1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Soldatini Magazine International

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by jknaus, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jknaus Active Member

Canada
    Our own Giovanni Azzara became the Editor to the Italian figure magazine Soldatini a few issues back. With his passion for figure modeling I think this magazine will see a new surge in interest.

[IMG]

I did a review of the first Electronic copy on another site a little while back. At that time I thought it was a nice mag, but not of a lot of use to me being in Italian. I did buy the next copy just to make sure I was being fair. It ends up I've bought each copy and now it is in English. This has be a lot of work and I hope the effort pays off for Giovanni and the magazine.
    I'm quite pleased with the new format and I am sure it will be of great use. This latest issue deals with German soldiers and as such I think will be of great interest to all readers, not just figureists.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

Included in this issue is a neat little article from Miniatures Fortes with the thought process behind their product selection. There are descriptions of the sculpting process and they finish with a nicely painted duo. Carrying on there is a wonderful step by step for a figure mounted in a Panther turret. The painting of the face, something I struggle with is excellent.  It carries on with more great works. What is so useful to me is the colour call-outs, the step by step format, and the rich vivid colours.

[IMG]

You can buy this magazine in paper format or my new favorite Electronic format. For anyone who has not tried the Electronic format I must say I was less than enthused until my first magazine. It takes no space on the shelf, easy to read anywhere without carting a pile of magazines around, and I can print a particular page of interest. You can also easily set up your tablet at the model bench and follow along.
    I got my copy from Pocket Mags and the particular magazine is here. I paid $6.99 for my issue, but the subscription price is very reasonable also. I highly recommend this magazine.

James
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely right James.
    Reasonable price and great work inside.
    I have not much with the german soldiers and WW II but it looks awesome, and looking forward to the next digital Soldatini international.

Marc
  3. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi James

Call me old school but still like the feel of paper, you said you can still get it in paper form could you direct me on how to get the paper version.
    Cheers

ian
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I love having the mag electronically due to convenience in receiving and low price. As I said somewhere else, my only negative comment on this particular issue was that it should have been entitled SS camo special. I think it would have been better had we had some articles on other types of uniform like Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and perhaps the political side. But the quality was great.

Thanks
  5. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Hi Ian,

I think James was referring to Soldatini, the original, Italian version which is also printed.

Soldatini international is only in digital format.

I hope you can give it a try anyway.

Thanks

Giovanni
  6. nberrington Member

Canada
    I was delighted to see Soldatini in English. I have most of theItalian issues since no 1, and have always found it informative, even in another language. So much better now in English! Anglophones rejoice.
    Digital is the way to go - hopefully eventually with an online searchable index, etc.
    Thanks Giovanni - this is great!

Neil
  7. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Hi Neil ,

What you mean for "an online searchable index"?

We are not the owner of the platform, the app are made by pocketmags and we use all the tools they have.

But I want to listen to all of you to improve.

Thanks

Giovanni
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hope you are listening Gio :) how about some articles from oil painters there are some pretty good Italian ones .

Ron
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  9. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Hi Ron,

Always listen!;-)

We have at least one article about oil painting in each issue, Giorgio Montesano is a true talent and he painted the green devil with oils.

In the next issue we have three artists like Luca Olivieri, Giuli Acuto and Andrea Guidarelli explaining how they paint with oils.

Just ask we will be happy to deliver.

Ciao

Giovanni
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  10. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    Quote,quote,quote......let's Oil!!....;).....i really like Soldatini ,but miss some Oil painters,.....comunque un grazie per la versione digitale da parte di un espatriato "impossibilitato" dal ricevere la versione cartacea dall'altra parte del mondo!!.....
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  11. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    Come non detto...Grazie!.....
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Why forget it colannello:confused:

Ron
  13. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Just bought mine :-D
  14. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    There is a little typo on page 54, it´s written "gernadier"
  15. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    No, is a Italian expression...sincerly i dont now really how translate...sound like "forget it" but the meaning is little bit different....o_O ....like "forget my question, you allready give me the answer"....(y)

Jarno
  16. jknaus Active Member

Canada
    Oops, sorry about that. I should have paid more attention.Giovanni answered though, I guess its not available.
    James
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Forget about it "its Ok ":D
    colonnello kurz likes this.
  18. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    hahaha...now i now how tranlate!!....:joyful:
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Giovanni

Thanks for the info I have most of the old mag. will give it a try
    thanks

ian
  20. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've got the ipad version in English of this and it's great, lots of interesting articles, thoroughly recommended!