1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soldiers of Italy

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Squadron announces the new release of 3 54mm Soldiers figures.

Squadron.com web site

Roman Signifier Legion XIIII 1st Century AD
    54mm white metal
    sculpted by A. Larucia
    painter unknown

[IMG]

Trumpeter Texas Cavalry 1862 - 1864
    54mm white metal
    Sculpted by R. Patton
    painter unknown

[IMG]

3rd Hussars France 1812
    54mm white metal
    sculpted by R. Patton
    painter unknown

[IMG]
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A Roman...yawn.
    A "Hollywood" Confederate.
    A Napoleonic...yawn.
    Sorry. :) ~Gary
  3. Opsofficer New Member

The horse's conformation is terrible! Looks like it's suffering from hip dysplasia! :eek:

Neck is too long, legs and back too short, rump too low.

Regarding the rump; perhaps if the back legs were not poised for it to jump (with the front standing still), this may fix part of that problem.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with Gary; YAWN! Three over done and stiff figures. The Confederate could have been decent if posed with more drama.
  5. JBoisson New Member

Gee, a Roman Signifier and a Fr. Nap. Hussar--bout time some company came out with figures depicting such under-represented subjects!
    John
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I quite like the Roman.
    The mounted subject might be let down by a poor camera angle, but from the photo, sorry I don't like it.

The French hussar looks perfectly fine, and I've seen a few of them. I reckon that's the problem manufacturers have. This kinda subject has, to a large extent been 'done to death.' As a 'straight up and down' subject we've seen all it before. Also anybody producing one of there has to compete against the French manufacturers such as Metal Models or Le Cimier in this field. They are a VERY HARD act to follow.
    A different pose would make him much more attractive. Shame as it looks to be a really well executed figure as Soldiers ones normally are.
  7. milminwh Member

Greetings,
    You guys are getting to be a tough crowd! I took the step of getting into manufacturing my own stuff during the past few years, and always check the comments of new releases here. I surmise with the level of sculpting getting so good over the years, that overdone subjects such as Civil War cavalry and Napoleonics must pass muster by using more creative posing (although combat poses dont seem to get negative comments) and top notch sculpting (World War 2 subjects usually get good comments also).
    The candor, and overall "blunt", honest replies on this site are always so interesting to read and absorb.
    In the past, suggestions have been posted here for new figure ideas, but when the question is posed, the replies are usually all over the place including scale, historical period, etc., etc. I surmise this is based on the diversification of historical preference, scale, etc. from the talented members of Pf. Its getting more difficult from the supplier side to come out with new products, new ideas.
    I'm not sure if this question is rhetorical, or not...what should a supplier do to plan new releases?
    Regards,
    John
    Military Miniatures Warehouse
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Good Point John.

I know that the historical periods vary with each members's taste and some of us have several periods that we enjoy. To me it comes down to the figure's pose and facial character........that may match the pose. I find myself doing less and less "straight-up" standing there twiddling their thumbs type pose that we all see, especially the Napoleonics and look for the figure that stands out from this with well done drapery and folds and not just "standing there" Figures like the Prospector that Joe Hudson just did are doing something......and is in the middle of a movement or motion. Much better than a prospector just standing there with his arms to his side. I hope you understand what I mean.

Guy
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jhon,

I got agree with Guy. In the beginning i find all figures attractive. But what i am now buying is mostly figures in a moving position. Not that static.
    So here as just my two cents.
    Hope you coming real soon with something in a moving position.BTW look at the figures of Bill Horan. They are always moving or doing something. Thats what for me is an attractive figure.

Marc.
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    It would be nice to see a little more creativity and research go into what's being produced. If manufacturer X comes out with something manufacturer Y seems to feel the need to do "their" version. So many of these figures just start to look the same, and given the current prices of some manufacturers I would think the buying public would like to get more than a nicely sculpted boring figure that is more of the same thing that was released the month before. ~Gary
  11. D.Lesko Member

I have to agree with everyone. Im tired of static poses and the same subjects over and over. I would love to see more ACW figures, mounted knights in non static poses, ancients that are not greek or roman and busts.