1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

soth carolina US volunteer infantry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by petermh, Nov 5, 2006.

1. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    this is my most recent figure based on aTtrioani painting
    just needs a bit of tidying upand it will be ready for painting
    This was one of the first african american regiments of the civil war.
    Can anyone suggest a suitable palette for painting black skin I paint in oils
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pete, My only comment is that the head appears too small. A Shenandoah Miniature head might be a better fit.~Gary
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very well done, Peter!

Suggestions - feel free to ignore me!

I would carve or file in some folds in the top of the flexed leg above the knee and behind and above the knee and also in the same side lower coat. Some smooth folds in those places would be natural and easy to do.

You got the folds above the belt just right, but I would put just a few more in below the belt, especially on the side with the flexed leg.

And lastly, I agree with Gary, the head looks a bit small. Not by much, but enough to be noticeable.

Again - feel free to ignore me. It's meant to be constructive. We're all learning here! Me especially!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    thanks for the comments guys
    I think the head looks small because of the angle of the shoulders and I've probably bulked up the arms too much, I'll try slimming down the figure a little
  5. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I think it's better to slim him down a little bit.
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Peter,
    I think you have a good start. I like the relaxed pose. you may be right about his arms and shoulders being a bit bulky. On that note, his arms feel too stiff to me. I find it hard to hold my elbows that far up/straight out when standing like this. It looks like maybe they should be at a lower angle to look more relaxed. Keep it up!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Jay I think you may be right about tthe arms being a little too high ,theyre certainly lower in Trioani's painting cosequently the figure is now undergoing major corrective surgery
    Is anybody able to give me any tips on painting black skin tones (in oils)