1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Snow dragon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jazz, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi fellow Planeteers,

This is my latest attempt at a dragon. The kit came with the mouth in a more closed position. I opened it up somewhat and filled the gap with milliput. I also cut away the tongue which was moulded to the base of the mouth and made a new one from milliput. I think this gives the piece a more ferocious look. I have also made some drooling spittle from fixing short pieces of wire onto the teeth and tongue then dripping clear varnish along the wire, building this up on several occasions until the desired result is achieved. The dragon skin is painted in acrylics and shaded in oils. The leather straps are painted in oils. I have used a block of wood for the base which is yet to be stained and varnished. The snow is a liberal amount of ready made filler and soda crystals sprinkled on whilst filler is still wet. The snow drifting down the sides of the base was more accidental than judgement but I quite like this effect so I have left it in.
    Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      196 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      188.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      198.9 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      192.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I forgot to mention. The teeth have also been replaced. I have used rose thorns for the new teeth.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. mcsneed17 Member

Basicaly what kit do you before the conversion because you left the seat on it.
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    rose thorns are a brilliant tooth. Great thinking! I'll have to use this one.
  5. Jazz A Fixture

England
    The kit I believe was from a company called Amata. I am unsure about this. I bought this kit from Napoleon Peart who I am sure can confirm the company if he reads this. The seat is moulded to the dragon and I wanted it to remain in place as I think it adds interest to the kit. The original kit company were going to make several sections for this kit, wings, back, rear legs, tail etc. Which would make quite a large kit when put together. There is also a female rider with my kit that sits on the seat in question but I prefer the kit without the girl.
  6. Jazz A Fixture

England

Thanks for your comment. (y)
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yo John:

I like it, different and a very clever idea.

The Miami Jayhawk (y)(y):)
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice John like the use of the thorns and the spittle.

Cheers David
  9. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks Dave.
  10. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi John ,

You have done a great job on this , the rework you have done on the mouth is so much better than the original ..those teeth ..a clever use of nature ..and the saliva dripping ..so effective and really well done , it looks like its about to slober everywhere .

The painting is top notch , like the base and the colour schemes ....looking forward to seeing this in 2012 ...........I believe that the company is not "extending" the dragon to a full "animal" .

As you said it does come with a rider ..be interested in seeing howyou paint this and the dragon looks with it !!!!!

This wa released by a company called Model Design Comnstruction(MDC) , here is their website ..the models are interesting ..lots of fantasy stuff , IMO the Wight Lord BUST is the best (I woul say that eh) (go to MDC products and the dropdown figures@MDC) .......a PF member -Jimbo has sculpts with them , I like the nightwatchman he has done).

www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk

Nap

PS Carole loves the painting as well ..great stuff (y)
  11. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev. MDC, of course. I was getting mixed up with something else. Thanks for the comments mate and best wishes to Carole and Jimbo.
  12. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Like the additions John. How much blood did you lose on the thorns?;)
    Carl.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looked fun to paint, nice one (y)(y)(y)

Cheers Ron
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    John,
    Very creative work.
    Cheers
    John
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great piece of work John, the droll is great!
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for all the great comments guys. Housecarl - I've only just started taking the plasters off! :lol: