Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by montythefirst, Jan 6, 2014.
My kids bought me this one for crimbo so done some cleaning up today.
Done some more today applied a coat of primer then discovered lots of air bubbles i had missed
so out came the Citadel paint-able Green stuff a really great product mixed with a little thinner was able to wash over the areas. as shown in the pictures
ok got the bubbles sorted out fresh primer on although left side went a little shinny hopefully this will not effect base coat
ok so after this noticed more air bubbles think i got them all now so sprayed the flesh base coat
smock base coat laid down using model air hemp
Looking good so far Simon. I'll be following closely as I've just got my first airbrush and I'm a bit apprehensive about using it. So far all that's been through it is some primer...and I felt I got better results using halfords rattle can primer, maybe I didn't scrub all the grease off the figure.
when i got mine i soaked it for a little while in some dilluted winolene/windex which seem to do the trick on that front, in terms of using it, make sure your air psi is at a good level between 15-30psi usually best and then practice on paper or spares you have this will help you with thinning of paint to get the right mixture
Thanks for the advice, I've been spraying at about 10-15 psi..maybe that's my problem. Day off on Friday so I'll be mostly spraying stuff
I scrubbed my figure with soapy water and a toothbrush (used the wife's, gotta think of my health and well-being), I'll try soaking the next one first.
no problem Billy glad to help
gave the helmet a coat of chain mail
next job was to base coat the fieldblause using vallejo field blue
Removed the masking tape and guess what i found more bl@#dy air bubbles so more filler then touched up
next job will be masking to spray camouflage pattern
Haven't done much on this one for awhile as been moving around my workroom,
so here's what i have done recently
using this image as a guide
i used the technique shown in this thread to paint the splinter pattern
First i masked off the base colour in order to form the splinter blocks
I then airbrushed a coat of green using model air us dark green
this was then masked off in key places to form the green blocks
This was then airbrushed again with a mix of mud brown and hull brown
the masking removed the the effect is shown, next is to shade and highlight all blocks on the smock, highlight shade areas of base exposed and then paint freehand the rain marks.
more to follow soon
ok so i applied a khaki wash over the base to darken it and blend more in
also shown is the helmet which i airbrushed freehand with a field applied camouflage
sorry about picture quality misplaced camera
more to follow soon..ish as my darlin wife requires my wall painting skills at the mo
Hopefully will get some more done soon, been rearranging my desk and bedroom where it is located has been a no go zone whilst my wife has been studying for Nursing exams so not got much done
Did some work on the eyes and base the leather straps and zippers going to give this leather method a try http://twistedbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/textures-leather.html
It's looking really good now
Got some more work done, base coated the helmet strap, applied the ink washes to the y straps, done initial work on metal studs and d rings
The splinter coming along nicely.
Separate names with a comma.