1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Southern Pride. H&V 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great progress Colin.
    The way that you have laid on the grey and yellow is very well done. Black and white mix is never easy to make it look interesting but you have done really well here.
    If there was anything that I would do to this fella is to add some shadow to the yellow facing colour. I only say that because I love painting yellow uniform detail.
    He's coming along very well, I like what you are doing here Mate.
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I find that when it comes to yellow lights and shadows everything is tricky.
    One thing i've learned is that in smaller figures contrast is a must, but it gets more complex with the size of figure and herder to capture that delicate balance between lights and shadows.
    I also learned that is a matter of personal taste.
    And cameras play real tricks on all of us.
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    It is a good point that I always for get Daniel.....the camera effect.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    MarquisMini likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Nice work so far.
    Ralph.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Yes Keith, i have learned the hard way.
    By the way, i am waiting to see more of your stuff mate!, maybe another Napoleonic?
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Wow you are a hard task master Daniel.
    Currently converting a horse for a Crimean piece......no panic.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    MarquisMini likes this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I think it is good to learn that way keith, you hate it so much that it happen that you wouldn't repeat it hahha.
    Cheers and looking forward to that conversion.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx alot guys!
    The shadows on the yellows are a touch darker in person but not overwhelmingly. Using violet to shade, I found once I got to a certain level, it started to look muddy. When I use Burnt Cadmium Red I find the shadowing to be a bit "crisper". I don't know if that word makes sense in describing what I mean.

Anyway, trying to build a fence now

Colin
    Huw63 and MarquisMini like this.
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I understand what you mean, i will have to try that color for shadows next time.
    More pics please!!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all
    Finally got back to the bench.
    I decided to set this Confederate Cavalryman somewhere in or around Richmond, Virginia at the start of the war, before the First Manasass. He'll be standing on a dirt pathway in front of a picket fence... probably his own yard, waiting for his mates to join up with his unit.

The section of fence is balsa wood, I wanted it to look a little old and worn so I made the fence, washed it with very thin black wash to make it feel old. Then I "whitewashed" it with progressive layers of watered down offwhite. In spots, streaks of grey show through and some of the boards are a little rough to complete the effect.
    DSC01400.jpg DSC01401.jpg
    The ground was simple, Apoxie Clay a few tiny stones, static grass, a little long grass and some small scrub plants along the fence. The path was based in Englih Uniform and drybrushed up with layers of Green-Brown, Khakis and finally Buff and Sand Yellow.
    DSC01402.jpg DSC01405.jpg DSC01406.jpg DSC01407.jpg
    The chunk of wood is another Icestorm resque... a nice little piece of Silver Maple... very lightly stained and clear coated.

The final piece will be posted in a separate "Completed" thread in vBench, probably tomorrow.

Cheers

Colin
    tiberius57, crf and Aveleira like this.
  11. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Nice, the scratch built fence is great!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Super setting. Your groundwork like your painting is great.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice fence Colin! The base is made of a beautifull piece of wood.
    It seems like he is going to be nicely settled there ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Terrific fence Colin!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys.
    I struggled with the fence, I find it hard to make something out of new material and try to make it look old while still looking natural. Creating random effects is easier said than done.

I may build another one... to keep Shooter on the perimeter of the bench instead of smack dab in the middle of the work area.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  16. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great! Nice touch with the flowers and vegetation!
    Bring it Sunday! Can't wait to see it! This is a very nice composition! Simple and very effective! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno
    He'll definitely be there Sunday.

See ya there

Colin