them separately.
    Primed with GSW Grey matte primer-my new favorite acrylic primers.
    I will paint them in blue like in the boxart :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards!
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    They look very good. Zvezda stuff is much improved of late. I have some of their AFV and aircraft kits in the stash, and they are top quality.
    I shall watch these guys develop with interest(y)

Phil
    Jed likes this.
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

I've been meaning to pick up some Zvezda figures, never seem to find any helpful reviews so I keep holding back. Are these the kit heads? If so, that's rather impressive.

Kimmo
    Jed likes this.
  4. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I'm building now their T-34/76 and M4A2 Sherman and they are very nice kits for the price.
    The heads are the kit ones, faces are with good detail, but are two pairs of the same facial expression.

Cheers!
    Jed, Airkid and DaddyO like this.
  5. Kimmo A Fixture

I just may have to pick up some next time I make an order, thanks! Will watch to see what you do with these.

Kimmo
    Jed likes this.
  6. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    First, the horses :)

I applied initial base coat with the airbrush, different browns and one light grey. The browns were coated afterwards with thinned Chestnut ink from Scale75, like filter, to alter the base color and give slight satin finish.
    Now the main work-highlights and shadows.

[IMG]
    Nap, Billy Dickinson, Oda and 6 others like this.
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This looks really interesting Venko! I will certainly stay tuned for more. :)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Jed likes this.
  8. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice work,looking forward to the rest
  9. Oda A Fixture

I had bought the two horsemen reissue box year ago (by Italeri I think) and I had been waiting for ages for Zvezda to make them available again.Bought them the minute they appeared.Even after all these years they remeain some of the best cossacks out there.Lovely start.I will follow with interest.I would also like to know what you have in mind for the setting/scenery.

Oda.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  10. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    It is a commission for fellow modeler, he will do the scenery, but he wanted me to paint the figures ;)
    Oda likes this.
  11. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Great project. Looks terrific. Good luck with it, can't wait to see it develop.
    Rick
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Venko,

Nice to see these being highlighted ...more legs than I have seen ever on my bench ....lol

The horses certainly look well posed

Look forward to more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I would advise against that!

The blue Cherkesska was issued with decree No. 67 introduced on April 23, 1936 and with decree no. 005 from February 1, 1941 abolished.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It therefore only appeared at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War - the remaining stocks were plotted. Possible would also soviet-finnish war (Nov. 30, 1939 – March, 13, 1940)

Then they went over to the traditional black and red Cherkesska....:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

In the front line, the black Cherkesska was sometimes (but not always!) replaced by a gray one - then black beshmets (shirts) were worn ...:

[IMG]

By the way, on the original picture, which was the template for the Zvezda box art, the Kuban Cossacks wear black Cherkesskas ...:

[IMG]

So much about history - but of course you have to like it ...!

Cheers

Cheers
    KenBoyle, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  14. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Good to know, thanks!
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Two pics of the victory parade, Moscow, June 24, 1945...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    KenBoyle, Nap and Venko like this.
  16. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Martin, thank you for the comprehensive info, but as I said it is a commission work and the person wants the uniforms blue for his diorama.
    So they will be blue :)

Regards!
    Oda likes this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Martin,your expertise on the cossacks has no equal mate.

Oda.
  18. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Forgot to post pictures of these :)
    Not a bad figures, some soft detail, but this is because I'm used to the high quality of the resin figures already.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Venko

Nice finish , your customer is going to be pleased , will he add reins as well ?

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Venko like this.
  20. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done Venko! :)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Oda and Venko like this.