1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Social Media has a presence, and treat it carefully (IPMS USA Presidential Op-ed gone Wrong)

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by Jamie Stokes, May 31, 2023.

1. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Recently, there has been a big blow up of a expression of calling for more volunteers at International Plastic Modelers Society (IPMS) USA events, by the President Dave Lockhart.

It starts with this article in the printed and posted journal. (which in this digital age, I am curious if there is a digital version available of this journal. Digital copies of books, manuals, newsletters and journals have been around for at least a decade now....)

Analysis below with my thoughts in [brackets]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I'll start with his opening paragraph, where he opens with a climber on his 3rd attempt to tackle Mt Everst "because it's there" and then the climber dies. [Okay, poses a question, then the inspirational person dies, so not a positive opening]

(2nd paragraph) Why is IPMS USA like climbing Mt Everest? Because it is the pinnacle of model building community. 'this might sound hokey, but hear me out' [ it sounds weak. and it shows a limited view of the modelling community, as IPMS USA is not the pinnacle of the community, even within USA]

[IMG]

[IMG]

(3rd paragraph) As a past IPMS Chapter president, and current IPMS/ USA President Modellers keep asking me "why should I join IPMS/ USA [this is a value question. What will I get for giving my time and money to IPMS/ USA] . I'm sure for many of them, their favourite radio station is 'WII-FM' ( What's In It For Me?) I ask them simply 'are you a model builder? Do you go to chapter meetings? Do you go to local or national shows? If so, why aren't you in IPMS/USA?' [this is a self referencing answer. and overly simplistic. And it does not answer the value question posed. Fail.]

(4th Paragraph) Would Plastic Modelling be as prolific as it is without IPMS/USA? [yes, yes it would. A IPMS or any other form of club membership is not needed to buy model kits] No. [wrong] Would we have a national convention without IPMS? [plenty of other modelling conventions happen without IPMS, such as the Armour Modelling & Preservation Society, Wonderfest, the Miniature Figure Collectors of America just to name 3 I am aware of] No. [wrong again] Would there be chapter meetings without IPMS/USA? [a couple of guys meeting at the local pub, or someone's house, already happening] Probably Not. [wrong yet again] IPMS/USA has been the leading organization for promoting the hobby of model building and will be for many years. [facepalm and wrong again. Social media such as Facebook, Instagram (which is where I saw this post) have overtaken hard copy printed media in the last decade. add in 3 years of pandemic, that really wiped out hard copy and/or saw the shift to digital magazines and journals. And IPMS has not been part of that promotion I've seen]

(5th Paragraph) Would folks still be building models? Most likely, but where's the fun in that? [we build because we enjoy, then we share with fellow modellers. No one needs a IPMS membership (or any other club membership) to build models] Most of us are social creatures and we like being around others [This is the first correct point I've come across] Imagine how drab and boring it would be if we all just lived a solitary life. The same goes for Modelers. What's the fun of the hobby if you cant share it with others? [Two things. He's president and needs to wave the flag for his organisation. 2nd point is that this a showing a lack of awareness of social media community bypassing traditional media and traditional clubs]

(6th Paragraph) There are some modelers who have never belonged to a chapter and would never come to a meeting, yet they are at shows, more than willing to pick up a trophy/ award for their work. In My personal opinion (and this does not reflect the opinion of IPMS /USA) [Uh-oh, trouble coming] these folks are freeloaders [Oh fuck. The president is writing an article, but he's not speaking as president? Nope, not how it goes. You write as president , you are writing for the organisation. Epic fuck up.] While they may be excellent modelers, they are only in it for the awards and not willing to participate in the entire process [He makes it sound as though this is a huge problem, as in more than 50% of the contest entrants do this. He has tarred the entire participant and volunteer effort with the same brush] Behind every IPMS/USA event, be it a chapter meeting, local show or national show, there are many folks who volunteer their time and effort and pay for these event to happen. [Misplaced sentence. This should have come before the previous sentence; the previous sentence has undermined the follow up acknowledgment of the volunteers. Plus paying for an event to happen contradicts the idea of a freeloader] Many IPMS/USA members don't realise the truly beneficial advantage of liability insurance cover these events. Most chapters could not afford this and many locations would not allow an event without it. [So now we get to the value question: answer. Liability insurance. That is the only benefit listed so far. It doesn't help a modeler improve his skills, overcome frustrations, solve problems, or learn new techniques he may want to try. And insurance is a grudge purchase anyway]

(7th Paragraph) Will folks be able to attend chapter meetings and shows without IPMS membership? Sure. [Already happening around the hobby, and many are non IPMS related] But if they are regulars, they should be paying their share. [Which is called membership fees/ dues/ subs which once paid, you are a paying member, and the 'Freeloader' term shouldn't apply. But somehow, in this article, still does] I'm an avid listener to NPR (National Public Radio) and much of the funding comes from contributions from listeners [donations or a subscription fee, hardly novel] Does a listener have to pay? No. But if they are going to listen regularly they should pony up (pay money) a little and be part of the process. [More ridiculous shit. I pay a subscription to a magazine, I get fuck all say as to editorial content. I buy a newspaper, only letter to the editor gets published, maybe, and after edited 'for length'. And Commercial radio is paid for by the advertisers, not the listeners.]

(8th paragraph) I thoroughly enjoy being part of IPMS/USA and I hope our membership does as well [Well, glad you enjoy it, apart from liability insurance, you still haven't answered the question of 'what does IPMS have to offer the average modeler?]They are an amazing group of members who work very hard to make IPMS/USA what it is. [even if they are paying membership dues to freeloaders?] Be Proud of being in IPMS/USA and invite fellow modellers who are not. Help with your chapter. Volunteer for leadership positions. Volunteer at local and national shows and pay your dues. [So the liability insurance can be arranged?] We all have an organization we enjoy [Actually, this leads back to3rd paragraph value question. Apart from the liability insurance, no value to the person as a modeler has been addressed] , are proud of [glad you are, still not seeing any value question answers] and which will grow the hobby for many years to come. [That's been happening without IPMS anyway. there's actually been a long term frustration about IPMS being reluctant to change or evolve at all, and it being a dinosaur for a decade or more]

(9th Paragraph) Next time someone asks you if they should join IPMS/ USA, tell them yes [because the liability insurance needs paying?] and let them know what a great organization it is, and how it will help them enjoy the hobby more and and become a better modeler. [ I'm still perplexed. He poses a question of why join IPMS and then only goes on about how IPMS provides liability insurance, and promotes events. David Lockhart is oblivious to the realities of the digital and social media age we live in, and have lived in for the past 15 years. )

(10th Paragraph) a wrap up about how he built a model in 1994 that he bought for his son, but his son was too interested in his Gameboy, a digital entertainment device.

Aftermath of this article

Well, once the journal hit a few letterboxes, it was photographed, then circulated incredibly quickly around the internet, and globally. The President of IPMS/ USA was surprised at digital media, and is now painfully aware of social media.

Modellers adopted the 'freeloader' logo for their avatars on social media as a sign of perverse pride and joint dissatisfaction at paying dues, only attending shows (due to real life demands) and then being labelled freeloaders.

[IMG]

David Lockhart, having his email inbox and Facebook feed fill with tags and messages, issued an apology 2 days later.

[IMG]

This apology, while well meaning, also seems to be muddled and poorly structured. Another key document that was sent out without a another member checking it for tone or style. Or if it was checked, then not given serious consideration and review. (I've written apologies before; this is a weak version. Most important part goes first. I'd like to apologise for .... Currently the most important part is put last, then he qualifies the apology, weakening it.)

Overall, a learning experience for a 'how not to..."

Continue reading...