1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sons of the Blood

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by fogie, Nov 17, 2019.

1. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I guess several of us know this one - Samuel Begg's "Sons of the Blood".with its
    title taken from Rudyard Kipling's poem. Of course it's little more than a 'flag waver'
    - a mere jingoistic bit of propaganda published in the Illustrated London News, and
    designed to show the valiant warriors of Empire rallying to the cause against those
    beastly Boers in the Transvaal.
    Nowadays we are encouraged to ignore history and regard this stuff as embarrassing
    Imperialistic nonsense. I suppose that argument has a point, but......if a sculptor chose
    to produce any of the figures in this fabulous illustration, I for one would not be able
    to resist.

Sons of the blood .jpg

Mike
    Gary_81 and marco55 like this.
  2. chailey Active Member

England
    Agreed,
    The nearest to it that has come along recently is the 12omm mounted Bugler that Grod has had produced, absolutely nothing wrong with a little "jingoism".

Steve
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some nice links there - the first and last of them in particular....... anything by Bill Horan is always worth looking at.

Mike
  5. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I would love to see that as a 75mm mounted miniature it would look epic on a plinth. As to the empire side of things I have always been proud of the British empire. Maybe part of that is because my grandfather as a 17 year old was stationed in India leading up to the Independence and the stories and photos from him don't really line up with what the media likes to tell us happened.

Gary