1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Southern Pride. H&V 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I'm liking what I see so far Colin. The highlighting on the braid is effective and the face is very southern aristocrat.

Keep on painting.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

Looks really good. Thanks for more inspiration. Especially love the eyes giving character.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Some progress on our Southern Gentleman...

Boots are 90% done... a little more wear around the soles, heels, instep and wrinkles around the ankles. The very last pic shows the boots as close to "in the flesh" as possible, though the rest of the fig gets washed.
    Kepi peak and band, sword grip, belt, holster and pistol butt are done.
    DSC01383.jpg DSC01384.jpg DSC01385.jpg DSC01386.jpg DSC01387.jpg DSC01388.jpg DSC01389.jpg DSC01390.jpg DSC01382.jpg
    The method for the black leather was as follows:
    • watered down mix of German Gray and English Uniform
    • another coat with more Engligh Uniform
    • more English Uniform added and applied as a highlight
    • straight English Uniform touched along very edges of folds, spur leathers, soles, heels and wear spots.
    • Multiple washes of thinned down black ink (Citadel Badab Black wash) until desired tone and sheen achived.
    As mentioned, a little more wear will be added using Light Brown applied dryly... not quite drybrushed.

The gray will need some touch ups once everything is glued together... I notice a couple of "Ooops" spots that need attention :oops:

Comments and critiques welcome... Please

Colin
    Aveleira, Bailey, Wings5797 and 6 others like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Like it a lot. There is a dark grey dot on his lower right abdomen you might want to touch. What's the plan for groundwork?

PS just read your post above....preaching to the choir much? Sorry

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    HaHaHa That's OK Colin my brother... just chalk it up to a senior moment, being all retired and all.

As for groundwork... I was thinking very early in the war... even during the mustering of the Confederate forces outside Richmond, before the first Manassas. Maybe on a path in front of a gate or a section of picket fence or in front of a garden... something sedate, like that there... y'all.

:whistle: That's me "Whistling Dixie"... just to set the mood :joyful:
    crf and zane666 like this.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

Good progress Colin. Liking your colour choice more and more.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Adrian.
    I figured two grays would make the two garments more distiguishable... gray is NOT a forgivable colour to work with. I do like it with the yellow trim as opposed to the grayish blue of the infantry. Something a little different ;)

Cheers

Colin
  8. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Love the idea of a picket fence and gate section, traditional white i'm thinking, it would set off your figure quite well.

regards Zane
    ChaosCossack and tiberius57 like this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Love the boots! They look tip-top!
    Work is coming along very well! This figure has a very nice atmosphere! Thinking to buy!
    Cheers mate! Will follow with great interest!
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx guys for the support... down to the short strokes now. The end is in sight.

Does anybody have any insight as to whether the spurs would be steel or brass?

Cheers

Colin
    Huw63 likes this.
  11. Huw63 A Fixture

Looking good Colin. I believe they spurs would most likely have been steel but I stand to be corrected of course.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Just came across a pair of confederate (officer) spurs that had been silivered, so i suppose anything goes.

Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Huw and Zane...
    Steel sounds right to me as well. I guess with the rest of the Rebel uniform system... It depends how deep your pockets are ;)

Cheers

Colin
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I am really impressed with your figure Colin.
    Grey is not am easy color to paint, and on top of that, the other nightmare...yellow!, i really like the shade of yellow you've use here.
    Your figs are getting better and better.
    Best regards my friend
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Daniel
    You're right about grey... a product of black and white (at the most basic level) yet I found it harder to work than either of them. I made two different greys, warm for the coat and cool for the cape... Both were a bitch to work with :inpain::LOL:

Yellow I actually don't mind. Usually I start with Flat Yellow + Burnt Cadmium Red. This time I tried advice from Roger and yourself... Flat Yellow + Violet. I think it worked out alright. I added a touch of Ice Yellow to the base of the cuffs and collar of the coat to give it a different value than the yellows of the kepi, cuffs and lining of the cape.

Thanx for the advice and the generous compliment

Colin
    MarquisMini and billyturnip like this.
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

No generous compliment my friend, your brushwork deserves many compliments.
    In my opinion, you have achieve a very close historically accurate confederate grey .
    As for the yellow,i do have pale yellow or iced yellow from vallejo, i don't remember the correct name.
    I bought few bottles of citadel paints and i also decided to try their Edge paints line, and i have to say they come in handy, i just watered down a little with the brush and makes a great detail on the edges of cuffs , lapels and collars.
    You should be very happy with this miniature Colin.
    regards
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Colin - re. spurs....the excellent Time Life book on the CSA with all colour photos shows 4 pairs of officers' spurs.....3 brass and one presentation gold plated, no steel. Pp. 172-3

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin. I hadn't found anything definitive on the spurs yet... Saw them in steel and brass but now that you mention it, it makes sense trooper's spurs would probably b
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I thought your figure was an officer?

Colin
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    shit

Be steel while an officer's would be brass, or in the case of a real dandy... gilt.

Don't know what happened with the "premature post"... must have gotten over-excited:sorry:
    crf likes this.