1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Sorondil, Dinosaur Hunter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Here's something a little bit different. I'm taking a break from my other projects (while I try to figure out how I'm going to finish them), and started on what I hope will be a quick figure. This is Sorondil, Dragon Hunter from Andrea Miniatures, 54mm. I was originally going to keep that Dragon Hunter theme, but as I got to working on him I decided to shift the setting and put him into a pseudo-prehistoric setting. Sort of lands of the lost or Marvel's savage lands, something like that. So now he's gone from Dragon Hunter to Dinosaur Hunter. I even order a set of 1/35 scale velociraptors from Tamiya and hopefully at least one of them will make it onto his base.

Anyway, he's a fantasy figure so I experimented a bit more with the skin. Normally my shadows are Mahogany Brown and Chestnut Brown, mixed with a bit of Rosy Skin Shadow. This time around I used those, but also added 25-33% Imperial Purple. It's not a big change, but it does shift it a bit and I plan to use a lot of reds and purples throughout the figure. From there I went into pure Rosy Shadow, then Fair Skin, and finally Fair Highlight. All of those are Reaper Master Series acrylic paints. On top of that I added some glaze layers of red and purple using the Scale75 Inktensity set (which arrived the other day).

You'll notice some pieces are clearly missing from him. I left off his quiver and left arm (holding the bow) so I could more easily paint the details on his clothing. His right arm isn't in the way, but it is holding a long thin spear shaft with a huge stone spear head. It looks easily breakable and I know there's a good chance I'd accidentally smack it and snap it in half while painting the main figure. So it will be left off for as long as I can.

S01.jpg S02.jpg S03.jpg S05.jpg

There's a small competition up in San Jose, CA next month (the Bay Area Open). So if all goes well I'll bring this guy along as one of my entries.
    Martin64, Veleran, Angaliel and 7 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Very kool... Interesting effect on the skin tones. The fantasy figs really give you a free rein to experiment.
    Inspirational!!!!

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. b00gie Active Member

Romania
    So far everything looks very nice.
    What colors did you use for skin tones?
    Cheers,
    Bogdan
  4. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Colin and Bogdan.

Bogdan, I'm working with Reaper sets of paints (Reaper Master Series). For the shadows I used Mahogany Brown and Chestnut Brown, each mixed with roughly 10% Rosy Shadow and 25-30% Imperial Purple. From there I worked to pure Rosy Shadow (my midtone), then into Fair Skin and Fair Highlight for the highlights. In a few places I mixed in a bit of Vampric Highlight (essentially white) for some extra pop in the highlights. The addition of purple into my shadows isn't my standard mix, but I was playing around a bit since it's a fantasy piece
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

On top of that, I went back with glazes made from red and purple ink. I used the red to add a little more color here and there (cheeks, nose, pecs, abs) and purple to deepen some shadows (cheeks again, under the arms, the back, and some very small touches around the abs).
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. b00gie Active Member

Romania
    Thank you very much! It is very useful.
    Cheers,
    Bogdan
  6. Veleran Member

Greece
    It is great that you used Purple,you should anyway.The more pale the skin the more purple it gets-i remember how white purplish pink many red headed people are.
    .I like it more so because it does not have fake lightning strokes and other common exaggerations.I hope the competition goes well
  7. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Veleran!

I'm making more progress on his clothing. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with all the different pieces, so I'm starting with the pieces where I know what color I want to use and figuring it out from there. I'm playing around with texture on the leather pieces. The straps involved a lot of short semi parallel strokes, getting lighter at the edges. Meanwhile, the larger patches where done more with stippling. The darker shades were laid down normally, but the highlights were built up with small dots.
    S06.jpg S07.jpg S08.jpg S09.jpg
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks awesome!!!
    I wish I could get those results on leather... just amazing!!!

Following along with great intent

Colin
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Colin!

More progress to show on Sorondil. I've trying to balance following the patchwork look of the sculpt with creating a piece that is cohesive. So I'm using a lot of the same colors in my mixes for the different parts. Purples and browns are getting used over and over again, just mixed with reds, blues, and other colors to create the different shades for the piece. I've now attached the quiver and am in the process of painting it.
    S10.jpg S11.jpg S12.jpg S13.jpg
    gforceman, Jeff T, debrito and 3 others like this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
  11. Veleran Member

Greece
    Very nice,do you ever have to use needles for scratching off paint or for other small detailing?Your painting along the design of the sculpture reminds me the good old Brom illustrations of Dark Sun,if anyone still remembers it from the 1992.
  12. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Colin and Veleran.

Veleran, no, I don't do any scraping or scratching. I switch to a smaller brush (00 or 000) for the fine detail work. I try to avoid getting too far outside the lines, but there is often a little cleanup needed while I paint. So I'll be back and forth between the colors as needed to clean up the edges.
  13. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful colors...(y)
  14. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Not much painting over the past week, but I did spend time working on the base. I wanted to create a primordial forest/jungle scene. I've used sticks for trees in the past, but this is my first time creating one from scratch. This is following tutorials I've seen online, but the short version is take a bunch of wires and twist them together. Then start to pull apart the top and bottom to form the branches and roots. From there, use some sort of modeling compound (I used sculptamold) to give it some thickness and finish the shape. As an optional final step, I used some crackle medium to coat the tree and create some texture.

The ground is cork, covered in more of the sculptamold. Then, using white glue, sand and some small rocks were added for further texture. I plan to go back and add some moss, etched brass foliage, and probably some more hanging bits, but first I'd like to paint what I've got so far.
    S14.jpg S15.jpg
  15. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Excellent figure painting. I wouldn't mind trying to paint this figure as something from "Avatar".
  16. Veleran Member

Greece
    It keeps getting better and the crackle coating looks good and is a great idea for tree bark textures.
    I am looking forward to see those hanging roots ,i like the swamp feel,they will surely add even more depth if you had another branch to hang some in the foreground but even one will be also nice.
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Jazz, yeah, the sculpt definitely has a similar look to the characters from Avatar. You could do a very cool scene that way.

Veleran, it's tough, if it were a 2-D image I could easily put a branch in the foreground with the tree outside the frame. But with a 3-D scene I'd have to build up the full trunk too. I had in my head a dense jungle scene when I started... but making that a reality is tough! I may at least add some more hanging vines. We'll see how it looks once I get some color and add the etched brass leaves. I don't want to make the scene too busy, so I'm taking it one step at a time.

Here's a quick shot of the base by itself with a simple black and grey priming.

base.jpg
    ChaosCossack, gforceman and Jazz like this.
  18. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Returning to the figure, I've been working on his big stone spear. I guess if you're hunting dragons or dinosaurs you need an appropriately sized weapon. I drew in a few cracks to help convey the stone look. Simple enough, a thin line of a dark shade following by a thin highlight beneath it. Then I go back with the surrounding color and further thin the lines to create the fine cracks I want.
    S19.jpg
    S16.jpg S17.jpg
  19. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    looking very good, in my opinion the flesh is a bit too white.
  20. Veleran Member

Greece
    I would too like him more tanned.If is pale because there s not enough sun there ,he would freeze with that little clothing,unless he is out hunting only at nights when he will not get the sun tan.
    If you knew the Athas World from the dark sun covers of gerald Brom,which is a good medieval fantasy wasteland barbaric design, you would see there very bright skin characters.