1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

Soldiers 54mm Roman Legionary

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Im trying to get into painting again after so much sculpting. It is very rough and it feels 'unnatural' to paint now, as I havent really painted anything since Tulsa last June. Soo here is my rough looking Roman from Soldiers. Im slowly getting into the groove again, but Im not too happy with results so far, it's just kind of dull, but if I keep working on it I oughta get back to it again. He is still in early stages, the flesh is more or less finished and the reds and armor is just started.

Let me know what you think, good or bad.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    off to a good start your face looks nice and ugly , and your metals looking heavy and nice at that point .
    looking forward to see that finished . I dont know if the fles could have some more tanned shade..but thats a mediterraneans taste.....

Keep on mate

Costas
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Costas,

Thanks!

Yeah, he could be darker, but it is early in season and he havent had time to tan yet :)
  4. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Anders, maybe it's the pics but I don't see a high highlight and a deep shadow on the face or armor to set them off. As far as the colors go, they look fine. In fact, I like this figure so far. Especially the way your metalics turned out. Just tweak them a little more. Is this oils or your normal acrylics? The red tunic also looks good. What colors did you use here? Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks,
    Jim Patrick
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim!

Thanks for your comments!

I agree that the figure is a little 'dull' but I think the pics kind of wash the contrast out. Its by no means a lot of contast, but little more then shown, I will try to add some more shadow and see what it looks like.

It is in Vallejos like normal, although I did contemplate on busting out the oils for the flesh but then I quickly got smart and dropped that idea as I am even worse with oils ;)
    The metal areas are Mr. Metalizer's Aluminum with black wash mixed with future floor wax.

The reds and the metals are just started, I wanted to do the Mr Metalizer first so it dont spread metallic pigments on everything when polished.

The red is a mix of Folk Art Light Red Oxide, a Vallejo red, some black and some 914 which I think is Burnt Cad Red.
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Anders,

I LOVE the face and the red clothing, but I'm not too keen on the metal parts. It's looking too rough to my taste and I see no shadows/highlights. But as it's still early day, I assume you will add these. Why didn't you polish the metal of the figure and started working on that? Nothing that looks as metal as metal itself.

I'm looking forward to see this one completed.

Greetz,

Gino.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good so far Anders...........look forward to your next step
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    This is another figure on my list! :lol:

The reds looks great. I am always amazed at the results you get from the craft acrylics.

Keith
  9. Jim Hockett Member

Looking good, Anders. My only comment on the flesh is that his legs are perhaps a little light in comparicon to his face. I especially like the dark shading on the red, you have done a good job with the blending.

Jim
  10. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Anders , you're doing great. I know the feeling of being off the brush for a while. You'll get back to it in a jiffy. I like those flesh tones . The face more than the rest actually. Show us more

Stephen Mallia
  11. jaime Member

Spain
    Good start. I'm agree with Gino, I see no shadows/highlights.

Show us more.

Cheers

Jaime
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the great feedback!

The tunic and the armor is just started and I will work more on these areas next. The reson for not polishing the metal is simple, I am pretty lazy and also clumsy, so if I polished it up nicely you could bet I would screw it up when priming.

I will work on him some more and then post more on this thread!

Thanks again guys!
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, you have done a fantastic job on the Roman, you flesh colors are spot on and I love the way you painted the armor. (y)

Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next step. ;)

Cheers.

Roc. :)
  14. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks great so far. On a good day I can't get my figures to look that "bad". ;)
  15. Pete_H New Member

Forgive me, amigo, but it looks like the lower part of the fleshtones need some serious touching-up (mustache & chin areas). It looks like the metallics ran onto these areas. I imagine it wouldn't take too much time to re-touch these areas.

I like what you did with the red since this is a color that has long been the bane of my existence. How did you do these?
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola guys!

Thanks for your comments!

Roc,

Thanks man, it is your fault Im doing this!

Matt,

Im sure you can! You should post something here though!

Peteey,

In my eyes that area is the best of the whole face :lol:, it's not metallic at all, it's blue, green and black washes!!

As for the red, yes my friend, that is a mystery to me too! I am going to try to make it look decent though, and my plan is to start dark and go lighter with extreme high's a tad pinkish, we will see how that goes!
  17. Brad S Member

Anders,

Looks like a great start. I think some more shadows and highlights on the flesh would help. I really like the reds. Nice to see I'm not the only one that occasionally uses craft paints. I think the lower pigment ratio actually lends itself for easier shadows and highlights. I probably wouldn't base coat with it. Keep up the great work. I always enjoy watching your scupting, and bust painting.

Brad Spelts