1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Soldiers 54mm Roman Tribune

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariner, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Hello all,
    This was a challenging and fun figure to paint...a few touchups left and I haven't decided on the groundwork yet. The shiny effect on the shield is the crackle medium, which is still drying. I have a devil of a time doing a decent job on 54mm, even with magnification!
    The joys of ancient eyesight:(. He's made by Soldiers.
    Hope you like him,
    Mary

Attached Files:

Kisifer likes this.
  2. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good, Mary. I like the face, nice job with the mouth. You're right, after painting busts and 90mms going to those little 54's can be downright frustrating.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Soldiers? I haven't seen any of their figures in person, but I've been curious. It seems like, for Romans at least, they put a lot of effort into producing historically accurate figures (which I respect a lot). But looking at pictures online, some of their scuplts are hit or miss for me. Maybe it's just personal taste... I don't know. I was just curious what you thought about this kit. What did you think of the quality of the casting? Any issues with mold lines or fitting the parts together?
  3. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Ha ha, David...after the issues I had with my Peg Crusader saddle etc, this was a piece of cake. Really nice sculpt, mold lines were minimal and I had no fitting issues. The only problem was the spear came with a noticeable curve so it took awhile to straighten it out. It was a great little kit.
    Mary
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work Mary, and I didn't seen many white Pteruges.

Marc
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mary,
    Nicely done. Glad you did not have fit problems.
    Cheers
    John
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Mary I like your work, and there is always room for improvement. I also like to see my bases into good use :)

Xenofon
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work, Mary. I know what you mean when it comes to the spear. At my Roman Soldier, I was obliged to use a brass rod. I couldn't use what came as a spear from Pegaso. I salvaged the spearhead and soldered to the brass rod. Drilled the fist and glued in place.
    Love the figurine. Very dynamic posture. From where did you order the figurine?
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done Mary
    Nice bit of dynamic action. What is the background of this subject? I don't know alot about the roman era but the white armour and tunic strike me as being somewhat rare. Nice change of pace from red tunic and bronze armour. would like to know who this guy is.

CJ
  9. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    He's made by Soldiers and I ordered him from Red Lancers in the U.S...www.redlancers.com
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mary!!! :)
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Mary. Perhaps some definition around the pteruges.
    Carl.(y)