1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soldering Horses

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kilsh, Dec 22, 2021.

1. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi

Has anyone got any experience which they could share on soldering horse halves together please.

Cheers

Neil
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Twice tried...twice failed! :mad:
    The melting point of white metal being lower than so called low melt solders in my personal experience.

I either use epoxy resin (2 part)...or epoxy metal putty.
    CA gel is another option...however...it's prone to drying brittle over time...causing cracks to appear.

Ron
    theBaron likes this.
  3. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ron

The melting point is my main concern, I see comments from people saying use low melt solder (but never any examples of it actually being done) but I assumed that white metal will melt at a lower temp than it as you have confirmed.

I agree on CA and some 2 parts getting brittle and flaky, hence why I’d like to try solder. Never used epoxy metal though, may give that a try.

Cheers

Neil
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Soldering white metal?............don't even think about it Neal - stick with the glue if you forgive the terrible pun.

Mike
    winfield likes this.
  5. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mike
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Regarding epoxy glue. Not all epoxy glue are the same some brand becomes yellow and brittle with age.
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, it can be done, but you really need to have some practice and experience with soldering behind you. I starting using 2-part epoxy putty (Aves) to assemble horses, and it's worked well for me.

Prost!
    Brad
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    I remember a friend assembling the 2 parts of chest and back body trunk of the serie 77 150mm Lansdknecht
    Using Das Pronto, then, when dried he added UHU glue and some drops of gel cyanolite, pressed together 24 Hr with a clam^p
  9. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Did a solder repair on a shield (Art Girona Agememnon, which is posted on here somewhere) Since the edge was damaged I couldn't use epoxy or putty because they kept breaking off when sanded hence the use of solder.

Used a low wattage iron (15w I think, but might have been smaller) and a couple of heat sinks alongside the repaired area and did it in a couple ofstages allowing it to cool down between each. Pleased to say that it was easier than I expected although probably caused more than a few grey hairs :rolleyes:

Paul
    theBaron likes this.
  10. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    All

Thank you for your inputs on this. After consideration and speaking to an adhesives expert I have come to the conclusion that whilst soldering could be an option with the right materials and equipment and lots of practice, I’m going to use an adhesive method. I’ll post here if it’s successful.

Cheers

Neil
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Modern epoxy adhesives are so much poorer than those from 30 years ago-If you have ever tried to strip down an old PM, Almond, Barton or Le Cimier figure for re painting. Almost impossible to get some of the pieces apart.

Would be interested to know which are the best thought of Epoxy Resins in current use-the Epoxy Metal mentioned here certainly seems to work.

Keith