1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Southern Pride. H&V 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all

The latest piece I'm working on. I have the two Civil War pieces from H&V on deck and as Zeno is doing the Union fig, I figured I'd go North v South and take on the Confederate fig first. Picked up this guy at the IPMS Ajax show from Bent Bristle... Thanx Alex and Anthony (y)

The box art depicts an Infantry officer but I decided to go for an early war Cavalry Lieutenant... I like the yellow trim ;) That being said, painting this scheme, I'm not doing myself any favours.... yellow, pain.... even worse, the evil "hate child" of two of the most merciless colours (black and white) GREY:nailbiting:
    I've taken a shot at two different greys... a warm grey for the coat and a cool grey for the cape. A third, bluegrey was thrown into the mix on the trousers.
    FabricColorsCivilWar_SM1.jpg FabricColorsCivilWar_SM2.jpg FabricColorsCivilWar_SM3.jpg
    The Cool Grey is Medium Grey + English Uniform + Blue Grey. The Warm Grey is a mix of Medium Grey + English Uniform. The Cadet Grey is straight Blue Grey.
    These are the greys, basecoated...
    DSC01288.jpg DSC01289.jpg DSC01290.jpg DSC01291.jpg DSC01294.jpg
    The greys done, a few tune-ups notwithstanding. The yellow is strictly based. I will adjust the yellows on the coat, cape and sash so as to have different shades of yellow on the two garments and the sash having some gold running through it. The base yellow is Flat Yellow with a touch of Violet (thanx Daniel and Roger)
    DSC01301.jpg DSC01303.jpg DSC01310.jpg DSC01312.jpg DSC01314.jpg DSC01308.jpg
    The head basically done...
    DSC01304.jpg DSC01305.jpg DSC01306.jpg DSC01307.jpg
    The head, body and cape tacked together.... this is where we're at so far.
    1DSC01316.jpg DSC01318.jpg DSC01319.jpg DSC01320.jpg DSC01321.jpg DSC01322.jpg DSC01323.jpg
    As always, comments, critiques, hints and suggestions are welcome and encouraged

Thanx for dropping in

Colin
    Watts, balder, Blind Pew and 12 others like this.
  2. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks good so far Colin. As luck would have it, I just started cleaning up my copy, which I picked up in Chicago. How was your copy? Mine had some pretty serious seams to remove and a rather large air bubble right where the collar is. I sorted it out all right though so no worries. I was just curious because the iron brigade figure was almost flawless. Anyway, good luck the rest of the way.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work so far.

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Colin, it looks like a nice crisp sculpt, great facial features and you seem to have brought them out well with the painting. It will be following with interest how you get on with the greys.

regards Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great start Colin.
    I really like your work on the face.That eyes left touch adds a huge amount character to the whole figure.
    Well done Mate,
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I am liking your flesh and face, as well as your choices of greys, or should I say grays for this subject?

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Glenn, Marc, Zane and Keith. I found both this and the IB sculpt to be excellent. Small casting blocks, barely a scrape to remove lines. A tiny ridge across the fingers of the sword hand was all.
    Thanks Colin, I tried to get rid of the "doll face" by shading to narrow the cheeks and deepen the eyes. I'm sorry,my spelling is atrot... atros... atrox... ummm... really not good :(

Thanks for looking in

Colin
  8. Ferris A Fixture

I love this figure and your colour choices Colin. Very original to go for yellow.

My version was a flawless cast as well. Just minor seams and very small casting blocks as well.
    I have assembled and primed it and hope to be starting it soon.
    One thing I would advise anyone building this figure is to make sure the sabre hilt can be fitted after painting. It fits in a slot between the clothes, but if this is not sligthly widened, it will not fit.

Looking forward to your progress and base Colin.

Cheers
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Coming along nicely Colin.

cheers
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good so far. I am working on a Reb myself. I have not tried a Scale 75 figure yet so thanks for the feedback.

Bob
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I agree, he is coming out rather nicely. Keep it up and this guy will have loads of character (y)!

Joe
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Adrian, Pedro, Bob and Joe thanx for the kind words of encouragement.
    Adrian, you're dead on about the fit of the scabbard. When doing the dry fitting of the parts,the slot you are referring to had to be massaged just a touch. More just to straighten the edges for the scabbard to sit comfortably in the slot. Other than that tiny bit of work, the rest of the pieces nearly snapped together. In the last pics only the head has some blu-tak holding it, the other parts are resting in place.

Great sculpt!!!

Colin
  13. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good Colin!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looking very good and will follow closely!(y)
    Cheers bro!
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Colin!

I have just stopped by this new work of yours. Nice gray tones, very accurate I think!
    Good luck with this figure. I'm sure it'll pretty nice ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for the words of encouragement Pedro and Zeno.
    Gray is an absolute bitch to work with... more fickle than both black and white. I think by modifying the two shades I used by adding English Uniform and Blue Gray, that made it a little more forgiving and gave them more distinct tones.

Tonight I finished the yellows and did the sleeve and kepi braiding... I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers

Colin
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work on this guy, Colin. I like the variations in the grays, adds some more visual interest to the figure. The shading on the face is also really well done. I look forward to your next update!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Bailey,
    A compliment on face painting from you is a great compliment indeed :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Next installment coming up shortly... later tonight in fact

Colin
  19. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great, waiying for your Imperial guard drummer!
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Quick update...
    Yellows done. Lieutenant braid (single line knot) is done with Goldbrown as the base, highlighted by adding Pale Sand, very watered down gold (Sargent acrylic) and finally a couple of passes of Sepia ink.
    DSC01324.jpg DSC01326.jpg DSC01327.jpg DSC01328.jpg DSC01330.jpg
    Head, hands and cape are still only blue-tak'd on for the pics.

Opinions on the gold braid are welcome as I'm still not confident with it :unsure:

Cheers

Colin
    tiberius57 and crf like this.