1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soult by Night Finished !!!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Angaliel, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello friends,

I have finished the painting exercice on the Metal Modele Soult.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

After seeing lots of painted versions, I decided to paint it in a different way.....by night.

I had lots of mails discuting about Soult historicaly possibilities being by night with his parade costume, with Marcello (that I have met at St Vincent).

We decided that historically my vignette is untrue. Even if I'd like to pretend that he's on his way back home, after an official parade, decending from a carriage. And bringing some flowers to his beloved wife (he was married for 55 years).
    This vignette will be a painting exercice.

I hope you like my different light source effect (by night lol).
    I'm pleased with that first try. I'll definitely try more on some other vignettes.

JP
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Jeanpaul i think that the experiment had a great result. I dont know how it will be when seeing it live under day lights, I mean how much of the night feeling is reflected. But what i can see here is definately a night scene , of a guy in parade dress, waiting a new flirt girl in a corner !!!

Nice Work JP
  3. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Congratulations Jean Paul!
    This is very convincing,very good painting my friend!
    best regards
    christos
  4. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Truly amazing! Great painting, Jean Paul.

best regards
    Artur
  5. MINOS New Member

France
    Whaoouuu Jean Paul !!! what a great job !!!

and i love youre skin tones lol
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    JP I believe you did a great work with the OSL. I believe that you captured that light effect very well.. but it will be difficult to be seen on a show table. That's just my opinion, but the paintjob is great indeed.

Xenofon
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jean Paul this is superb, thanks for sharing it with us
  8. itifonhom New Member

Germany
    Very convincing painting, the effect is amazing! Well done!

Anastasios.
  9. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx for your nice comments friends.

I just wanted to show you one of my last WIP pics, so you can have, maybe a better idea of what is painted and what is not :

[IMG]

JP
  10. MarkL Member

Hello Jean Paul,

very nice painting and I think you really got that night feeling. Could you give some more details about the technical aspects. How did you shade/ highlight, what kind of lighting scheme did you use?
    What colours were utilized for the casted shadows.

A bientôt

Mark
  11. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx Mark.

Well, first here 2 links of previous posted WIPs of Soult :

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11028

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11391

After taking pics with a directionnal light source, I use Cobalt Blue glaze for shades parts, and Cadium light yellow glaze for lights.

That first paintings help me to read the lights effects, better than to always look at the coputers screen........

Then the shades parts are painted with a mix of Ivory Black + Mars Red + small of Yellow Ochre.
    This mix was used a lot by LeCaravage and others OSL painters....

Then I painted Soult as if I was painting 2 diferents figures.
    One mix for the light parts and one mix for the shades.

An exemple : the White parts (gloves, hat, pant.....)

The light parts base mix : Titanium White+ Alizarin Crimson + Cobalt blue.
    The shade parts base mix : Titanium White + Cobalt Blue + Ivory Black.

I highlight and shade each base mix as normally. Except that the final highlights of the light parts, I add a little of Cadium Yellow light to simulate the warm light effect.

The shaded sides are less (very less) well painted than the light side. Because normally everything is mixing in the deep shades, and we cant really see forms......

Hope that helps

JP
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GOOD JOB, Jean Paul (y) (y) !!!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. Bruno New Member

Hi Jean Paul,

I'm very mcuh impressed by your worke. I did a similar work some years ago, an Roman Aquiliver ständing on a fire. From this experience I know how difficult it is to paint a figurine standing half in the light and half in the shadow.

You did this work in an outstanding way. Congratulations, very very nice to look on.

Best regards from

Bavaria
  14. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx Kenneth and Bruno,

Yes Bruno I remember your Roman Aquilifer. There is a pic in french Figurines Magazine.

JP
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jean Paul,

I admire your work, and study it very closely. This is a new dimension for me. I shall look again and again for the whole week i suppose.
    Tremendous paintjob.

Marc
  16. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    ThankU Marc,

This is also a new dimension for me. I have to admit that now I dont want to paint in a "zenithal-classic" way anymore. (I dont mean it's better, I just mean that I like the feeling of trying, seeking and reaching new challenges).
    I'd like to try and experiment differents ideas I have in mind.

JP
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jean Paul,
    I love the figure and the setting. It is a novel and very well executed idea. The painting is fabulous and the mixes were very interesting. Thanks for sharing your ideas and talents. Now if a little of your talent will rub off on me I will be happy. :) Keep posting
    Cheers
    John
  18. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx John :)

I try to take anything I can from others posted painting....
    So feel free to take any of my mix or idea. I'll be happy too :)

JP
  19. MarkL Member

Salut Jean Paul,

thanks a lot for the detailed explanations. Although I'm not painting in oils this is very interesting. I'm really motivated to try out a different lightning scheme on one of my next figures. At the moment there is a certain lack of creativity in painting styles so it is nice to see new ideas. I believe there were some impressive figures painted by you in the competition at St. Vincent?
    I'm looking forward to your next projects, you should think about writing an article.

Best wishes

Mark
  20. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Thx again Mark,

I think the same : there is a lack of creativity in painting !!!!

Well, I try differentw ways of painting. Even at StVincent I had a display with that kind of painting..... but it seems that people dont like "different thinking".... yet? I got a certificate............
    I belive people need time to "accept" different painting style.

But be sure that I wont stop that kind of paint.

My nexts painting projects are :

- Yarri in a dragon's lair. With just a small torch light, and dragon's fire breath :)

- Medical ACW (sculpted by my friend Greg) cleaning his medical tools, with a candle light.

- A chase in a musum gallery between a night guardian and a thief in the 50's... with only light the gardian torch (sculpted by Greg again).

JP