1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soldier (Roman Officer)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by daniel, Aug 31, 2008.

1. daniel Well-Known Member

France
    My last model in progress ... O)

Daniel

Attached Files:

2. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    His red boots are a bit too flashy to me
    i would tone in down a bit
  3. daniel Well-Known Member

France
    You are write

You are write, but they 'll be in snow ... O)
  4. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very imposing looking figure Daniel ,will look good on a snow covered base.

David
  5. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Danel,

Great work!

I side wirh Vergilius.

But lets wait (for the snow and see) althought the reds at that time weren't to bright and the bright (whatever that could mean) ones were for rich men (the dye was very expensive).

Cheers,
    Paulo
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks extremely well done.
    We just have to wait untill he is on his base before we give our final judgement.

Marc
  7. theseeker Member

United-States
    Daniel,
    Gorgeous painting. Who makes this figure?
    Rocky
  8. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Rocky the figure is sculpted by Andriano Laruccia for Soldiers, and was presented on Girona World Expo . I think that its really a beautiful figure with character
  9. renarts Active Member

United-States
    I would tend to disagree here. Red dye was made from Madder and was pretty prevalent and inexpensive. It was why the Roman army (and later the British) used it for so much.
    Pliny the Elder (23AD-79AD) in Book 19 of "The Natural History" describes it thus.

There are two other plants also, which are but little known to any but the herd of the sordid and avaricious, and this because of the large profits that are derived from them. The first of these is madder, the employment of which is necessary in dyeing wool and leather. The madder of Italy is the most esteemed, and that more particularly which is grown in the suburbs of the City; nearly all our provinces, too, produce it in great abundance. It grows spontaneously, but is capable of reproduction by sowing, much after the same manner as the fitch. ...

Much of the information I've read on boots like these are the cut and color is more related to a sumptuary law based upon social status more than expense of material. Though obviously the higher up you are in the socal hieracrchy the more you'll have to spend on your boots in regards to leather quality, decoration etc.

I like the character of this figure and you've done a really nice job of painting him.
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Daniel, superb job on a SUPERB figure!!

Ray ;)
  11. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Mate, this is one great looking figure, and l think you have done it alot of justice with your excelent paint job and look forward to seeing it on its base.
    Cheers Andrew
  12. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful figure Daniel, cant wait to get started on mine in the next few weeks
    Cheers
    Tommi
  13. Hardy Guest

Daniel, thats superb. Im doing this one next for a collector, I must say yours will be a hard act to follow mate. Hardy
  14. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    Awesome painting! Congratulations!
    yours
  15. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    HiDaniel
    great work.If the boots are in snow make them moody
    Roberto
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Daniel,
    Great paint job so far and looking forward to the base.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful miniature Daniel!
    christos
  18. Francis Gekiere Active Member

Belgium
    Encore une très belle peinture Daniel, tu a encore grandement progresser ..... superbe

Francis
  19. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    this is a stunning paintjob on that interesting figure. Fantastic, I am looking for the finish and the groundwork
  20. daniel Well-Known Member

France
    Thanks

Many thanks to Vergilius, David, Paulo, Marc, Rocky, Renarts, Ray, Major, Andrew, Tommi, Lennart, Roberto, John and Robert.

Thanks to my friends Christos and Hardy ... O)
    Hardy ... sure your version ‘ll be very expressive and fine ... like always ... your collector is lucky !!! o)
    Merci Francis nous progressons tous les deux tranquillement mais surement !!!

Amitiés à tous

Daniel