1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soult by Night WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Angaliel, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello friends,

I hope you remember when first I presented you my project :

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11028

I started it last night.

[IMG]

This is the really earlier phases of the paint session.

I still need to paint some shades and highlights (especially over the leafs, around the light source on the wall......)

I'll do the same strong contrasts on the figure.....well I'll see if it will work :)

Comments and critics are, of course, welcome.

I wasnt on PF these lasts days.....it seems that I've missed some good work...I'll go check :)

JP
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    JP, That's really nice so far. The real challenge comes when you paint the figure.~Gary
  3. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looking good so far JP.Give us some updates!
    christos
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That will be a real challenge JP. OSL is always difficult, and I'm very curious how you will interpretate that.

Xenofon
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    JP,

That would be a very great challenge. I really like to see this come's to an end.
    You can do it.

Marc
  6. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx friends,

OSL is really dificult and different than zenithal paint.....

Well, let's see if I can have a good rendition when's finished.

JP
  7. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hallo JP,
    Only a little suggestion...I think rather improbable that Soult walked in the street by night in parade dress and ceremonial sashes, but more improbable is the marshal stick in the hand, can you think to change the right hand?
    Amicalement
    MdM
  8. itifonhom New Member

Germany
    The idea is really good and challenging, can´t wait to see your interpretation, please keep us posted on this. I second the thought of Marcellin, it´s kind of strange to carry the stab in the night streets. A small conversion?

Anastasios.
  9. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx Marcello for your aditionnal infos about marshall stick and parade dress.
    Well, I'll see if I can switch the wand with something else.

What if : Soult practicing parade in the caserne's cour next to the wall's caserne?
    Nobody knows this little info? Nobody knows that Sould did practice secretely by night how to parade?

Is taht would be plausible? :)

JP
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jean Paul, you are a top painter, but this will be some challenge mate. Best of luck with it, very ambitious, but I'm sure you can pull it off. ;)
  11. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    HI Jean
    this idea is interesting and the beginning is very nice
    good continuous :)

MAB
  12. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi JP,
    If you want practise an exercise of painting, you can make all whay you want, but I think your Soult will rest an exercise of painting, surely very nice, but not a reproduction of an historical figure, correct in his ambiance.
    Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult, one of the best marshals of Napoleon in tactics, though a great robber in Spain, did not wear that uniform by night in streets, neither in barracks, or outdoor of these. That uniform of Colonel Général des Chasseurs à pied de la Garde Imperiale and the ceremonial red sash of the "Legion d'Honneur" order were dressed in fixed occasions. The sash was sometimes dressed also in campaign, as a sign of prestige, but by night...who might see him walking in parade dress? I understand you can't change the uniform, and at the same time you like paint the marshal in an enchanting air, but... So we can only imagine that our Marshal has been in an official ceremony and now he is going home, just got out from his carriage (I think better without the ceremonial stick in his hand).
    C'est très curieux que je dois dire ces conseils à un compatriote de Napoléon, n'est ce pas? :)
    Amicalement
    MdM
  13. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx again for all the added infos my friend.

I'm really a newbee concerning napoleonian periods. I've not been interested in that period (a sahme maybe). My historical interests are somewhere else, different time, diferent place.

I do not know what to put in his hand instead of the wand. Any sugestions? (who said a sandwish? lol)

You idea that he left the carriage and going home seems good. But I need to remplace the wand.

Dont hesitate to give me some ideas.
    But I'm not a good modeller :)

JP
  14. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Cher Jean Paul,
    Je ne sais pas ton niveau pour ce qui concerne la sculpture, mais je crois que tu puis bien lever la main avec le baton et y mettre une main nue de chez Nemrod/Historex, ou bien couper le baton et modeler sur son reste un paire de gants. Voilà , qu'en dis tu?
    Je vais traduire pour les amis anglais ou americains: :)
    I think it's not difficult to remove the hand with the stick and put another bare hand by Nemrod/Historex, or you can cut the stick at the extremities and model a pair of gloves with putty :)
    Amitiés
    MdM
  15. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    I'll check an empty hand in my magic box :)

But a hand with gloves is not good, because he has already gloves....

Well, the figure is already undercoated, but I'd like to have a figure more than just an exercice of painting.
    I'll try my best

Thx

jP
  16. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi, JP
    Sorry, I did not remember that he has already the gloves, of the type usually dressed...in high uniform
    Amicalement
    MdM
  17. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello again Marcello,

I cutted the wand from his hand. I did not find any hand the same size than the other (only have some nemrod ones....).

By looking at the whole vignette (called "Soult by night") an idea came to me.
    What if I put flowers in his hand? Wont it be romantic?
    Please dont tell me that Soult did not like females (or males) lol

What do you think?

JP
  18. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi JP
    Sorry, I don't think it's a good idea. If he is going home as we said, he cannot bring flowers (given by a woman?), if he is going to meet a woman (by night may be true and romantic), he doesn't dress parade uniform.
    What think about a walking stick (une canne comme vous dites en France)?
    Have you anyone from Historex? Also Metal Modeles makes them among the spare parts...
    Amitiés
    MdM
  19. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    ......................I think I know now why I dont like napoleonian period :) ...............

I read in a book once that artistic and militay do not fit together lol, I did not understand until now :)

I think I'll keep the flowers idea, because I tried (without glue) and I really do like it.

Let's pretend that we dont know every 5 minutes of his life as some of us seem to know......
    Let's pretend that he secretly loved a woman. And some nights he went with a carriage to the place where lived this mysterious lady.
    He wanted to impress her with his nice dress and also to get some confidence in himself.
    But he did not have the courage he has on fields, to knock on her door. He just waited in the corner of her house....until the flowers died.......
    Going home sadly lonely.......

And my vignette will be that moment of hesitations he had in the corner of the street........

I dont want to drop the whole work because I cant "historically" do it.
    I will do an excellent exercice of painting.

Anyway thx for all the help Marcello.
    Will you be at STVincent this WE? Would be nice to meet you (without flowers :) ).

JP
  20. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi JP,
    It's..as to say...a forced situation, but if you are satisfied with the flowers, the secret woman and the romantic visit with... sword, you have to make what you desire.
    Referring to the matter of pretending to know or not the amazing life or these men, well I can say you that Soult was married fifty five years with a german woman named Louise Berg, native from a little town near Dusseldorf. His marriage was really happy, but you know these Commanders were often in campaign, Austria, Germany, Spain, then who can say that husband and wife had not some bed adventure?
    Now, I can tell you that I studied a little the nap history, and to all the fans of painting and sculpting historical figures I suggest to respect history. I think that painting or sculpting figures is a wonderful way to study history and learn things which increase the mind and the culture, but anyone can only paint the right light,the nice face and forget what is behind the man in their hands. JP, you are French and you cannot imagine how much you can discover about the history of your Nation only studing the Grande Armée, his men and his uniforms, I want assure you.
    Yes, I'll be at St.Vincent next friday, together with Maurizio Bruno and some friends of Pegaso family. I don't paint figures at the level requested by a competition as St.Vincent, so I don't take part to the challenge, but my passion for nap era is developped in drawings, I'll be happy to show you something there.
    Amitiés
    MdM